Old Jul 05, 2012, 05:16 AM
Joined Jul 2009
29 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jab View Post
Yes, GLB has them, or himodel.com
HL W4822 490kv
http://www.goodluckbuy.com/w4822-490...er-24n22p.html
I was planning to build the same octo with the same Motor,ESC combo as yours But was not sure about the qulity.

What do you feel about the motors? are they good ? are you planning to lift any payload?
gurudutt is offline Find More Posts by gurudutt
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 05, 2012, 06:16 AM
jab
Unregistered User
Joined Aug 2007
1,057 Posts
I haven't flown the setup yet, but initial impression of the motors is good. They have the look/feel/sound you get from solid motors. They also seem to be properly factory balanced (epoxy droplets). Dry runs on the bench with CF 15x55 while not very scientific, was impressive. I had a hard time holding back the motor at 10A 16V, and there was no excessive heat afterwards. With 8 of them I do not think it will have any problem classifying as a heavy-lifter.
jab is offline Find More Posts by jab
Old Jul 05, 2012, 06:37 AM
Underwater Helicopter Badge
South Africa, WC, Cape Town
Joined Mar 2011
125 Posts
jab wrote:
Quote:
Yes, GLB has them, or himodel.com
HL W4822 490kv
Thanks mate, I've seen those before and they look good - 300W and will take up to a 6s. Guess you'll be needing at least 13 inch props on them though.
John141 is offline Find More Posts by John141
Old Jul 05, 2012, 07:13 AM
BRAZIL
Joined Jul 2010
77 Posts
Please post a video for us.
Crissbrasil is offline Find More Posts by Crissbrasil
Old Jul 05, 2012, 07:55 AM
jab
Unregistered User
Joined Aug 2007
1,057 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by John141 View Post
jab wrote:
Thanks mate, I've seen those before and they look good - 300W and will take up to a 6s. Guess you'll be needing at least 13 inch props on them though.
I want to use props in the 15-16" range for better lift efficiency. At 6S I think the 390kv version might be a better choice then. But the 490kv and 12-13" props should be fine also on 6S also.
Old Jul 05, 2012, 08:11 AM
Joined Jul 2011
405 Posts
JAB, do you think I will be fine with a AUW of 6-6.5Kg with these motors (HL W4822 490kv) and 4S?

Because when I try my possible craft at e-calc I get this:

* The Motor Voltage is close to the Limit - please verify the max. allowed Motor Voltage ** max. current over the limit of the motor. Please verify the limits (current, power, rpm) defined by the

The other alternative of motors is http://www.goodluckbuy.com/w48-30-kv...or-24n22p.html

This motor can take 29A but it weights 50% more, almost 60g x 8 = 480g more weight.

So thats my decision now.. I know you made that calcs when I sent you a PM but thats for lifting, and when I really give the craft a good throttle to speed up. Its just a question... I really want to buy and test this package (frame + motors + 15x5.5 props)
Reginak is offline Find More Posts by Reginak
Old Jul 05, 2012, 08:29 AM
Joined Jul 2009
29 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jab View Post
I haven't flown the setup yet, but initial impression of the motors is good. They have the look/feel/sound you get from solid motors. They also seem to be properly factory balanced (epoxy droplets). Dry runs on the bench with CF 15x55 while not very scientific, was impressive. I had a hard time holding back the motor at 10A 16V, and there was no excessive heat afterwards. With 8 of them I do not think it will have any problem classifying as a heavy-lifter.
can't wait to see your pics/vids online...
gurudutt is offline Find More Posts by gurudutt
Old Jul 05, 2012, 10:04 AM
jab
Unregistered User
Joined Aug 2007
1,057 Posts
Reginak: I think the W48-30 would be overkill for 6.5KG AUW. You are spending a lot of energy just lifting the weight of larger motors and battery.

If you look at the specifications for the W48-22 490kv, at 4S spinning a APC14x47 you have peak efficiency at 4.5A - 67W giving 720g (10.81g/W) of lift. That means for a octo, you should have 5.8kg of lift using just 67W on each motor.
So it is not a matter of being able to lift 6.5KG (they can), but how efficient they will be. I am guessing that the more efficient CF 15" propellers will raise the sweet spot to around the 6-7KG mark.
Old Jul 05, 2012, 12:02 PM
Emress
United States, SD, Rapid City
Joined Nov 2011
1,934 Posts
hey everyone, i saw a few pages back that some one said that it is bad if bolts are in direct contact with CF. why is this? and what should be used as a "spacer". i think i noticed this on my CF center plate when i took out a bolt(a bit of rust/dirt was built up on the bolt)
sirbow2 is offline Find More Posts by sirbow2
Old Jul 05, 2012, 05:00 PM
Norge, Vestfold, Tønsberg
Joined Apr 2010
86 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirbow2 View Post
hey everyone, i saw a few pages back that some one said that it is bad if bolts are in direct contact with CF. why is this? and what should be used as a "spacer". i think i noticed this on my CF center plate when i took out a bolt(a bit of rust/dirt was built up on the bolt)
That can happen, but steel bolts will hold for a very long time. The process will be accelerated if the joint between the two materials is exposed to an electrolyte like salt water, but in most multicopter environments that doesen't apply.

From Wikipedia: Galvanic corrosion is an electrochemical process in which one metal corrodes preferentially to another when both metals are in electrical contact and immersed in an electrolyte.
JanHenning is offline Find More Posts by JanHenning
Old Jul 06, 2012, 07:13 PM
Joined Jul 2011
405 Posts
JAB,

Do you have any picture of the frame with the 15x5,5 props? I would like to see how it looks....

Thanks
Reginak is offline Find More Posts by Reginak
Old Jul 07, 2012, 04:52 AM
Netherlands
Joined Feb 2004
437 Posts
Can anyone -who has this Goodluckbuy frame already- confirm that you can also make a hexa with it?

I ordered the Glasfiber Hexacopter, but one day after my order they have the octa from for just 20 dollars more.
They say that you can also change it in a hexacopter. Great! I ordered the octa, make a hexa with it, and have two spare armes.

Already changes the order, so hopefully you can confirm that you can make a hexa with it.

It's already shipped, I think it's here in a few days. (netherlands)

( the discription say's it can )
Remy is offline Find More Posts by Remy
Old Jul 07, 2012, 06:29 AM
jab
Unregistered User
Joined Aug 2007
1,057 Posts
Yes, the CF octa version can at least be made into a hexa instead.
Old Jul 07, 2012, 07:12 AM
New Zealand, Auckland, Waitakere
Joined Sep 2007
737 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Remy View Post
Can anyone -who has this Goodluckbuy frame already- confirm that you can also make a hexa with it?

I ordered the Glasfiber Hexacopter, but one day after my order they have the octa from for just 20 dollars more.
They say that you can also change it in a hexacopter. Great! I ordered the octa, make a hexa with it, and have two spare armes.

Already changes the order, so hopefully you can confirm that you can make a hexa with it.

It's already shipped, I think it's here in a few days. (netherlands)

( the discription say's it can )
Cant wait to check out your build!
koolkiwikat is offline Find More Posts by koolkiwikat
Old Jul 09, 2012, 06:29 PM
jab
Unregistered User
Joined Aug 2007
1,057 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reginak View Post
JAB,
Do you have any picture of the frame with the 15x5,5 props? I would like to see how it looks....
Thanks
Did some more work today, very close to lift-off now. Just need to CNC some new battery trays, one for each side so that I can mount two batteries.