SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jun 12, 2012, 10:33 AM
United States, NE, Omaha
Joined Jan 2012
48 Posts
Question
Fixing up after crash, main blade grips binding on 450 Pro

So I flew my HK450 Pro for the first time last week, at the local field, forward flight, even a few stall turns. Simulator time was well worth it.

Unfortunately, my good luck made me a little too brave, and I crashed.

A replacement feathering shaft is the only part causing me trouble. Previously, I was able to tighten the grips on the feathering shaft really snug, and no binding occurred. They still moved freely.

Now, when I tighten it down, it has a really notchy binding to it, that's the best description I can give. Ultimately if I go really tight, I can barely move it.

I did replace the dampers, the HK ones were super soft so they were practically falling apart after I took the head apart. These new ones are quite stiff, I'm wondering if they are rubbing on the collar between the grip and the motor housing. I would think the outer bearing would take care of that friction, but I'm just guessing.

If I take the shaft out, and assemble it outside the housing, I can go *very* tight, and the grips are nice and smooth. The thrust bearings are greased up and look ok.

Ideas? Is this common?
psylence519 is offline Find More Posts by psylence519
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 12, 2012, 12:32 PM
Joined Jul 2011
1,389 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by psylence519 View Post
So I flew my HK450 Pro for the first time last week, at the local field, forward flight, even a few stall turns. Simulator time was well worth it.

Unfortunately, my good luck made me a little too brave, and I crashed.

A replacement feathering shaft is the only part causing me trouble. Previously, I was able to tighten the grips on the feathering shaft really snug, and no binding occurred. They still moved freely.

Now, when I tighten it down, it has a really notchy binding to it, that's the best description I can give. Ultimately if I go really tight, I can barely move it.

I did replace the dampers, the HK ones were super soft so they were practically falling apart after I took the head apart. These new ones are quite stiff, I'm wondering if they are rubbing on the collar between the grip and the motor housing. I would think the outer bearing would take care of that friction, but I'm just guessing.

If I take the shaft out, and assemble it outside the housing, I can go *very* tight, and the grips are nice and smooth. The thrust bearings are greased up and look ok.

Ideas? Is this common?
check if you miss putting bearing spacer and washer in. Do you apply grease on feather shaft too. what brand dampener you used and what is the color?
wlee1017 is offline Find More Posts by wlee1017
Old Jun 12, 2012, 02:20 PM
United States, NE, Omaha
Joined Jan 2012
48 Posts
The spacer is between the damper and the outer grip bearing, and there is a washer between the inner bearing and the thrust bearing in the grip.

Where do you grease the feathering shaft? Looks like on the TRex manual you just put some on the ends of the shaft itself? This feels like more than a lack of grease kind of issue, but maybe not.

The dampers are these: http://hobby-wing.com/tl1291-02.html and they are black. They are significantly more stiff than the HobbyKing ones that came with the head.
Old Jun 12, 2012, 05:21 PM
United States, NE, Omaha
Joined Jan 2012
48 Posts
I think the rigidity of the dampers combined with the fact that they were a bit wider than the originals bound it up. I just cut about 1mm off of two dampers and used them in the head. It tightens up just fine and there's no play in the shaft.
Old Jun 15, 2012, 01:29 AM
Joined Mar 2012
386 Posts
Did you put the spacer the other way around?
volumax is offline Find More Posts by volumax
Old Jun 15, 2012, 10:42 AM
United States, NE, Omaha
Joined Jan 2012
48 Posts
I'm not sure what you mean by the other way around.
Old Jun 16, 2012, 12:43 PM
Joined Mar 2012
386 Posts
If we are referring to same thing as "spacer" one side is bigger then the other, so just turn it around.
Old Jun 16, 2012, 12:43 PM
Joined Mar 2012
386 Posts
than*