HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 11, 2012, 12:10 PM
Joined Jun 2012
4 Posts
Discussion
New E-REVO, questions.

First up, this is my first post here so i'll try be clear and honest:

I currently own a HBX Rival Buggy, I have driven it pretty hard, but I am tired of spending money on it, namely new diffs and such as the build quality is poor and not much enjoyment is had because batteries go flat quickly and waiting for new parts of fixing something broken.

I have been looking around and have decided to get an E-REVO; this is a massive improvement as far as build quality/durability, battery life (2x 2s lipos vs 1x 6s nimh), performance and price go but I think I am ready to take the plunge.

Looking around at pricing in Australia and online I noticed I can get a brushed E-REVO and a HobbyWing M6A Brushless Combo, as well as a new mounting bracket, spur gear cover, and a handful of pinion gears shipped, cheaper than I can get a Brushless Edition E-REVO.

Do you think this is a good approach or do you think I would be better off buying a Brushless Edition? (also, the older tx/rx in the brushed E-REVO is fine to use right?)

Semi related, as my current NiMh batteries will be pretty useless, as will the charger, I will need some new batteries; I intend to go 2x 2S because people say the 6S isn't as controllable and you need to take more breaks for your stuff to cool down, do you agree?

If so, I am looking at some 2S 5000mAh 25C Gens Ace batteries and a Gens Ace charger, I have heard their batteries are good but nothing about the charger, would this be ok? suggestions are appreciated.

Thats about all I am looking for at the moment because that is about all i can afford all comments welcome.

Thanks.
bgdwiepp is offline Find More Posts by bgdwiepp
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 11, 2012, 01:34 PM
United States, VA, Bedford
Joined Oct 2011
178 Posts
Since you are in Australia, I would suggest checking out a Thunder Tiger MT4 G3. It's almost half the cost of a Brushless Revo in Australia, and it is twice the truck.

Much better platform than the E-Revo. Much more durable, handles better, easier to work on. And replacement parts will be a lot cheaper for you, too.
LaTuFu is offline Find More Posts by LaTuFu
Old Jun 11, 2012, 03:16 PM
Canada, ON, Markham
Joined Aug 2008
8,846 Posts
If you do want to stay with the revo, the castle motor/ESC that comes with the brushless e-revo is a very solid power system and will likely be much more powerful and reliable than the hobbywing combo.
wparsons is offline Find More Posts by wparsons
Old Jun 11, 2012, 09:02 PM
Outdoor Extremist
Pennsylvania
Joined Jul 2010
1,006 Posts
hobbywing is junk
rustlererad3 is offline Find More Posts by rustlererad3
Old Jun 12, 2012, 12:14 AM
Joined Jun 2012
4 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaTuFu View Post
Since you are in Australia, I would suggest checking out a Thunder Tiger MT4 G3. It's almost half the cost of a Brushless Revo in Australia, and it is twice the truck.
Thanks.

I just had a look into it and "woah". Significantly cheaper but the quality seems to be there. Stock, on 4S how does it run? Any suggestions on upgrades to buy with it?

I think i'd get a second set of wheels and tires for it; lower profile ones.
Maybe a few pinion gears too, I hear a few more teeth make a big difference in performance.
New diff fluid is strongly suggested 120k/150k for center, 50k for front and rear.
Also suggested is a new steering servo, something like 20kg/cm (280 oz-in).
Maybe something to stiffen the back of the chassis as well.

Do other people think i should get the MT4 G3 over the REVO?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustlererad3
hobbywing is junk
Is this an overall community opinion or have you just had bad experiences personally and if so what were they if you don't mind me asking?
Last edited by bgdwiepp; Jun 12, 2012 at 07:22 AM. Reason: added things
Old Jun 12, 2012, 10:36 AM
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined May 2008
2,574 Posts
I've owned a few thunder tiger items and would agree that they, in general, are going to be better over Traxxas. For the servo, I have been using the Hitec 5955/7955 but I think they have been replaced by new models.

HobbyWing are generic brands with little QC and no warranty, there's a reason they are so cheap.... Personally, I would have no issue using them in a micro/mini but not in 1/10 and larger, that's just me.
Druss is offline Find More Posts by Druss
Old Jun 12, 2012, 11:02 AM
Joined Jun 2012
4 Posts
Thank you for your response.

I thought i'd ask about the "hobbywing is junk" because the ESC in the MT4 G3 looks just like the one in the hobbywing M6A kit (and the manual is the same too) but that could just be pure coincidence.
Also it is often worth asking again because often online people tend to be very brand biased so it is good to get an idea from a number of people.

The servo that has been suggested to me is the Spektrum s6030, do you think that is appropriate?

I assume you own the truck or a similar truck becuase you suggested a servo you said you use, so do you agree with my other points (smaller tires/wheels, stiffer diff and a slightly bigger pinion gear)?
Old Jun 12, 2012, 01:14 PM
Joined Oct 2011
178 Posts
Check out wondertiger.com, you'll find a ton of information (as well as a boatload of fellow ozzies) on the truck.

As far as the "HW is junk" I can definitely say that the HW 150a ESC will compete very well against the Castle MMM any day of the week. I give the nod to Castle on their motors, they seem to be more efficient and definitely run cooler in similar applications. But the stock ESC and motor in the MT4 are very capable, and are solid for an RTR setup. The ESC is a rebadged HW 150a, and the motor is a rebadged 4074 Leopard.

The hinge pins are about the only "must do" replacement part out of the box. There are several options for upgrades on this, Losi, OFNA, HPI, 3mm drill bits, etc.

The stock servo is fairly weak, but it will get the job done until you're ready to upgrade it. It would be a big negative, except that most RTR kits seem to suffer from really weak servos. A HiTec 7955TG or Savox 1256 tend to be the leading choices among the MT4 crowd, but pretty much any servo that will give you 20-24 kg-cm torque should work just fine.

I own both the MT4 and the E-Revo Brushless, and if I could do it all over again, knowing what I know now, I'd buy two MT4s. I'm keeping the ERBE because my son likes to drive it, but the next time it breaks I'm tempted to sell a roller on ebay and get another Thunder Tiger.

Its a great truck. It handles extremely well, it takes a ton of abuse, and it is very easy to work on. I have a great time driving it, and I don't ever cringe when I jump it, wondering if a diff will blow or a bulkhead will break, like I do when I'm driving the ERBE.

A couple of reviews, if you are inclined to go that route:
Thunder Tiger G3 MT4 Review (7 min 34 sec)

http://www.bigsquidrc.com/bash-vehicle-of-the-year/
Old Jun 12, 2012, 09:29 PM
Outdoor Extremist
Pennsylvania
Joined Jul 2010
1,006 Posts
great review and that truck is pretty cool
rustlererad3 is offline Find More Posts by rustlererad3
Old Jun 12, 2012, 09:45 PM
Joined Oct 2011
178 Posts
It really is an amazing value in the RC marketplace right now.

It's definitely not perfect, and it isn't bulletproof, but it is as solid and durable as any truck out there that has any reputation for durability.

It's a lot cheaper up front, requires little investment to improve, and doesn't require a lot of money to keep it running.

Something few (if any) Traxxas trucks can claim. As well as a few other well known companies out there.
Old Jun 12, 2012, 10:35 PM
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined May 2008
2,574 Posts
If thunder tiger is using a rebadged HW esc then they probably have their own quality control requirements. Just like with any manufacturer that has things made in China.

I've got an ST-1 that I converted to electric which has been pretty bullet proof to date. I also have many of their helis.
Druss is offline Find More Posts by Druss
Old Jun 13, 2012, 07:35 AM
Joined Jun 2012
4 Posts
Yeah, I've decided I'm going to get a TT MT-4 GT3, in that case I'm going to make a similar thread on wondertiger.com about it, because there are more people who can give specific advice on the truggy.

Thanks for your help here though guys, i'll include a link to the thread over there when I post it.

Linky
http://forums.wondertiger.com/viewto...p=11306#p11306
Last edited by bgdwiepp; Jun 13, 2012 at 10:03 AM.