HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 11, 2012, 12:23 AM
United States, CA, Mission Viejo
Joined May 2012
26 Posts
Alert
Chiggers in orange county area!!

All right just a heads up in case anyone is unaware. I have been getting bitten the last 2 weeks by chiggers. Now until a couple days ago I had never even heard of these almost microscopic Extreme itch inducing DEVIL bugs.

Supposedly they are "rare" in Socal. However I have proof for any doubters. I have so far gotten them from every slope site I've been to recently from Dana point to Foothill ranch and Ladera ranch. I got bitten all over my legs, waist, feet and where the sun don't shine. I got another tonight in Foothill and I wasn't even foraging through tall grass or weeds. I don't have pets.

I am going to have to try some sort of repellent to see it that helps. To be honest I'd rather get bit by a tick since you can actually see the darn things, less its a seed tick which I got one of those at PP last week but it hadn't bit me yet luckily.

And btw, these things are Small! you can barely see them with an unaided eye. You only know once they've already bitten you. I took a picture of the one I got tonight with my Canon SD800 on macro with a 10x lens taped to the front of it. I put a hair next to the chigger so you can see how small it is, I measured the hair with Mitutoyo calipers at 0.002" or 2 thousandths of an inch, so the chigger is tiny but they pack a punch.

Maybe someone knows what to use to keep them at bay? Jeans don't help.
OCflyin is offline Find More Posts by OCflyin
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 11, 2012, 01:27 AM
Joined Dec 2011
236 Posts
Nasty bugs
slopein scale is offline Find More Posts by slopein scale
Old Jun 11, 2012, 06:25 AM
Be the duck. Whaaaa?
United States, CA, Guerneville
Joined Mar 2012
312 Posts
Did you have your pants tucked into your boots? That's about all I've done in the past, pants into boots and shirt into pants.

~Karl
UberZogster is offline Find More Posts by UberZogster
Old Jun 11, 2012, 10:13 AM
Sane til the lift starts!
Laguna Beach, CA
Joined Jun 2008
10,193 Posts
Roll up your slope site in one of these. Total protection!

kpeevyhouse is offline Find More Posts by kpeevyhouse
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 11, 2012, 10:27 AM
Feeling FrSky
United States, CA, Santa Barbara
Joined Feb 2003
20,086 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by OCflyin View Post
Maybe someone knows what to use to keep them at bay? Jeans don't help.
I was introduced to the wonderful creatures known as chiggers when visiting family in the midwest growing up. Fortunately I learned the essential chigger-mitigation techniques crucial for coexisting with these bloodthirsty beasts.

They are:

1) To keep (most) of them off:

2) To deal with the few that don't get kept off:

Steve
surfimp is offline Find More Posts by surfimp
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by surfimp; Jun 11, 2012 at 10:42 AM.
Old Jun 11, 2012, 12:05 PM
globemaster
USA, CA, Cypress
Joined Jun 2008
1,462 Posts
I was there when OCFyin' was being bitten all over, he was flying from the parking lot, and yet they got to attack him, maybe it was a personal thing?
nicoyenny is offline Find More Posts by nicoyenny
Old Jun 11, 2012, 01:26 PM
characters welcome!
United States, CA, Bear Valley Springs
Joined Feb 2000
26,334 Posts
*Note to self* Don't fly next to OCflyin.

mw
Mark Wood is online now Find More Posts by Mark Wood
Old Jun 11, 2012, 03:05 PM
United States, CA, Mission Viejo
Joined May 2012
26 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by UberZogster View Post
Did you have your pants tucked into your boots? That's about all I've done in the past, pants into boots and shirt into pants.

~Karl
No and I'll be doing that next time.

Steve, I will get some of that off stuff and see if that does anything.

Keith, hahahaha, I might get 15mins of flight time in that thing lol, bubble boy!

nicoyenny, those bites were from dana point after not staying on the path, not kh as I was sure to stay in the parking lot.
OCflyin is offline Find More Posts by OCflyin
Old Jun 11, 2012, 10:56 PM
Aloft Hobbies
United States, CA, Novato
Joined Sep 2003
5,669 Posts
Better than rattle snakes.

My dog kept bring tics home with her.. They jump off her and onto me.
Rotozuk is offline Find More Posts by Rotozuk
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: Taranis Front Shell Swap
Old Jun 11, 2012, 11:27 PM
Fiberglass just crashes better
Hermosa Beach, CA
Joined Nov 2010
630 Posts
...What completely sucks is when you are alergic to the these crappy little bugs and don't know it - like the time I had to "go" up in the headlands forest area of San Francisco, two days later my pelivc area morphed into the Elephant Man!
Freaked me out big time and it itched like you could not believe. I know this borders on TMI but these bugs SUCK!!!

Morri
Bluffinator is offline Find More Posts by Bluffinator
Old Jun 12, 2012, 02:21 AM
Abundantly deficient.......
Orange County, CA
Joined May 2004
723 Posts
Yup.......I guess I've been bitten by the little beasterds a bunch lately. Not fun at all, and it takes like 2 to 3 weeks for them to completely heal. I couldn't figure out what it was. Now at least I know, thanks for the info.

M
CptMike is offline Find More Posts by CptMike
Old Jun 12, 2012, 07:49 AM
Dragons, Windmills. All Same.
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined May 2002
3,966 Posts
Nasty little one's
All you never wanted to know.
Warning, do not read about how they feed.
http://www.medicinenet.com/chiggers_bites/article.htm
jcstalls is online now Find More Posts by jcstalls
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 12, 2012, 09:01 AM
PGR
Low AltiDude
United States, CA, Costa Mesa
Joined Jun 2004
7,914 Posts
I've been warning about chiggers for a few years now. I was nailed by them at Back Bay three times before I finally understood what was happening to me and where. The problem with chigger bites is you won't really notice them for as much as a day and then it takes a bit of deductive reasoning to figure out where they got on you.

And chiggers are only active in certain conditions so you can't assume a place isn't infested just because you've flown there and didn't get nailed. At Back Bay they seem to be active in the spring when the ground is warming up and starting to dry out, but they're not a problem when it's damp and cold or hot and dry.

But I don't even take a chance anymore. I don't think I've ever been as miserable as I was when I was covered with chigger bites so I take preventative action regardless of whether I think they'll be a problem. And that means Deep Woods Off or another product with DEET in it. I spray the inside and outside of my pant legs, my shoes & socks, and my legs with the stuff (everything from the knees down) and that seems to keep them off of me. A viable alternative is to tuck your pant legs into your socks and spray the outside of your clothes, but I hate tucking my pants into my socks.

Pete
PGR is online now Find More Posts by PGR
Old Jun 12, 2012, 10:55 AM
Aloft Hobbies
United States, CA, Novato
Joined Sep 2003
5,669 Posts
I picked up some bites on my ankles at Turtlerock on Sunday. Nothing bad, just a bit itchy. I think it effects people differently.

Sounds like you want to do a little itching/rubbing to get the buggers off you.

-Wayne
Rotozuk is offline Find More Posts by Rotozuk
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: Taranis Front Shell Swap
Old Jun 12, 2012, 12:29 PM
globemaster
USA, CA, Cypress
Joined Jun 2008
1,462 Posts
Quote:
I was sure to stay in the parking lot.
I found it strange that you were flying from the parking lot ... and almost got your leg with my tiny K800 ..oops!
nicoyenny is offline Find More Posts by nicoyenny