HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 12, 2012, 05:12 AM
Hangin' for a strong SW
Australia, VIC, Sebastopol
Joined Apr 2012
753 Posts
Discussion
Are Blade Heli's really worth the extra cost?

As the thread title states, is it really worth paying the premium for a Blade branded heli, FP, Quad or CP?

There are so many other options out there, but what I have been reading in these forums is everyone who asks "where to from here?" seems to be answered with the same "Blade, Blade, Blade" responses.

What about Align, Walkera, NineEagles, KDS, E-Sky etc? Most (not all) are often cheaper than their blade counterparts, and from what I've seen fly very similarly?

I would love to not have to worry about the cost of this hobby, but unfortunately as a Student on a minimal income, money is a big issue.

Can someone tell my why Blade heli's are worth the extra cost, and actually provide some concrete evidence to support this? Not just "I've flown Blades for years, and had no issues"

I'd really like to know, as I'm not sure where to go from FP heli's.

Cheers, Chris
slothy89 is offline Find More Posts by slothy89
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 12, 2012, 07:50 AM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,367 Posts
They are consistent quality. You always know what you are getting.
They are widely sold, so internet help is always available, if you need it.
They are available at most local hobby stores (LHS).
They receive good support from Horizon Hobby.
They don't change very often, so parts are available for a long time.
They have a pretty good progression from one model to the next, using one transmitter for all.

Aside from that, I'm always going to support my LHS whenever I can. They are friendly, knowledgeable and very helpful.

However, your location is going to dictate your choices. I see a lot of people in Australia making some unfortunate choices based entirely on cost.
Balr14 is offline Find More Posts by Balr14
Last edited by Balr14; Jun 12, 2012 at 08:00 AM.
Old Jun 12, 2012, 10:42 AM
Hangin' for a strong SW
Joined Apr 2012
753 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balr14 View Post
.However, your location is going to dictate your choices. I see a lot of people in Australia making some unfortunate choices based entirely on cost.
This is why I sought this advice, as Blade's are ridiculously expensive in Australia.

I am considering going the blade route as a friend has offered me his unused, as new, DX7 w/ RX at a reasonable discount (yet to find out exactly how much)
And i know blade use the Spektrum protocol.

Also I've seen the MCPx be suggested as a starter cp, wouldn't a larger Heli be better due to the more docile control response? Or is this theory based on "if you can fly the MCPx you can fly anything?"
Old Jun 12, 2012, 11:12 AM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,367 Posts
The distinction between large and small gets cloudy with flybarless helis. They both have direct linkage between swashplate and head and 3 axis gyros with flybarless control systems. The primary difference is going to be head speed. Small helis use a lot higher headspeed, so they are capable of responding and moving quicker. But, a good programmable radio can adjust response and feel to whatever suits you. You will never remove all of the difference in head speed, but you can get fairly close.

Blade uses the BeastX system on many models and their own designed system on small models. Both are quite good. The biggest selling point of the MCPx is it's very durable. It will sustain many crashes with little or no damage. Bigger helis will sustain damage with any kind of incident. Even tipping over while landing will cost you blades, feathering shafts and other head parts. It's a lot to pay for a small difference in difficulty. Particularly if you don't have local access to parts. If you have a week of downtime for every 2 minutes of flight time, it's going to take a very long time to learn.
Old Jun 12, 2012, 11:21 AM
Hangin' for a strong SW
Joined Apr 2012
753 Posts
Good point.. The couple hobby shops I've been into, only sold the msr an the mcx. One sold the mqx. But these were all crazy expensive compared to china prices.

Now I've seen you (Balr) suggest the mqx as a cp trainer, and as fun as it looks, I think the MCPx will give a shorter/cheaper learning process, as I'd probably get the MCPx after the mqx anyway.

Could you suggest any decent online retailers that offer the MCPx at good prices/shipping? As long as they post to Australia I don't care where it comes from too much.
BNF and RTF please, as I may get the Heli before the Dx7 I mentioned. All depends on money situations at the time it comes to buying.
Old Jun 12, 2012, 11:32 AM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,367 Posts
I found the MQx is the perfect trainer for anyone with a little experience. It has the stability of a coax, can be very docile and gentle yet has the response and movement authority of any CP heli. It will out-perfom any FP heli by a wide margin. Best of all, it's more durable than anything else you will find. I've crashed hundreds of times and all I've replaced was two defective motors, that Horizon replaced for free. I also have an MCPx, but I fly the MQx a lot more because the flight times are double the MCPx and I never have to worry about breaking anything.

Blade helis are price controlled. There are no online sites that can sell any cheaper than a LHS. A-Main Hobbies does seem to be able to offer somewhat better deals than anyone else, until Horizon finds out, anyway. EBay is also a possibility. There's a pretty healthy market for used Blade products.
Old Jun 12, 2012, 11:52 AM
Hangin' for a strong SW
Joined Apr 2012
753 Posts
Ok thanks for your help mate. I'll keep thinking about it I guess you've given me some clearer points on what's the fuss about blade.
Old Jun 12, 2012, 12:16 PM
Hong Kong
Joined Jan 2010
6,136 Posts
You should be careful when buying stuff from overseas. As far as I could remember, Australia has a pretty tough policy on import duties. You may well end up paying much more than you do locally. The prices of Blade products do not seem to be much more expensive than those in America. It may also be worthwhile checking what if any support HH provides to Australia. It does not provide directly support to Hong Kong and that's why I find it very difficult to justify the premium. Having had 4 MCPx, I do not find their quality to be significantly better either.
zadaw is online now Find More Posts by zadaw
Old Jun 12, 2012, 01:25 PM
United States, AL, Morris
Joined Mar 2012
312 Posts
Having started on a Walkera CB180D and later picking up a Blade 120sr, I find the price of Blades are well worth it to me. I am sure Walkera has some better quality units than the 180, but after trying to read gibberish manuals, not being able to find parts locally, and constantly being down due to breakage, I'll stick with Blade.

There are 4 LHS close to where I live that sell Blade helis and parts, and I love the fact I can just bring it in, show it to the heli guy and say, 'do you have one of these little thingies?'...not to mention all the collective knowledge and help here and other Internet sources.

Yes, well worth it to me. When it's all said and done, Blade is a bargain.
steveap1 is offline Find More Posts by steveap1
Old Jun 12, 2012, 02:24 PM
United States, CA
Joined Jan 2012
1,454 Posts
Deleted.
J_skaggs is offline Find More Posts by J_skaggs
Last edited by J_skaggs; Jun 12, 2012 at 02:29 PM.
Old Jun 12, 2012, 02:31 PM
United States, CA
Joined Jan 2012
1,454 Posts
I have three Blade heli's and would purchase again. Blade heli's are worth it to me for all the reasons stated in previous posts.
J_skaggs is offline Find More Posts by J_skaggs
Old Jun 12, 2012, 03:05 PM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,367 Posts
The manuals are a point I overlooked. They appear to be written by people who actually speak English. I read some of the Walkera or NE manuals just for a good laugh. They are really funny.
Old Jun 13, 2012, 08:46 PM
Hobby King Hater
USA
Joined Mar 2005
4,364 Posts
We bought two small FP helios, both have been sitting for months waiting on parts that
may never come. $300 wasted money, batteries we will never use, spare blades,,

SSH200, flybar pivot wore out, not crash damage.. OUT OF STOCK.

Novus 200 wore out the tail gears, they have the pinion, not the bevel gear.
Flybar is so flimsy, too quick on the throttle will bend it and cause severe
vibration.

We went to the LHS and got a Blade SR120. It is better built than either of the
others and the LHS has EVERY piece in stock, every last piece. They can
build one from their parts stock!

Brad has about ten flights on it and it is great!

The only thing they didn't have was a spare battery, they shipped the wrong ones
and he is going to give us two more batteries, no charge.
Kimber is offline Find More Posts by Kimber
Old Jun 13, 2012, 09:01 PM
Hangin' for a strong SW
Joined Apr 2012
753 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimber View Post
We bought two small FP helios, both have been sitting for months waiting on parts that
may never come. $300 wasted money, batteries we will never use, spare blades,,

SSH200, flybar pivot wore out, not crash damage.. OUT OF STOCK.

Novus 200 wore out the tail gears, they have the pinion, not the bevel gear.
Flybar is so flimsy, too quick on the throttle will bend it and cause severe
vibration.

We went to the LHS and got a Blade SR120. It is better built than either of the
others and the LHS has EVERY piece in stock, every last piece. They can
build one from their parts stock!

Brad has about ten flights on it and it is great!

The only thing they didn't have was a spare battery, they shipped the wrong ones
and he is going to give us two more batteries, no charge.
I've never heard of the first two heli's you mentioned, probably why stock is hard to come by! This is why I'm asking about brands that are more readily available, such as NineEagles, Walkera etc..

But good to hear your Blade is doing well! Although I might add, I am purely looking at CP only at this point, I have a couple FP's I enjoy thoroughly already, looking at the next step up.
Old Jun 13, 2012, 09:02 PM
Hangin' for a strong SW
Joined Apr 2012
753 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balr14 View Post
The manuals are a point I overlooked. They appear to be written by people who actually speak English. I read some of the Walkera or NE manuals just for a good laugh. They are really funny.
I don't think I ever ready my SoloPro manual... All the info I needed was in the FAQ thread here in Real English :P You can only get so much out of a manual. I find asking someone with hands on experience much better for learning (at least for me)