HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 12, 2012, 07:00 PM
United States, NY, Rochester
Joined Jan 2006
899 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LucioleMC30 View Post
I'm currently trying to decide which esc to use, Ice 50s look pretty expensive, what about this esc from HK? http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=11618
I know that the Castle ICE 50's are pricey, but I have used Castle ESC's for years without
any problems. I also use their Castle Link for SW updates and for changing any parameters
to customize their ESC's and I can get flight data info for each ESC on each and every flight.
I tend to go overboard, but with all the expensive camera gear I will be flying on my Octo.....I do
not want any ESC issues!!!!!

I have no experience with those HK ESC's so I hope that some of the guys on this thread will
give you their opinion.
Papajeff is online now Find More Posts by Papajeff
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 13, 2012, 10:33 AM
ToucanWings.fr
France, IdF, Paris
Joined Jan 2008
139 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Papajeff View Post
I know that the Castle ICE 50's are pricey, but I have used Castle ESC's for years without
any problems. I also use their Castle Link for SW updates and for changing any parameters
I have no experience with those HK ESC's so I hope that some of the guys on this thread will
give you their opinion.
Thanks Papajeff, i've one in stock I'll test it at max power to see if there's any risk of burning my opinion is that with an hexa or an octo it's less risky to have one esc burning but you're right when putting a 2000$ cam on it you can afford 600$ esc
LucioleMC30 is offline Find More Posts by LucioleMC30
Old Sep 13, 2012, 03:22 PM
Joined Dec 2011
125 Posts
i fly with with turnigy, never had any problems, what motors do you have for choosing 45 amp esc? hope your not using those himodel 490kv. that means i have the wrong amps esc (30 A)
ThomB is offline Find More Posts by ThomB
Old Sep 13, 2012, 04:05 PM
Aerial Abstract Art
San Francisco, CA
Joined Nov 2005
2,468 Posts
The HL 48-22 motors are rated for like 20 amps each (depending on the KV), so 30A esc's should be plenty. I was thinking of using the DJI opto 30a esc with these motors, but not sure if they will have any issues with the pancakes like the SimonK firmware updated ECS's do. I also don't know if the DJI ESC's can handle 6s or are 3-4s only.
Daloaf is offline Find More Posts by Daloaf
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 14, 2012, 04:22 PM
Just want to fly...
Brazil
Joined Mar 2009
354 Posts
Can the octo kit really be mounted as an Hexa? The description says so, but I could no see the hole pattern for hexa on the centerplates...

I know there is a hexa kit available, but I did not like the landing gear that comes with it, and it would be nice to have some spare parts...

Cheers,
LFLoTiTo is offline Find More Posts by LFLoTiTo
Old Sep 15, 2012, 12:32 PM
Aerial Abstract Art
San Francisco, CA
Joined Nov 2005
2,468 Posts
I don't think the Octo can be used as a hex, I think they are wrong on that matter. Now it can be used as a X8 or a quad if you want something different. They do sell a Hex version as well.
Daloaf is offline Find More Posts by Daloaf
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 15, 2012, 04:48 PM
United Kingdom, England, Addlestone
Joined May 2012
590 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LFLoTiTo View Post
Can the octo kit really be mounted as an Hexa? The description says so, but I could no see the hole pattern for hexa on the centerplates...

I know there is a hexa kit available, but I did not like the landing gear that comes with it, and it would be nice to have some spare parts...

Cheers,
I didnt like the Landing gear on the Hexa either, I went for the Octo thinking I could make a Hexa but the spacing of the arms would not be even in Hexa Configuration so built the Octo. Although i think someone on here has done that.. you can get the Landing gear seperately and most other parts from OMGFLY.com if you wanted to build the Hexa with the octo legs.
HexaFlexa is online now Find More Posts by HexaFlexa
Old Sep 16, 2012, 12:31 AM
Too much of a good thing...
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Mar 2011
32 Posts
After a few weeks of deliberation I think its time to purchase an octo to replace my t-rex 700 platform. Im thinking of going with the Octo frame from GLB 1050mm and T-motors all around with turnigy plush 60's and DJI Wk-m. As far as gimbal im torn between the cinestar 2 axis gimbal or the AV200 PH gimbal clone. Anyone tried those out yet? Also what kind of motors are you guys running on these CS8 clones for carrying camera equipment? Thanks in advance.
JetFire21 is offline Find More Posts by JetFire21
Old Sep 16, 2012, 11:44 PM
Joined Jul 2009
29 Posts
I really love this setup I have Hexa with w4822 Motors and 40amps ESC's all from GBL gives me 10 min's of flight from single 5000 mah with 2 kg of payload. 
Charging back 3942 mah.

This will definitely replace my e700 camera ship.

Thanks to Jab, RCG guys & GBL.
Jab for giving motors test,
RCG guys for keeping this tread up,
GBL for faster shipping.
gurudutt is online now Find More Posts by gurudutt
Last edited by gurudutt; Sep 17, 2012 at 12:08 AM.
Old Sep 17, 2012, 01:26 AM
France (Dijon - Burgundy)
Joined Dec 2009
9 Posts
Hi Gurudutt,

Could you please give us some more details about your setup?

- Which KV for W4822 motors?
- Type of Props and size
- What kind of esc? Flashed or not?
- And every details you will want to share...

Thanks
Helichem is offline Find More Posts by Helichem
Old Sep 17, 2012, 06:04 PM
Joined Jul 2009
29 Posts
PM send
gurudutt is online now Find More Posts by gurudutt
Old Sep 18, 2012, 01:11 AM
uavservices on MRF
Calgary Canada
Joined Jun 2006
4,988 Posts
umm I am curious too.. please post here.

I am using 4822 with 14" props and 4S on the 570kv motors... honestly there is no efficiency difference that I can see between running these and 12" props with sunnysky motors....

actually the 12" react much faster and better in the wind and don't heat up my esc' as much.

just my findings... can you post yours

Steve
saabguyspg is offline Find More Posts by saabguyspg
Old Sep 18, 2012, 12:47 PM
Joined Jul 2011
405 Posts
saabguyspg,

Why did you choose 4822 570kv instead of 490kv? I bought the 490kv ones and will use 4S, do you think I can use 4S + 12" + 7kg AUW? (I will try the 15.5x5 carbon fiber propellers that Jab is using and liking) I saw this post http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=211 from you that you were about to test 390kv, do you have both 570kv and 390kv?

Anyway, what's your AUW? Can you post a picture? (sorry if it is already in this topic)
Reginak is offline Find More Posts by Reginak
Last edited by Reginak; Sep 18, 2012 at 12:56 PM.
Old Sep 18, 2012, 01:43 PM
uavservices on MRF
Calgary Canada
Joined Jun 2006
4,988 Posts
hi there, I chose 570 because I have a bunch of 4S packs that I want to use and have 14" props (higher kv for smaller props)

I feel this setup is OK for power for my hexa... it hovers at about 65% throttle so I would say if I had used the 490kv motors there would not be enough power with 14" props.

Here is my setup, I have flown and tested many many combinations of motors and props etc... honestly there is nothing special about this.. efficiency is no better than my other setups.

hexa
14" apc props and also tried 14" apc CF props from foxtech (no difference in efficiency or flight)
AUW 6.6 kg with camera, mount, retracts and 4S 5000 mah pack
5 minute flight time takes 3300mah out of the pack (about)
esc's are the flashed ones I sell (25 amp)
esc's get pretty dam hot after 5 mintues, I am now adding a heat sink to them
motors are cold to the touch which is great!

the props are large and don't react as well to wind as 12" or of course 10"

my other hexa machine using little 2217 cobra motors and 10" props gets the same flight time on a 4S 4000 pack as this one and it carries the same camera and mount! so bigger is not always better

Steve

ps I want to try the 390kv version but after these tests I am not sure I see any point. I would have to buy a bunch of 6S packs and I am also thinking that if I were to try a combo right now it would be the 490kv motor with 14" prop and a 6S pack.

my current favorite combo is the sunnysky motors with 12" props, escs get warm and motors are slightly warm.
saabguyspg is offline Find More Posts by saabguyspg
Old Sep 19, 2012, 01:32 PM
South Africa, NC, Kimberley
Joined Jan 2012
52 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by saabguyspg View Post
14" apc props and also tried 14" apc CF props from foxtech (no difference in efficiency or flight)
You mean you got your props from them.
I am waiting for 3 to 4 months for $400 of FPV equipment ???
Old Crock is offline Find More Posts by Old Crock