HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 12, 2012, 12:32 PM
United States, NJ, Matawan
Joined Oct 2011
13 Posts
Discussion
epp fpv hack motor mount for 12 to 14 inch prop

ok , im a noob ( in aircraft hacking )

i have the hbbykng epp fpv . id like to install the turnigy ".32/530 kv" , i realize this is obscenely overpowered for this plane.
my main issue is the motor wont spin the recomended 10 inch prop fast enough to fly . id bet it would spin a 15 inch prop ( or at least a 12 inch ) plenty.

the real question is what happens when i move the engine mount up 2 inches ?
i have to " clear " the servos and the boom.

is there something perhaps no so aparrent that i might be missing ? is the motor placement that critical ?
im thinking of bolting an aluminum plate ( or plywood ) to the existing mount and raising the motor 2 inches higher AND maybe 2 inches foward . i think this would also help the cog , but realize the weight would be "high"
my guess is i could correct any wierdness with thrust angle . ?

what do you think ?
thanx
raggedraider is offline Find More Posts by raggedraider
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 12, 2012, 12:48 PM
An itch?. Scratch build.
South Wales U.K.
Joined Mar 2003
12,451 Posts
Have a look at the 'Review' column at the bottom of this page, this person seems happy with a 10x6 on 3s -

Turnigy G32 Brushless Outrunner 530kv from HK

If you feel it still isn't enough, how about more voltage, if using 3s, go to 4s. Raising the thrust line 2" may also require playing with the thrust line to compensate.
eflightray is offline Find More Posts by eflightray
Old Jun 12, 2012, 08:36 PM
DeBary, FL
Joined Nov 2010
1,149 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by raggedraider View Post
ok , im a noob ( in aircraft hacking )

i have the hbbykng epp fpv . id like to install the turnigy ".32/530 kv" , i realize this is obscenely overpowered for this plane.
There is a point beyond which extra power serves no useful purpose at all. (Diminishing returns.) Be careful, or something might go flash-bang, or just bang, or let all the smoke out of something important. This calculator will give you a very good clue. The most reliable final answer is a watt/ammeter. http://www.ecalc.ch/motorcalc_e.htm
jbarchuk is offline Find More Posts by jbarchuk