http://travelkit.msnbc.msn.com/_news...-the-wind?lite
jduvall is offline Find More Posts by jduvall
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 12, 2012, 02:15 PM
Wake up, feel pulse, be happy!
United States, AK, Fairbanks
Joined Aug 2009
12,425 Posts
I'll go crawl into a corner and cry now.
C₄H₁₀ is offline Find More Posts by C₄H₁₀
Old Jun 12, 2012, 02:36 PM
Stick, roger ball.
United States, TX, Rockwall
Joined Oct 2011
344 Posts
That hurts my heart. I feel so bad about education in the US.

I saw an episode of "the Tonight Show" where Jay Leno asked an African American woman on the street who won the US Civil War. Her response, "Unfortunately, the south did."
Stick_01 is offline Find More Posts by Stick_01
Old Jun 12, 2012, 04:39 PM
Retardedly intelligent
beavercreek,ohio
Joined Jan 2007
3,854 Posts
WOW just WOW, I think I'm going to go pound my head into the side of the wall now..
foam and tape is offline Find More Posts by foam and tape
Last edited by foam and tape; Jun 13, 2012 at 09:45 AM. Reason: The picture hurt someones feelings...
Old Jun 12, 2012, 04:59 PM
ROFLCOPTER
United States, KY, Louisville
Joined Mar 2011
230 Posts
I don't see what's so funny. The gun analogy doesn't really seem relevant, but that doesn't make it funny or sad.
Iron Savior is offline Find More Posts by Iron Savior
Last edited by Iron Savior; Jun 12, 2012 at 05:08 PM.
Old Jun 12, 2012, 05:21 PM
in the beginning...
United States, MO, De Soto
Joined Mar 2012
475 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Savior View Post
I don't see what's so funny. The gun analogy doesn't really seem relevant, but that doesn't make it funny or sad.
for me its sad, first paragraph the writer indicates that he has no brain Not sure why you have to be a famous pilot to have common sense...

By Sean O'Neill, Condé Nast Traveler
Now we’re no famous pilots, but it seems so counterintuitive: Wouldn't a pilot have an easier time if, instead of rushing into the gale, the wind were coming from behind the aircraft — giving it a push, so to speak? We remember what happened a few months ago in Spain when fierce winds at Bilbao’s Internatinal Loiu Aiport made planes wobble dramatically during takeoffs and landings. We asked scientists to break it down for us.

and the fact that the math is wrong...

In short, pilots like to take off into a headwind because it helps them achieve "wheels up" faster. "A jetliner like a Boeing 747, needs at least 150 mph of airspeed to become airborne," says Gudmundsson. "Without wind, the plane has to accelerate to a groundspeed of 180 mph to lift off, but when you have a 30 mph headwind, the plane only has to accelerate to 150 mph, thanks to the extra boost it gets from the headwind."
bm2thirsty is offline Find More Posts by bm2thirsty
Old Jun 12, 2012, 05:34 PM
ROFLCOPTER
United States, KY, Louisville
Joined Mar 2011
230 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bm2thirsty View Post
for me its sad, first paragraph the writer indicates that he has no brain Not sure why you have to be a famous pilot to have common sense...

In short, pilots like to take off into a headwind because it helps them achieve "wheels up" faster. "A jetliner like a Boeing 747, needs at least 150 mph of airspeed to become airborne," says Gudmundsson. "Without wind, the plane has to accelerate to a groundspeed of 180 mph to lift off, but when you have a 30 mph headwind, the plane only has to accelerate to 150 mph, thanks to the extra boost it gets from the headwind."
The author didn't make the error. The person he interviewed did. He wasn't writing a technical guide on how to compute the airspeed, he just made a mistake while speaking. Chill out.

Also, the question is fair. This is an article on a travel site. Why would an average traveler even know this? They don't have to know it. It doesn't benefit them to know it. As far as a traveler is concerned, it really doesn't matter because they still get to where they are going more or less on time. It seems like a fair question to me. If it seems like a dumb question, then maybe it's because you expect the random schmoe to know something about aerodynamic theory?

If a public school curriculum even mentions it at all, they don't spend more than an hour on the subject over a student's career.
Iron Savior is offline Find More Posts by Iron Savior
Old Jun 12, 2012, 05:45 PM
Shelter Kitty "Orange Death"
United States, FL, Monroe
Joined Jan 2008
3,165 Posts
All I know is that I can run faster downwind than upwind.
If I shoot a gun at someone behind me the recoil will make me run even faster.

Article makes perfect sense...
bartricky is offline Find More Posts by bartricky
Old Jun 12, 2012, 05:50 PM
in the beginning...
Joined Mar 2012
475 Posts
if the question is fair, yet no one needs to know it then why do it? that makes no sense at all. it doesnt take a genius to understand that you need to run into the wind to get a kite to fly instead of downwind does it? 10 yr olds figure it out in 2 minutes.
Old Jun 12, 2012, 06:08 PM
Carthage, TX
United States, TX, Tenaha
Joined Mar 2012
556 Posts
It's MSNBC!!!
Colbyntx is offline Find More Posts by Colbyntx
Old Jun 12, 2012, 06:24 PM
Aircraftus Fragmentum
United States, IL, Naperville
Joined Nov 2009
176 Posts
So if I run really fast while holding a flashlight with the light projecting straight ahead, does it make the light go faster???

Seeya is offline Find More Posts by Seeya
Old Jun 12, 2012, 06:27 PM
Shelter Kitty "Orange Death"
United States, FL, Monroe
Joined Jan 2008
3,165 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seeya View Post
So if I run really fast while holding a flashlight with the light projecting straight ahead, does it make the light go faster???

No silly, there's no recoil in a flashlight.
bartricky is offline Find More Posts by bartricky
Old Jun 12, 2012, 06:29 PM
in the beginning...
Joined Mar 2012
475 Posts

only if your running down a hill with the wind! then yes
Old Jun 12, 2012, 06:40 PM
Aircraftus Fragmentum
Joined Nov 2009
176 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bartricky View Post
No silly, there's no recoil in a flashlight.
Maybe it's an .88 Magnum flashlight
Old Jun 12, 2012, 06:45 PM
Aircraftus Fragmentum
Joined Nov 2009
176 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bm2thirsty View Post

only if your running down a hill with the wind! then yes
So relatively speaking, I *can* add my speed to the speed of light as long as I'm running downhill with the wind? Awesome!