SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jun 12, 2012, 12:51 AM
Joined Mar 2009
198 Posts
I really don't understand the need for the highest quality CF. When it comes down to it these booms really aren't holding that much weight and the only point they are really put to the test is when you crash them, in which case I'd rather have my cheaper cf booms crumple and stap and absorb the impact rather than have it transferred onto more expensive electronics they are supporting.
flyingdogfilms is offline Find More Posts by flyingdogfilms
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 12, 2012, 01:00 AM
United States, MI, Jenison
Joined Jun 2008
1,149 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingdogfilms View Post
I really don't understand the need for the highest quality CF. When it comes down to it these booms really aren't holding that much weight and the only point they are really put to the test is when you crash them, in which case I'd rather have my cheaper cf booms crumple and stap and absorb the impact rather than have it transferred onto more expensive electronics they are supporting.
Since we are comparing the fake CineStar to a real CineStar and advertised payload is a RED Epic..... I think having the stronger, higher quality booms might be a good idea. The Epic is'nt the lightest camera in the world and nither is a 5D with a decent L glass lens.

If you're going to fly small point and shoot cameras or a GoPro then the CineStar is way overkill in my opinion.
nicnaimless is offline Find More Posts by nicnaimless
Old Jun 12, 2012, 01:20 AM
I think I forgot how to fly RC
United States, WA, Woodinville
Joined Mar 2007
8,063 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicnaimless View Post
I'm interested to hear how it all pans out. I hope they take care of you.
I do too.

If I don't have some sort of resolution by this time next week, I'm going to turn into the squeaky wheel.
Something that I DO NOT want to do.

Ok, aside from the quadrocopter customer service issue...I have to say that Aerobot has stepped up to the plate bigtime.
Thank you Simon
cryhavoc38 is offline Find More Posts by cryhavoc38
Last edited by cryhavoc38; Jun 12, 2012 at 10:42 AM.
Old Jun 12, 2012, 02:07 AM
United States, CA, St Helena
Joined Jun 2011
228 Posts
Another great source for strong and reliable carbon fiber in the US...
http://www.dragonplate.com/ecart/categories.asp?cID=79
Foam boy is offline Find More Posts by Foam boy
Old Jun 12, 2012, 05:07 AM
New Zealand, Auckland, Waitakere
Joined Sep 2007
738 Posts
Sheez...lets wait till someone buys one and fills us in...Hell Ive spent $40 on the OMGFly hexa frame and frankly its damm good value for money!...$500 is still alot of coin in my books so lets wait and see as Ill happily throw money at this frame if its as good as it looks!
koolkiwikat is offline Find More Posts by koolkiwikat
Old Jun 12, 2012, 05:21 AM
Joined Jun 2011
228 Posts
Price dropped! $237 as of 2AM. They must be watching us!
Old Jun 12, 2012, 05:30 AM
Ready to fly MRs
Swanton, OH
Joined Jul 2007
5,082 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foam boy View Post
It is about time they bring it down more toward a reasonable level. Still about $37 too expensive in my eyes but some people will probably order it now.
Sid3ways is offline Find More Posts by Sid3ways
Old Jun 12, 2012, 05:39 AM
Video Juggernaut
FL
Joined Nov 2003
2,796 Posts
still 500 for me. There are 2 versions see: http://www.goodluckbuy.com/professio...wheelbase.html
Wingbreaker is offline Find More Posts by Wingbreaker
Old Jun 12, 2012, 08:47 AM
Joined Mar 2009
198 Posts
Quote:
They always are!!
flyingdogfilms is offline Find More Posts by flyingdogfilms
Old Jun 12, 2012, 10:31 AM
Joined Jul 2009
484 Posts
Quote:
Another great source for strong and reliable carbon fiber in the US...
http://www.dragonplate.com/ecart/categories.asp?cID=79
Good source but not the same stuff. The expensive tubes are aircraft grade, meaning they are machine woven from carbon tow directly on a mandrel. Extruded, spriral extruded, made from cloth, etc are simply not as strong and will always be heavier. Even so, from that site the basic tubes made from cloth in the same size (25mm) are nearly the same price as the woven tubes from aircraft spruce.

For reference, do a google search on how the 787 fuselage is made. That's an extreme example of fundamentally the same process.
diakatche is offline Find More Posts by diakatche
Old Jun 12, 2012, 08:00 PM
Joined Jun 2011
228 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by diakatche View Post
Good source but not the same stuff. The expensive tubes are aircraft grade, meaning they are machine woven from carbon tow directly on a mandrel. Extruded, spriral extruded, made from cloth, etc are simply not as strong and will always be heavier. Even so, from that site the basic tubes made from cloth in the same size (25mm) are nearly the same price as the woven tubes from aircraft spruce.

For reference, do a google search on how the 787 fuselage is made. That's an extreme example of fundamentally the same process.
Thanks! Learn something new everyday
Old Jun 13, 2012, 04:05 AM
New Zealand, Auckland, Waitakere
Joined Sep 2007
738 Posts
Im guessing they have just stuffed up the pictures and used the carbon pix for both models
koolkiwikat is offline Find More Posts by koolkiwikat
Old Jun 13, 2012, 05:15 AM
Taka
Joined Dec 2010
131 Posts
Hold your purchase, cinestar may be expensive for a hobbyists, if you are willing to spend that $500 on some chinese clones, why not save up a little more for the Flexacopter, its the next best thing if not equal to a Cinestar6.

It allows you to pack nicely into a Pelican case too, transporting a Cinestar 6 or 8 can be a problem for some.
Estiavilla is offline Find More Posts by Estiavilla
Old Jun 13, 2012, 06:11 AM
Fitzy
Gold Coast
Joined Jul 2008
47 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cryhavoc38 View Post
I do too.

If I don't have some sort of resolution by this time next week, I'm going to turn into the squeaky wheel.
Something that I DO NOT want to do.

Ok, aside from the quadrocopter customer service issue...I have to say that Aerobot has stepped up to the plate bigtime.
Thank you Simon
Had a small issue with one order of those props I got from Aerobot. Fixed immediately. Very good service.

Got a quick look at their new Hexa and Octo frame. Very innovative. My guess is we will be seeing plenty of these in the air very soon.

Fitzy
FitzyKiter is offline Find More Posts by FitzyKiter
Old Jun 13, 2012, 08:30 AM
Video Juggernaut
FL
Joined Nov 2003
2,796 Posts
here $410 http://www.omgfly.com/index.php?main...roducts_id=496
Wingbreaker is offline Find More Posts by Wingbreaker