SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jun 11, 2012, 01:22 PM
Joined Dec 2011
7 Posts
Discussion
Dollar tree beginer with flaperons

I am a beginner and thought I would build a dollar tree plane using only 1 sheet of foam, and came up with this. I had maybe a 2 x 3 piece of foam left when done. I wanted the largest wing possible, and planned to only use flaperons. First flights with this plane was on a windy day, but got into the air, and the wind just pushed the plane around. 4 attempts, and then we just packed up to go home.

Wing load is right around 5oz per sqft. using a 8 x 4 prop with this motor. http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=5423 it pulled really good. Plane weighs just a touch under 11 oz (306 grams). I left the paper on the foam, but could maybe loose another 1.5 oz if I selectivlely removed some of the paper, and more if I used my other much lighter motor . Was very happy that it flew how it did in the wind, and I was able to land it without any damage. Will hopefully go out again soon when the wind is not blowing. Was not really sure how the plane would respond with flaperons only but put those questions to rest once it was up in the air.

Billyisgr8 is offline Find More Posts by Billyisgr8
Last edited by Billyisgr8; Jun 11, 2012 at 01:25 PM. Reason: forgot something
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 11, 2012, 05:09 PM
Oklahoma
Joined Aug 2008
669 Posts
I wouldn't remove the paper, the sandwich of the foam with paper on both sides makes it like plywood, it adds a LOT of stiffness and strength. Removing the paper from the foam will weaken it substantially, and if you did that you would probably need to add stiffeners, which would probably end up weighing more than the paper you removed.

You might also consider covering it with packing tape, that also adds stiffness and adds a substantial amount to the durability of the plane. You usually have to order packing tape in colors, but you can get clear packing tape at WalMart and it works pretty well, not quite as pretty as the colored tape but looks pretty good and functions the same as the colors.
Wingman26 is offline Find More Posts by Wingman26
Old Jun 11, 2012, 05:59 PM
This Calls for a Sexy Party
Minneapolis
Joined Sep 2010
639 Posts
thats Elevon, not flapperon.
Flapperon is when you combine Flap ( on the wing ) and aileron ( on the wing ) together.
StewieRC is offline Find More Posts by StewieRC