HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 31, 2013, 01:12 PM
Ready to fly MRs
Swanton, OH
Joined Jul 2007
5,069 Posts
If you want the Bentley/Rolls Royce of Octo frames then look no further than the new Kratos from the Flexacopter guys. I've had the Flexacopter and it was the best frame I've ever used, seriously considering the Kratos as the S800 replacement as well.

Integrated power channels in the arms (arms just plug in for transport similar to S800) and the best vibration isolation system out there. I love the ESC integration as well! Will be ordering one when Pierre has them available.

Details will be up soon on www.flexacopter.com
Sid3ways is online now Find More Posts by Sid3ways
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 31, 2013, 01:13 PM
Joined Dec 2011
125 Posts
these oktos look nice, but arent there any that just fold to the side.
ThomB is offline Find More Posts by ThomB
Old Jan 31, 2013, 01:56 PM
United States, NY, Rochester
Joined Jan 2006
933 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by alsoares View Post
I totally agree with Papajef. I have the omg octo, and is quite a solid buid, I've been testing it with an aq50d controller and it is flying great. In a few weeks will be installing ys-x6 on it.

Papajef, what gimbal is that, holding your nexus? And how long those two batteries keep your octo in the air?
The gimbal is the Alware PRO V3 (3-axis) with some minor mods to accept either a Sony NEX 5
or a GoPro HERO 2. I am using 2 x 5S 5000mAh Turnigy Nano-Tech packs in parallel with 12 x 6 CF
props and I'm getting 15 min. flight times.
Papajeff is online now Find More Posts by Papajeff
Old Jan 31, 2013, 02:04 PM
United States, NY, Rochester
Joined Jan 2006
933 Posts
Sid and Spyde are right about both those foldable Octo's from FPVmodels.
Both of them look good to me on the web site. The convenience of a foldable
Multi-rotor is an excellent idea for on location shooting and in a way, I wish that
my Octo had that option.
Papajeff is online now Find More Posts by Papajeff
Old Feb 01, 2013, 12:01 PM
Brazil, AL, Maceió
Joined Mar 2012
499 Posts
I saw an octocopter with dettachable arms, female gold connectors were fixed to the end of each arm, and male connectors were solded to the escs and also fixed at a position that the connectors are plugged when an arm is inserted into the frame. But the screws had to be unscrewed to remove the arms and screwed again after plugging the arms. 4 Screws multiplied by 8 arms, 32 screws...
alsoares is offline Find More Posts by alsoares
Old Feb 02, 2013, 09:34 AM
Germany, BY, Neubiberg
Joined Aug 2012
31 Posts
Hey Guys,

here is my build:
-frame from goodluckbuy gf hexa
-HL 48-22 490KV with 11x47 Props
-Hobbyking 45A Multistar ESC
-5000mah 6s
-DJI Naza with GPS
-takeoffweight 3,9KG
-Hitec Aurora with Optima 9

Frame is nice quality, took some deliverytime, but thats ok.
I´m not shure with the motor/propeller combination.
At the moment there ist a problem with the naza. the copter itself is hovering with only 15-20% of throttlestick position.

that brings me to a problem.
The Naza is shutting down the engines at 10% Stick position. so there are 5% of stick movement left for bringing the copter down to earth.

Is the Combination wrong?
HL 4822 490kv with 11x4.7 on a 6s battery?
or maybe it is the esc. these multistar ESC´s dont have a throttle calibration. Which i think i quite strange.

any tips?
ricoklausi is online now Find More Posts by ricoklausi
Last edited by ricoklausi; Jul 14, 2013 at 04:57 AM.
Old Feb 02, 2013, 09:38 AM
Joined Dec 2011
125 Posts
your overpowered with 6s. Add weight with 6s or go down to 4s 5000 mah and fly 40% throttle.
ThomB is offline Find More Posts by ThomB
Old Feb 02, 2013, 10:27 AM
Germany, BY, Neubiberg
Joined Aug 2012
31 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomB View Post
your overpowered with 6s. Add weight with 6s or go down to 4s 5000 mah and fly 40% throttle.
What about switching to 15x5.5 Props?

i attached the chart from the goodluckbuy page.
there it is shown that 11x4.7 is possible.
ricoklausi is online now Find More Posts by ricoklausi
Last edited by ricoklausi; Jul 14, 2013 at 04:57 AM.
Old Feb 04, 2013, 06:34 AM
Professional UAV Services
Australia
Joined Dec 2009
2,387 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ricoklausi View Post
Hey Guys,

here is my build:
-frame from goodluckbuy gf hexa
-HL 48-22 490KV with 11x47 Props
-Hobbyking 45A Multistar ESC
-5000mah 6s
-DJI Naza with GPS
-takeoffweight 3,9KG
-Hitec Aurora with Optima 9

Frame is nice quality, took some deliverytime, but thats ok.
I´m not shure with the motor/propeller combination.
At the moment there ist a problem with the naza. the copter itself is hovering with only 15-20% of throttlestick position.

that brings me to a problem.
The Naza is shutting down the engines at 10% Stick position. so there are 5% of stick movement left for bringing the copter down to earth.

Is the Combination wrong?
HL 4822 490kv with 11x4.7 on a 6s battery?
or maybe it is the esc. these multistar ESC´s dont have a throttle calibration. Which i think i quite strange.

any tips?
Just adjust the throttle curve on your A9. I have had the same issue with a few of my multirotors when they don't have a camera load on them. The A9 is an awesome radio and you can setup a throttle curve real easy, set it up so that hover is around 50% throttle stick.
Redemptioner is offline Find More Posts by Redemptioner
Old Feb 04, 2013, 07:39 AM
Australia
Joined Dec 2009
2,387 Posts
Has anyone bought and used the one from RCTimer?
http://www.rctimer.com/index.php?gOo...0&productname=

This looks to be the closest thing to a true Cinestar clone and has location groves so when you get it setup the first time you can then pull it apart and you don't have any issue realigning it again. I really like the look of this one and the clone Cinestar gimbal as well (anyone bought an used it?), I plan on using this with the 4830 420Kv multistar motors with the 30amp multistar ESC’s.
Old Feb 04, 2013, 10:23 AM
Joined Jan 2013
129 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redemptioner View Post
Has anyone bought and used the one from RCTimer?
http://www.rctimer.com/index.php?gOo...0&productname=

This looks to be the closest thing to a true Cinestar clone and has location groves so when you get it setup the first time you can then pull it apart and you don't have any issue realigning it again. I really like the look of this one and the clone Cinestar gimbal as well (anyone bought an used it?), I plan on using this with the 4830 420Kv multistar motors with the 30amp multistar ESC’s.
Yeah that frame is nice and so are those motors (they never seem to be in stock though) . Not sure about the motor mounts, I think that extra part to mount the ESC is a bit useless and just unnecessarily blocking airflow to the prop. I guess you could probably just mount them backwards then it wouldn't be an issue. Apparently people here are not too convinced with the quality of those multistar ESCs and say you are better off sticking with the cheaper blue series. No idea if that is correct but there is a thread about them here somewhere.
Pelagic is offline Find More Posts by Pelagic
Last edited by Pelagic; Feb 04, 2013 at 10:34 AM.
Old Feb 05, 2013, 12:26 AM
Australia
Joined Dec 2009
2,387 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelagic View Post
Yeah that frame is nice and so are those motors (they never seem to be in stock though) . Not sure about the motor mounts, I think that extra part to mount the ESC is a bit useless and just unnecessarily blocking airflow to the prop. I guess you could probably just mount them backwards then it wouldn't be an issue. Apparently people here are not too convinced with the quality of those multistar ESCs and say you are better off sticking with the cheaper blue series. No idea if that is correct but there is a thread about them here somewhere.
Hey Pelagic,

I know a few people using them and they seem to have no issues, the main thing with the Multistar ESC's are the fact they are made for the Multistar motors (pancake). Have you got any links you know of pointing to other people having issues, I would assume people having issues have probably used them for non-pancake motors but still interested in reading about their issue (thanks for the heads up Pelagic, cheers). I am happy to wait a little while on the Multistar motors to come back in stock (got some of the smaller ones, they work awesome, just don’t try to put them into eCalc as it is unable to calculate these properly, not sure if it is a pancake motor thing??) due to them being up to half the price of what everyone else is selling them for (these are just rebadged HengLi, same as what foxtech etc sells). If you are looking for motors for Multirotors these things rock….

The problem I have with a broad statement like "Apparently people here are not too convinced with the quality" is due to people like Sid3ways who are just blatantly spruiking their own goods and putting everything else down that is not theirs. Sorry to say but the Flexacopter are simply overpriced crap, who on earth puts metal cable on a frame that has to be lifted into the air and thinks it’s a good idea (yeah I want a 3min flight) let alone the fact no-one is putting 20KG underneath their multirotors so their suspension is useless. Anyone that knows anything about cars does not want a Rolls Royce as they are slow, overpriced bricks with very limited range, you only buy one because you have soooooo much money you want everyone to know it despite the fact there are far far better rides out there for 1/10th the price.

One of the main draws to me of this Octo (aside from the “line-up groves”) is the motor mounts, they are out in some airflow, away from the main body (you don’t want your ESC mounted near other electronics like SBEC/TX/Sonar) and make it a nice solid and an easy place to mount. There is little to no lift being produced in such slow spinning props right near the motor so there is no real loss in lift (I doubt it is even 0.01%) so that is not an issue. My only concern is the fact the shipping weight is 3kg according to RCtimer link…..from what I can tell is around 1.3kg mark, I love the folding version that FPVModel does but I just can’t see how you could stop extra vibrations being created due to the folding joint.
Old Feb 05, 2013, 03:51 AM
g0t rabb1t?
Lietuva, Vilnius
Joined Jul 2011
1,540 Posts
Quote:
the main thing with the Multistar ESC's are the fact they are made for the Multistar motors (pancake).
Oh, come on...
Do you really believe, that someone in China is making something different for some motors?
Those "Multistar ESC" in fact are rebranded KEDA ESC's, with crappy HW inside. Compared to, for example, F30A they're total <censored>.
Those "Multistar" motors - just rebranded Heng-Li motors (the same did foxtech with their motors line). Nothing really good - low magnets count, not so smooth, etc.

Wanna read more?
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1744742
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1744924
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1513678

And yes, i did tested many of those ESC's, motors by myself. So please, do not spread misinformation...
ABLomas is online now Find More Posts by ABLomas
Old Feb 05, 2013, 03:54 AM
Joined Jan 2013
129 Posts
Quote:
Hey Pelagic,

Good points. The thread about the Multistar ESCs is here: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1744924

I think the criticism was mainly for it's use of cheaper components.

I'm thinking that a folding design may not be ideal either. A disconnect with plugs (like the flexa) or simple alignment system like the rc timer octo sounds like a better, lighter and stiffer solution. I don't think that new flexacopter will be crap. At least the components they are using seem to be top notch. It will be expensive but it's probably done a by one or two guys in a small workshop so you can't really expect them to compete price wise with a company making simple clones in china. I'm just not sure yet if it's worth spending a lot on frames.
Pelagic is offline Find More Posts by Pelagic
Old Feb 05, 2013, 04:38 AM
Ready to fly MRs
Swanton, OH
Joined Jul 2007
5,069 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelagic View Post
I'm thinking that a folding design may not be ideal either. A disconnect with plugs (like the flexa) or simple alignment system like the rc timer octo sounds like a better, lighter and stiffer solution. I don't think that new flexacopter will be crap. At least the components they are using seem to be top notch. It will be expensive but it's probably done a by one or two guys in a small workshop so you can't really expect them to compete price wise with a company making simple clones in china. I'm just not sure yet if it's worth spending a lot on frames.
I've built many many copters for clients and I will say nothing has flown as well as the Flexacopter build I did. The frame is incredibly solid. Of course the price is going to be at least 2x - 3x more than the RCTimer frame. The wire dampener system has proven itself time and time again, zero jello on every camera from a GoPro to a 5D and anything in-between. I find it hard to believe the RCTimer's 4 rubber isolators to their Cinestar clone frame will remove all vibes. Of course you'll try different isolators but I spend the extra to just be done with it so I don't have to worry about it.
Sid3ways is online now Find More Posts by Sid3ways