HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 12, 2012, 08:50 AM
Joined Nov 2010
47 Posts
Discussion
Flyzone super cub

I've read alot about the flyzone super cub being underpowered, so i decided to change the motor. I installed an rc timer motor. It's a 2212-06 that is a 2200Kv.I've tried a couple of different props but can't seem to get the cub into the air. It seems to lose power when it's about 4 feet off the ground. It's got a 7X4 prop on it now and puts out 200 Watts. I would think that 200 watts should fly this plane with no problem. Thanks
dsawyer44 is offline Find More Posts by dsawyer44
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 12, 2012, 12:28 PM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
24,612 Posts
Depending on the weight of the new motor chances are your bird weights close to 2 pound or over the stock 30.xx ounces putting your 200watt at close to or under 100watt per pound.

If you are losing power it maybe too hard on the battery you are using.
freechip is offline Find More Posts by freechip
Old Jun 12, 2012, 03:27 PM
CA...gimme the CA...
United States, GA, Savannah
Joined Jun 2005
493 Posts
Excellent....I've been pondering this same question...what components to use as replacements. The SC has an ESC rated at what, 18A? And I believe I weighed in at 31oz (I'll need to verify that). I've started looking around for appropriate motors, and it's not that easy to find one that has enough power without exceeding the 18A ESC limit.

Anyways, my SC just decided to stop working this last weekend. Plugged in the battery, checked the throws and motor, taxied down the runway, then it just quit. No matter what I did, I got nothing. It seems to have completely wigged out. I haven't checked to see if it's the ESC or whatever, I'll get to it in a day or so. But I am *very* concerned about this "failsafe" thing Flyzone uses. It's a good thing it stopped working on the ground, as the other possibility is failing in the air. I'll tell ya one thing, I am REMOVING the stock receiver and anything else related to the failsafe.

I've only bought two planes with all electronics installed, and so far everything except the servos have failed in both planes, and even the servos are questionable. Oh well, live and learn...
whowhatwhere is offline Find More Posts by whowhatwhere