SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jun 11, 2012, 12:44 PM
Joined Jan 2012
18 Posts
Video
Agri-Duck dropping candy

It's time for the West End Wings 34th Annual Father's Day Airshow, so I was practicing this past Sunday.

My dad and I built this last August to drop some serious candy for the little kids at the airshow. It is 110" in span, weighs 25 lbs wet, has a 45cc RCGF 2-stroke for power and is dropping 2.0 lbs of candy in the video. Construction is mostly 3/16th foam board. We re-engineered much of the structure, but not the geometry and general layout.

It's big, loud, slow, and orange...what else could you want?

Hope people like it.
wewprez is offline Find More Posts by wewprez
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 11, 2012, 06:23 PM
United States, NC, Kinston
Joined Mar 2012
3 Posts
Nice. Good landing too.
drsgfire is offline Find More Posts by drsgfire
Old Aug 20, 2012, 12:14 PM
United States, MD, Solomons
Joined Feb 2002
1,954 Posts
Very cool, i'm building one now. Is your horizontal stab removable? What other mods did you make? I planned on making a "working hopper" on mine.

Kyle
gromitvt10 is offline Find More Posts by gromitvt10
Old Sep 10, 2012, 03:10 PM
Joined Jan 2012
18 Posts
Mods

Kyle,

Tail and fuse is all one piece but each wing comes off.

We didn't change the planform lines of the plane, but upped the structure since it was way weak as designed; especially where the wing attached. Use 1/2" or 3/8" aircraft ply for where the wing bolts will go. We also made the wing struts from 2 steel broom handles (from the dollar store); do NOT try the balsa struts at all!

We put a 45cc RCGF engine on it instead of the .61 glow, so more structure was required. Use fiberglass drywall tape along high stress areas on the foam board as you build...it really helped. Use cable rigging from the stab to the fuse to cut down on wiggling.

We made the gear out of pvc. I used 1/4 scale servos for each aileron and rudder, and two standards on the elevator. Used a 6V 2000 Ni-mH
for the flight pack and a separate one for the engine ignition.

Good luck with it.

Herb
wewprez is offline Find More Posts by wewprez
Old Sep 11, 2012, 01:24 PM
United States, MD, Solomons
Joined Feb 2002
1,954 Posts
Herb,
Thanks for the info, mine is about 10lbs lighter than yours. I'm using an electric setup, 2 flights on her so far and she is still in one piece, although i'm still perfecting my power setup. As soon as i get everything squared away i'll start my powder drop runs. Here is my bird.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1725238
gromitvt10 is offline Find More Posts by gromitvt10
Old Sep 13, 2012, 03:06 PM
Garden Grove, CA
Joined Mar 2010
409 Posts
VERY NICE landing!!!!
stevenmurrell is offline Find More Posts by stevenmurrell