Steve
saabguyspg is online now Find More Posts by saabguyspg
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 16, 2012, 04:30 PM
ToucanWings.fr
France, IdF, Paris
Joined Jan 2008
139 Posts
Well to my understanding belt driven gimbals use 360 servos that can turn continuously so after 5 or 10 turns, their neurtral doesn't match the gimbal neutral. As i see it you need a feedback from the gimbal like potentiometers or gyros on the gimbal itself to be sure to level it back to the correct position. If i'm wrong please anyone correct me
LucioleMC30 is offline Find More Posts by LucioleMC30
Old Oct 16, 2012, 05:21 PM
uavservices on MRF
Calgary Canada
Joined Jun 2006
4,981 Posts
well I don't pretend to know everything about gimbals etc but I have a belt driven tilt and roll and use the WKM outputs set to 400hz, however the WKM has strange twitch issues... the Naza does not have the twitch and also supports 400hz output rate.

I would try them first.

Steve
Old Oct 17, 2012, 02:18 AM
ToucanWings.fr
France, IdF, Paris
Joined Jan 2008
139 Posts
Ok thanks for the information, what gimbal do you use?
Old Oct 17, 2012, 09:24 PM
uavservices on MRF
Calgary Canada
Joined Jun 2006
4,981 Posts
Just to clarify I have only used the WKM outputs as I have not hooked up my Naza to a gimbal but they should perform similar.

I have two askman gimbals and one PT2X (the PT2X is not stablized yet... and I will use a stand alone to stabilize tilt only on that)

Steve
Old Oct 18, 2012, 12:01 AM
United States, NY, Rochester
Joined Sep 2008
7,040 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Papajeff View Post
Tony, thanks for the heads up on the power dist board. I'm using the HL 48-22-490kv motors which run
at <12A with a max of 17A. I never thought that I might have a problem with that $4.00 HK board. My
motor wires are about 16 guage and that is the extension size that I used and the 3.5mm gold pin
connectors were a perfect fit.

I did add solder to each (F) connector on the board and never thought that I could develope enough heat
to "un-solder" a connection. However, you ought to know with your MRC experience. Do you suggest
changing it out for another option, because I certainly do not want any problems like this with such an
expensive MRC.

Yeah, the ICE 50's are overkill, but with their new "multi-rotor" catagory on their Castle Link, I thought that
they would give me the ability to test using 4S to 6S and 10" to 15" props to see which combination would
be the best for this big Octo.
You might be OK.

I seen the big ESC's and assumed your motors were drawing more like 20a-25a+.

That board is only rated for 10a each max so you are def over but they prolly rate them conservatively.

Features.
Current: 8 x 10A Outputs (MAX)
Power Input: XT60 with 12AWG wire
Motor output: 8 x 3.5mm Female bullet plug
Aux output: 2 pin JST compatible
Weight: 36.0g (including wires)
Z06 Tony is online now Find More Posts by Z06 Tony
Site Sponsor
Old Oct 19, 2012, 05:34 AM
Joined Jan 2006
896 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z06 Tony View Post
You might be OK.

I seen the big ESC's and assumed your motors were drawing more like 20a-25a+.

That board is only rated for 10a each max so you are def over but they prolly rate them conservatively.

Features.
Current: 8 x 10A Outputs (MAX)
Power Input: XT60 with 12AWG wire
Motor output: 8 x 3.5mm Female bullet plug
Aux output: 2 pin JST compatible
Weight: 36.0g (including wires)
Hey Tony, I am pleased that you brought up this topic because most of us really don't give
much thought to power dist. in the larger MRC's. Saabguy had a great idea on how to Mod
any of the low priced boards that are available. (see post #296) and Flyboone is using that
new PowerHungrySystems board.

With all of your large builds, what is your method for dealing with the power
dist. issue?
Papajeff is offline Find More Posts by Papajeff
Old Oct 19, 2012, 01:06 PM
United States, CA, Fullerton
Joined Dec 2011
139 Posts
for our custom builds we use the Power Hungry systems they save us time so we put them on our small quads to super heavy-lift Octos they only weigh 5.5 onces and the time they save us from soldering is well worth it and with the peace of mind that it is solid. not everybody would agree. before this we would just make our own custom ones but we can never get it as clean as power hungry systems did. they also come with the 4 of (10) gauge wire leads soldered on for the dual batteries.
here is the link to our site.
http://www.uavrotorking.com/power-hu...ibution-system
Uavrotorking.com is offline Find More Posts by Uavrotorking.com
Site Sponsor
Last edited by Uavrotorking.com; Oct 19, 2012 at 01:13 PM.
Old Oct 20, 2012, 02:45 PM
Too much of a good thing...
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Mar 2011
32 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LucioleMC30 View Post
Hi guys,
well haven't flown it yet, I just received my simonk flashed escs and have to maiden my hexa now.
However I tested the gimbal and even though it's great quality for this price, it might need modification on the roll axis cause it's not moving fast enough (small gearwheel driving a long belt) so i'll either need a faster servo or a bigger gearwheel.
Also i'm a beginner at using belt driven gimbals so i've to find out the best way to stabilise it since I can't use the Naza gimbal outputs. For testing i'm thinking about using a plane stabiliser (Fy-20A) but not sure wether it's a good choice...
Some pics of my advance on this amazing frame:
Thanks for sharing Luciole, the hexa is looking good. I should have my gimbal in about a week from now and will have to check it out for the roll servo as you mentioned. If all else I will replace it with a nice digital servo. Just a waiting game now.
JetFire21 is offline Find More Posts by JetFire21
Old Oct 20, 2012, 02:50 PM
Joined Dec 2011
125 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LucioleMC30 View Post
Hi guys,
well haven't flown it yet, I just received my simonk flashed escs and have to maiden my hexa now.
However I tested the gimbal and even though it's great quality for this price, it might need modification on the roll axis cause it's not moving fast enough (small gearwheel driving a long belt) so i'll either need a faster servo or a bigger gearwheel.
Also i'm a beginner at using belt driven gimbals so i've to find out the best way to stabilise it since I can't use the Naza gimbal outputs. For testing i'm thinking about using a plane stabiliser (Fy-20A) but not sure wether it's a good choice...
Some pics of my advance on this amazing frame:
are those arms removable?
ThomB is offline Find More Posts by ThomB
Old Oct 21, 2012, 10:18 AM
ToucanWings.fr
France, IdF, Paris
Joined Jan 2008
139 Posts
Well yes there are 2mm connectors to take the arms off the hexa
Old Oct 21, 2012, 12:15 PM
Joined Sep 2008
7,040 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Papajeff View Post
Hey Tony, I am pleased that you brought up this topic because most of us really don't give
much thought to power dist. in the larger MRC's. Saabguy had a great idea on how to Mod
any of the low priced boards that are available. (see post #296) and Flyboone is using that
new PowerHungrySystems board.

With all of your large builds, what is your method for dealing with the power
dist. issue?
His idea is great except it would be harder to do on a board like yours compared to a board where all the +/- are arranged in a circle like his pic.

I just use 2 boards and solder 4 motors to each board with there own battery lead.
Z06 Tony is online now Find More Posts by Z06 Tony
Site Sponsor
Old Oct 22, 2012, 06:57 AM
Joined Jan 2006
896 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z06 Tony View Post
His idea is great except it would be harder to do on a board like yours compared to a board where all the +/- are arranged in a circle like his pic.

I just use 2 boards and solder 4 motors to each board with there own battery lead.
Thanks Tony, that sure makes good sense to me.
Papajeff is offline Find More Posts by Papajeff
Old Oct 24, 2012, 12:46 PM
Too much of a good thing...
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Mar 2011
32 Posts
Im so tempted to try out this gimbal. Looks pretty cool with the ball type camera housing and I haven't been able to find something like this for Rc anywhere. The price isn't too bad either. Anyone tried one or had something similar? http://www.goodluckbuy.com/feiying-c...ball-type.html
JetFire21 is offline Find More Posts by JetFire21
Old Oct 30, 2012, 11:49 AM
ToucanWings.fr
France, IdF, Paris
Joined Jan 2008
139 Posts
Maidened my hexa today,
my setup:
490Kv pancake motors / 30A SimonK Flashed ESCs / Naza + GPS / Turnigy 9X with FrSky Tx/Rx / 3600Mah 4S batteries

Incredibly stable compared to my previous quadcopter, weighs only 4kg with camera and gimbal, flight time around 7 min, takes me half an hour to disassemble.

Here's the video of the first day of flying:
BlackStar (1 min 13 sec)
Last edited by LucioleMC30; Oct 30, 2012 at 12:22 PM.