HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 11, 2012, 08:30 AM
Quad Whisperer
Joined Jul 2008
943 Posts
Alert
HK i86 flight controller bug

There is a potential dangerous bug in the firmware. When disarming, it gives out one full throttle pulse before stopping the output pulses. See attached scope screen shot.

This is not a problem when using ordinary ESC's with a throttle filter, but if using SimonK flashed ESC's it does as instructed: instant FULL THROTTLE! The ESC will keep full throttle until it times out 1sec later because of no more input pulses.

Note, this not a failure of the ESC, but of the FC.

Luckily I had the propellers off.
kapteinkuk is offline Find More Posts by kapteinkuk
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 11, 2012, 08:55 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Dec 2010
11,764 Posts
Ouch, fun times.
Let's hope HappySundays/manu's/Mike's awesome opensauce firmware will be a worthy replacement
timecop is offline Find More Posts by timecop
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jun 11, 2012, 11:45 AM
hacker
Canada, BC, North Vancouver
Joined Dec 2010
936 Posts
Hmm! Do ordinary ESCs throttle up a little? I notice the pulse is slightly longer than 2.2ms. I originally had the limit at 2200Ás, but there were some servo testers that put out about 2216Ás, so I changed it to 2400Ás (2012-01-09, 574a366812). I could also lower the timeout significantly...
simonk is offline Find More Posts by simonk
Old Jun 11, 2012, 02:30 PM
manuLRK
Belgium
Joined Sep 2004
1,529 Posts
In their V2 closedsauce they removed the locking...
manu
alll is offline Find More Posts by alll
Old Jun 11, 2012, 08:11 PM
Enjoying the sunshine
Australia, NSW, Sydney
Joined Feb 2011
2,980 Posts
Hey, I finally got my code all running on the i86 board after some completely moronic bugs.
Need to do some more testing but it should be good to go for OpenAero.
I'm not interested in reworking NeXtcopter code for it.
I'm sure Mike will release something for his copter code too, soon enough.
HappySundays is offline Find More Posts by HappySundays
Old Jun 12, 2012, 06:40 AM
Quad Whisperer
Joined Jul 2008
943 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by simonk View Post
Hmm! Do ordinary ESCs throttle up a little? I notice the pulse is slightly longer than 2.2ms. I originally had the limit at 2200Ás, but there were some servo testers that put out about 2216Ás, so I changed it to 2400Ás (2012-01-09, 574a366812). I could also lower the timeout significantly...
Ordinary ESC's works fine.
Old Jun 12, 2012, 08:17 PM
Australia, QLD, Brisbane
Joined Nov 2011
949 Posts
What firmware is on the i86 as shipped? Is it KK patched for MEMS or something else?

I ask because I am looking for a board that has KK style pots, but MEMS gyro and acc. Not an easy combination to find, so I was looking at the easiest thing to hack to get those 3 features.
Erknie is offline Find More Posts by Erknie
Old Jun 12, 2012, 10:03 PM
Enjoying the sunshine
Australia, NSW, Sydney
Joined Feb 2011
2,980 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erknie View Post
What firmware is on the i86 as shipped? Is it KK patched for MEMS or something else?
I ask because I am looking for a board that has KK style pots, but MEMS gyro and acc. Not an easy combination to find, so I was looking at the easiest thing to hack to get those 3 features.
i86 has its own firmware, MEMS gyro but no ACC.
Closest thing to what you want is a KK Plus board with the MEMS board (Gyros + ACC) fitted.
You lose two pots by adding the ACC, but you could hack it so that the ACC X and Y went to the two ADC inputs they use for battery monitoring and the spare Baro input and so keep all three pots.
Or... you could just add an analog ACC board to this i86 using ADC6 and ADC7... plenty of examples in my blog.
HappySundays is offline Find More Posts by HappySundays
Old Jun 19, 2012, 07:43 AM
Joined Apr 2012
532 Posts
Hey guys Hey Guys Alert Alert!!!! Hobby King just released a KK2 board and Guess What it has all The functions Of The nextcopter board it is basically a kk board with a 3 axis accelerometer and 3 axis gyro(of course?!) with an onboard LCD screen and support for six channels on the receiver as opposed to just 4 on the previous board,and mind you this is not the i86 FC,it has 8 !!!!!!yes you heard it right 8 motor outputs and has all the multicopter configs built in(Right from the Single Motor copter to the octocopter and all the configs in between) ,so no need of any flashing(for novices) it supports a custom firmware and has an onboard ICSP pin for external programming,it is pretty a much complete flight control system for freshers and also one amazing feature that caught my eye!!!! Is that the board can be dialed in with expo through the onboard LCD,that's right no need for expo support on your Tx,now even a 4 channel beginner radio can experience smooth flight(Of course the flight mode cannot be changed in midflight),it does not have any GUI support as of now but pretty much everything is provided on a platter to the user!!!!very easy plug and fly approach i have no idea of the MCU or any other IC or the sensors used on board this FC as I havent gotten my hands on one,it is not even available for sale now but will be available a couple of days form now, the release and introductory video can be found here
link:-http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZB9PAEzwkqo&list=UUkNMDHVq-_6aJEh2uRBbRmw&feature=plcp
Akcopter is offline Find More Posts by Akcopter
Old Jun 19, 2012, 08:05 AM
Quad Whisperer
Joined Jul 2008
943 Posts
"..............<LF><LF><LF><LF><LF>" <- here, use these
Old Jun 19, 2012, 11:38 AM
manuLRK
Belgium
Joined Sep 2004
1,529 Posts
Its for sure not a Atmega168/328 mcu...
Why did they named it KK... The KK reputation, KK forever

manu
PS: and let us guess for the price : my guess 59$?
Old Jun 19, 2012, 11:42 AM
United Kingdom
Joined Nov 2008
2,025 Posts
you know, I'm really going to miss those pots....

$59 ? - cheaper than CC3D !!
Mike Barton is offline Find More Posts by Mike Barton
Old Jun 20, 2012, 12:31 AM
Master of Flash
Alsdorf/Eifel, Germany
Joined Jun 2005
1,569 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by alll View Post
Its for sure not a Atmega168/328 mcu...
Why did they named it KK... The KK reputation, KK forever

manu
PS: and let us guess for the price : my guess 59$?
by KK? Easy as KK?
LazyZero is offline Find More Posts by LazyZero
Old Jun 20, 2012, 02:52 PM
Gravity is a cruel mistress...
United States, FL, Orlando
Joined Mar 2011
724 Posts
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...rol_Board.html $29.99
Blucross is offline Find More Posts by Blucross
Old Jun 20, 2012, 03:31 PM
manuLRK
Belgium
Joined Sep 2004
1,529 Posts
29.9$ This is not serious anymore...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Barton View Post
you know, I'm really going to miss those pots....

$59 ? - cheaper than CC3D !!