Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jun 11, 2012, 11:27 PM
This Calls for a Sexy Party
Minneapolis
Joined Sep 2010
639 Posts
Discussion
Learning to rewind motor, any tips ?

So i'm completely clueless at rewinding motor, i got some 18-11 motors that might need rewinding in the future.
I'm not sure about the wire size, most of my motor will be at around 10g ( i might get some bigger motor in the future though, but nothing bigger than 20g )

where can i get some wire for an affordable price, i don't want to buy $40 worth of wire just to rewind a few motors ( but i don't want to pay a ridiculous price for a small amount of wire either. )

is Radio Shack wire good enough for brushless motor ?

Any guide on rewinding motor too ? pictures or video explaining the process is a big +.

thanks Rcgrouper.
StewieRC is offline Find More Posts by StewieRC
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 12, 2012, 01:42 AM
characters welcome!
United States, CA, Bear Valley Springs
Joined Feb 2000
26,267 Posts
Here's an entire forum with all the info you need: http://www.rcgroups.com/electric-mot...struction-361/

mw
Mark Wood is online now Find More Posts by Mark Wood
Old Jun 12, 2012, 02:16 AM
This Calls for a Sexy Party
Minneapolis
Joined Sep 2010
639 Posts
thanks MW, i just realized that i posted this in a wrong forum.
StewieRC is offline Find More Posts by StewieRC
Old Jun 12, 2012, 04:09 AM
homo ludens modellisticus
The Netherlands, GE, Nijmegen
Joined Feb 2001
10,575 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by StewieRC View Post
... is Radio Shack wire good enough for brushless motor ? ...
Radio Shack wire is not suited for rewinding, the insulation lacquer is not good enough, will give shorts
www.gobrushless.com has excellent quaility winding wire, and lots of other goodies.

Or go to your local friendly motor/transformer rewinder/refurbisher or repair shop. Excellent quality, all gauges, penny stuff, you'll probably get it for free if you bring your motor along. They love it when they can handle a motor without an overhead crane And maybe let them have a spin with your plane once you have finished your motor? You know, in case you need wire again for your next motor

Use thickest wire possible for desired number of turns, for higher efficiency and more power.

Motor (re)winding 101
www.southernsoaringclub.org.za
-> Articles from Southeasters
-> Electric Motors - part 1 ... part 5

Tips, tricks, manuals, videos, checks, tests in this sticky/faq
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=240993

Vriendelijke groeten Ron van Sommeren
Ron van Sommeren is offline Find More Posts by Ron van Sommeren
Old Jun 13, 2012, 11:45 AM
United States, WA, Seattle
Joined Jan 2007
5,208 Posts
Strongly suggest you get this kit to start::
http://www.gobrushless.com/shop/inde...dshow&ref=GB20

Starting on commercial motors is certainly possible but I think it compromises the learning experience and ups the frustration level....sometimes a LOT when people want to rewind broken motors that are really nasty-which is pretty frequent.
FWIW, really small motors are harder than they appear.

Instructions are on line and you'll get important practice on well made and easy kit, plus you'll have extra wire. Make SURE you know the difference between ABC and dLRK winds and the differences between delta and star termination. After that it's practice, experience, and art. You no more can pull off a top notch wind your first time out than you can fly well on your first try.
flydiver is offline Find More Posts by flydiver
Old Jun 13, 2012, 07:45 PM
Jack
USA, ME, Ellsworth
Joined May 2008
16,806 Posts
Here are a couple manuals for assembling kit motor that are good tutorials too. One is a 9 arm stator the other is a 12 arm stator so they will get you though either type.

To get stared, post the original turn count, termination, and Kv info here if you know it or can figure it out. Also the number strands and their size will let us help you choose a good wire size and turn count to get started with.

KH-257 12 arm stator - http://www.micronradiocontrol.co.uk/...o/KH-257-2.pdf

KH-278 - 9 arm stator - http://www.micronradiocontrol.co.uk/.../KH-278-v2.pdf

Those two manuals will get you through the winding and terminating process.

Jack
jackerbes is offline Find More Posts by jackerbes
Old Jun 22, 2012, 07:50 AM
Central Maryland
Joined Apr 2008
228 Posts
I have a motor that keeps running for about 7 seconds longer when I pull my throttle down. Anybody know what could cause that. Would that be a sign its on its way out and could use a rewinding?

Have treid everything to resolve the issue with no success.
VIDEOPRO is offline Find More Posts by VIDEOPRO
Old Jun 22, 2012, 08:02 AM
Jack
USA, ME, Ellsworth
Joined May 2008
16,806 Posts
The motor runs when the ESC send signals to it. And can't run if the ESC does not send signals to it. So I'm more incliced to think that there is something wrong with either your ESC or your TX.

Jack
jackerbes is offline Find More Posts by jackerbes
Old Jun 22, 2012, 09:12 AM
Central Maryland
Joined Apr 2008
228 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackerbes View Post
The motor runs when the ESC send signals to it. And can't run if the ESC does not send signals to it. So I'm more incliced to think that there is something wrong with either your ESC or your TX.

Jack
Already replaced both of those and still have the same problem. Tried resetting throttle points. Reset esc settings. Even rebinded to my older DX6 and still the same issue with the same motor. Totally deleted from transmitter and reset in another memory slot on transmitter. I did change the motor out with another and it works fine. It is something with this perticular motor that is giving me the continuation of running 7 seconds after throttle down. It used to work just fine, but now I have this problem. I have narrowed it down to being the motor. But I just do not understand why it is doing that. Solder connections are all good and strong.
VIDEOPRO is offline Find More Posts by VIDEOPRO