HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 08, 2003, 12:03 AM
Massachusetts
Joined Mar 2003
183 Posts
OV-10 for GWS EPS Drives

I have a CAD model half completed for a fan-fold OV-10 Bronco. Plan is to power it with twin GWS EPS geared drives, 2 GWS 7 cell NiMH batteries, 2 ICS300 speed controllers, and aileron, rudder, elevator, and retracts (robart 1/2a). Maybe flaps, but I dont think they will be necessary. May nix retracts if weight gets too high, but I cant believe that will happen.

Wingspan now is 37" or so, planning to use fan fold for a formed airfoil wing also.

What do you guys think? I will post some pictures as soon as I have something good to show...I think it will make an awesome park twin.

-Ben
ben1272 is offline Find More Posts by ben1272
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 08, 2003, 07:13 AM
Outside of Dyer, Tn. USA
Joined May 2000
7,135 Posts
So do I, sounds like a great project. Some of the guys have done Broncos in the past and they are nice planes.
Don
Don Sims is offline Find More Posts by Don Sims
Old Nov 08, 2003, 12:05 PM
TJJ
Erie, CO
Joined Jun 2003
23 Posts
Sounds great Ben. There's probably more than a few of us who'd like to piggyback on your development effort and do one of our own.

I've planning on doing a Bronco for some time now. I've got three sets of plans and one balsa kit (K&A) that I've been waiting to build. I'm specifically waiting for my RC piloting skills to catch up with my building/flying ambitions, I'm new to RC. I flew the real Bronco for a few tours back in the 80s. Let me know if you need any more specs, drawings, photos, or tech manual information, I've got a Bronco library.

Cheers,
Todd
TJJ is offline Find More Posts by TJJ
Old Nov 09, 2003, 01:06 PM
Massachusetts
Joined Mar 2003
183 Posts
Thanks for the offer! I may take you up on it.

I really like the idea of this project because the GWS drive units are cheap, and I think I could fly this at my local high school field.

I have the fuse and boom profiles in solidworks CAD now, as well as EPS drive units modeled. There will obviously be compromises in order to make it relatively simple in fan-fold foam, but I think it will look really sharp. I hope to do some work on it tonight, maybe I will post some pics then. Thanks,

Ben
Old Nov 09, 2003, 01:07 PM
Massachusetts
Joined Mar 2003
183 Posts
I will post the templates as I go so that you guys can build one at the same time, if you want. I cant guarantee how it will fly, but maybe if we wrap our collective heads around it, it will turn out better!

-Ben
Old Nov 09, 2003, 01:35 PM
G G Ghost Pirates !!!
USA, NC, Gastonia
Joined Dec 2001
8,825 Posts
i am definately interested
Vyceroy is offline Find More Posts by Vyceroy
Old Nov 11, 2003, 10:54 PM
Massachusetts
Joined Mar 2003
183 Posts
Here is the CAD for the fuselage. You can see the robart 1/2a nose gear and the 2 GWS drives modeled.

Few more nights like tonight and I will be cutting in no time!

I can send files to anyone who might be interested in trying to make one. Keep in mind that it is experimental at this point..(i.e. it may not fly very well!)
Old Jan 07, 2004, 12:34 PM
Vallejo, California, United States
Joined Sep 2003
116 Posts
Was there a final product ???
frebaln is offline Find More Posts by frebaln
Old Jan 09, 2004, 06:09 PM
Cleared Hot!
Melbourne, FL
Joined Feb 2001
501 Posts
You guys beat me to it... I wanted to do exactly this same thing one day. Every FFF plane I make, I think "I oughta do a GWS Bronco...) Woohoo, here it comes!! What are the pointy things at the back of the tailbooms though?

BTW if you need some scale reference, check out the website I do on the side: www.OV-10Bronco.Net I have a bunch of stuff I haven't posted so if you're looking for specific info or photos lemme know too and I'll see what I can do.

Todd-
What unit did you serve in? Check out our website and get in touch with us... everyone's welcome in the Bronco Assn. but crew members especially so... it's a good fun group (a lot like the EZone, but with a museum and a 100% scale OV-10 model)

Broncos Forever!
-Mike Whaley
(Webmaster and Director, OV-10 Bronco Association)
Merlin_FAC is offline Find More Posts by Merlin_FAC
Old Jan 09, 2004, 07:03 PM
G G Ghost Pirates !!!
USA, NC, Gastonia
Joined Dec 2001
8,825 Posts
They have one here in charlotte they fly to air shows merlin .. i love those planes
Old Jan 10, 2004, 04:14 PM
Cleared Hot!
Melbourne, FL
Joined Feb 2001
501 Posts
Hmmm... as far as we know there are no flying OV-10s in the USA that aren't owned by NASA, the Calif. Dept. of Forestry and Fire, or the US State Dept... there are several in museums, including one in North Carolina... any idea who this might be? (It could be an O-2 or an OV-1 that you're thinking of.. or the white NASA plane N524NA, which is a really beautiful aircraft.)
Merlin_FAC is offline Find More Posts by Merlin_FAC
Old Jan 10, 2004, 06:41 PM
G G Ghost Pirates !!!
USA, NC, Gastonia
Joined Dec 2001
8,825 Posts
looks like one to me Merlin .. i will look at my museum news letter