HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 12, 2012, 04:12 PM
United States, CA, Oceanside
Joined Apr 2011
4,992 Posts
Discussion
Parkzone Micro Corsair aileron issue

A friend of mine gave me a Parkzone Micro F4U Corsair that had been crashed with one wing almost sheard off. I fixed the wing but when I bound it to my Spektrum DX5e TX all control surfaces worked except for the ailerons. They basically only work one way. If I turn right, the both ailerons go up, if I turn Left, both ailerons go down; this is without power applied to the prop. If I put the prop at full throttle, the left aileron basically will move intermittently. The right aileron appears to work OK. Anyone know how to fix this issue? Can this plane be flown with just rudder and elevator like the HZ Champ?
chucksolo69 is offline Find More Posts by chucksolo69
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 12, 2012, 04:34 PM
United States, CA, Mountain View
Joined Sep 2010
316 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksolo69 View Post
A friend of mine gave me a Parkzone Micro F4U Corsair that had been crashed with one wing almost sheard off. I fixed the wing but when I bound it to my Spektrum DX5e TX all control surfaces worked except for the ailerons. They basically only work one way. If I turn right, the both ailerons go up, if I turn Left, both ailerons go down; this is without power applied to the prop. If I put the prop at full throttle, the left aileron basically will move intermittently. The right aileron appears to work OK. Anyone know how to fix this issue? Can this plane be flown with just rudder and elevator like the HZ Champ?
If that plane is like some of the other 2 plug boards, it can be put into a mode where the two aileron ports are bound to each other with one reversed *or* where it is an independent channel.

Maybe it is in the wrong mode? Or maybe just plugged into the wrong port?
fryfrog is offline Find More Posts by fryfrog
Old Jun 12, 2012, 07:08 PM
Power Wheels Guru
Southlake, TX
Joined Jan 2008
7,327 Posts
The wiring in the intermitent servo sounds damaged, which can also reverse the Servo, and make both servos go the same direction.

I'd replace the bad servo with a new AS2000L, or at least pull it off the plane and inspect the wiring more closely.
UNGN is offline Find More Posts by UNGN
Old Jun 12, 2012, 07:40 PM
Joined Sep 2010
316 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNGN View Post
The wiring in the intermitent servo sounds damaged, which can also reverse the Servo, and make both servos go the same direction.

I'd replace the bad servo with a new AS2000L, or at least pull it off the plane and inspect the wiring more closely.
The wiring is positive, negative and signal. I don't think wire damage could cause the servo to reverse. Swapping the power lines would probably fry the servo and anything messed up with the signal wire would surely render it completely wonky.

Are you sure when you installed the servo you didn't physically reverse it? Maybe if you look at some pictures of the plane you'll find that one servo is 180 degrees from the other?

FWIW, this is exactly the behavior I saw in my Beast and Mosquito when I unbound channel 6 from the aileron channel and configured two channel ailerons w/o reversing one of them in the radio. That said, since he is talking about a DX5e... I'm not sure if that could be the case or not. Anyone know if a DX5e supports two channel ailerons? Does it maybe default to on?
Last edited by fryfrog; Jun 12, 2012 at 07:49 PM.
Old Jun 12, 2012, 08:09 PM
Joined Apr 2011
4,992 Posts
I checked the pictures and it looks like the aileron servos are installed correctly. I tried binding it to small TX that came with my mSR heli, the instructions say it can be used with this model. I even tried the servo reversing like it showed in the instruction manual for the plane; still no go. Both ailerons still want to go up or down together. No big deal since this thing only cost me about an hours work on my friend's PC, but it would be nice if it worked like it is supposed to. I would say that the DX5e has to support the two channel ailerons since it is one of the TXs that is said to be compatible with the UM Corsair.
Old Jun 12, 2012, 08:26 PM
United States, IL, Washington
Joined Nov 2008
1,955 Posts
[QUOTE=fryfrog;21880035]The wiring is positive, negative and signal. I don't think wire damage could cause the servo to reverse. Swapping the power lines would probably fry the servo and anything messed up with the signal wire would surely render it completely wonky.

What UNGN said is right, that's how you reverse these servos by shorting the positive and signal wires. It also seems some times these servos reverse themselves for no apparent reason.

Chuck get a servo reverser because this is probably not the only time you'll need it.
TODD
I R Irv is online now Find More Posts by I R Irv
Old Jun 12, 2012, 08:29 PM
Happy Habu Hustler
Joined May 2012
1,093 Posts
I concur with fryfrog; this is what happens when channels 2 and 6 are separated.

If you've bound to the non-computer transmitter that came with the mSR you may need to change the dip switches.

A call to Horizon tech support seems in order; they'll know exactly what to do about this.
kevinrc is offline Find More Posts by kevinrc
Old Jun 12, 2012, 10:02 PM
Joined Apr 2011
4,992 Posts
Hey, thanks for all the advice guys. Yep, I went to my local HobbyTown and they had the $1.99 Spektrum Servo Reverser. I plugged it in, put in the battery, uplugged the battery, turned on the TX, plugged in the battery and PRESTO, the aileron servos work like they should. Not bad for free huh. Although the plane is a little ugly with all the CA and glue holding the wing together, it looks pretty strong. May try to fly it tomorrow. BTW - The servo reverser needs to be unplugged from the receiver after it does its magic.
Old Jun 12, 2012, 10:22 PM
Power Wheels Guru
Southlake, TX
Joined Jan 2008
7,327 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fryfrog View Post
The wiring is positive, negative and signal. I don't think wire damage could cause the servo to reverse. Swapping the power lines would probably fry the servo and anything messed up with the signal wire would surely render it completely wonky.

Are you sure when you installed the servo you didn't physically reverse it? Maybe if you look at some pictures of the plane you'll find that one servo is 180 degrees from the other?

FWIW, this is exactly the behavior I saw in my Beast and Mosquito when I unbound channel 6 from the aileron channel and configured two channel ailerons w/o reversing one of them in the radio. That said, since he is talking about a DX5e... I'm not sure if that could be the case or not. Anyone know if a DX5e supports two channel ailerons? Does it maybe default to on?
If Signal is Shorted to positive, the AS2000 servos will reverse.

This is how the reverser cable works. It shorts the signal wire to positive.

If the brick had been switched to separate 2/6, one aileron would work normal and the other one would only move when the DX5 bind switch is moved, so that wouldn't be his problem.
Old Jun 12, 2012, 11:38 PM
Joined Sep 2010
316 Posts
Quote:
If Signal is Shorted to positive, the AS2000 servos will reverse.

This is how the reverser cable works. It shorts the signal wire to positive.

If the brick had been switched to separate 2/6, one aileron would work normal and the other one would only move when the DX5 bind switch is moved, so that wouldn't be his problem.
Interesting! I'd only read about the servo reversing wire wrt the Carbon Cub, I thought it was unique to the offset servos. I guess that means the little bit of extra wiring I have that looks like a servo extension is *actually* a servo reverser! Thanks for the knowledge! Does each use of the reverser wire change the direction? Can you use it once to make it go up, then use it again to make it go down and then use it a third time to make it go up again?
Old Jun 13, 2012, 07:13 AM
Power Wheels Guru
Southlake, TX
Joined Jan 2008
7,327 Posts
The Reverer cable reverses the servo every time its installed and the servo won't work properly while its there. Its to be removed right after the sevo reverses.

More than a few people have been sold reverser cables as a "servo Extension" and they will not work as one.
Old Jun 13, 2012, 03:40 PM
Joined Sep 2010
316 Posts
Quote:
The Reverer cable reverses the servo every time its installed and the servo won't work properly while its there. Its to be removed right after the sevo reverses.

More than a few people have been sold reverser cables as a "servo Extension" and they will not work as one.
Thanks!