SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jun 10, 2012, 10:34 PM
Pollock Pines, CA
Joined Aug 2002
1,607 Posts
Build Log
Kiwi A-4 Scooter

Kiwi Scooter A-4
This is my next project. I've had this design in my Corel files for several years. I've always wanted to build this version because of the camouflage scheme. I've got all the printing done. The next thing to do is spray-mount to 1mm & 5mm foam sheets, cut out, form up and glue. I don't expect this project to take too long. While I'm building this I will be designing a Hun, F-100 in Corel. This will be my follow on project I want to have ready, hopefully, for Vegas.

I'm shooting to have my Oscar maiden-ed this week.

Peace,
Den
Dmerino is offline Find More Posts by Dmerino
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 11, 2012, 10:03 AM
Now in TN!
Chapel Hill, TN USA
Joined Apr 2001
24,547 Posts
Great looking projects Dennis. Looking forward to seeing them at Vegas this fall!

J
J Morgan is offline Find More Posts by J Morgan
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: OV-10A Bronco from Palmer Plans
Old Jun 11, 2012, 11:33 AM
Pollock Pines, CA
Joined Aug 2002
1,607 Posts
Thanks, John. I'm looking forward to it.

Your "Big Bird" is looking good. She's getting close.

Den

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Morgan View Post
Great looking projects Dennis. Looking forward to seeing them at Vegas this fall!

J
Old Jun 14, 2012, 11:58 PM
Pollock Pines, CA
Joined Aug 2002
1,607 Posts
I've got most of the graphics mounted on 1mm foam and have cut out the parts. I'm reworking the "proof-of-concept" A-4 wing I built awhile back. I'm cannibalizing the wing to save some time. It will require some minor repairs and hopefully she will be ready to go. I've also cut out all of the former's. I should start roll forming the fuselage tomorrow. Sorry the pics are not of better quality.

Peace,
Den
Old Jun 16, 2012, 07:06 PM
Pollock Pines, CA
Joined Aug 2002
1,607 Posts
I started forming up the parts of the fuselage (Three parts) along with the vertical stab, horiz. stab, intakes and wing. I'm attaching pics to show how I do these. Boeing's manufacturing method has nothing on me.

Den
Old Jun 20, 2012, 06:27 PM
Pollock Pines, CA
Joined Aug 2002
1,607 Posts
I had to see it together. She is starting to take shape. I'm going on vacation this Saturday, fly fishing with my son in Montana. We've been doing this every summer for 30 years. Great gift to us both. I'll be gone for 10 days.

Enjoy the hobby.
Den
Old Jul 04, 2012, 01:11 PM
Pollock Pines, CA
Joined Aug 2002
1,607 Posts
I've just returned from my annual trip with my son to Montana fly fishing for 10 days. He is 46 and we've been doing this for over 30 years together every summer. This is truly a wonderful event for the both of us. Great friend, great fishing, and great country.

Now it's time to get back to the Kiwi Scooter. Hopefully, I can get her done within the month of July.

Happy 4th to all of you.

Dennis
Old Jul 10, 2012, 02:01 PM
Pollock Pines, CA
Joined Aug 2002
1,607 Posts
I've finished the wing restoration from an earlier A-4 that was totaled when I lost radio control from interference. I've got the saddle cut out and have internally glassed the cockpit/battery/equipment bay along with the nose for strength. I'm not the greatest pilot in the world. I've finished the vertical and horizontal stabs. The next area I'll be working on is the motor mount. I've got a "Little Screamers" Park jet motor. Any recommendations for a prop. would be appreciated. I have the canopy pattern nearly finished.

Please let me know your comments.

Dennis
Old Jul 15, 2012, 06:04 PM
Pollock Pines, CA
Joined Aug 2002
1,607 Posts
She's getting close. I've got everything, parts, etc. constructed and ready to be glued onto the fuse. I might maiden her this week. All the electronics are connected and tested. I will not have the canopy finished by the maiden, possibly this Tuesday.

Dennis
Old Jul 15, 2012, 06:08 PM
DELTAS RULE
tehachapi, CA
Joined Jan 2006
22,439 Posts
looking good!!!! man, i havnt seen onw of those motors in a while lol
corsair nut is online now Find More Posts by corsair nut
Old Jul 16, 2012, 05:26 AM
Now in TN!
Chapel Hill, TN USA
Joined Apr 2001
24,547 Posts
Good luck with it Dennis.

J
J Morgan is offline Find More Posts by J Morgan
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: OV-10A Bronco from Palmer Plans
Old Jul 16, 2012, 02:14 PM
Pollock Pines, CA
Joined Aug 2002
1,607 Posts
Thanks, Nut.

I've had that motor sitting in my box for quite sometime waiting for this bird. Can you recommend a motor to replace this one? I'm not being pessimistic, but I do want to do other pushers around this size down the road.

Good to hear from you. Will you be in Vegas?

Dennis
Quote:
Originally Posted by corsair nut View Post
looking good!!!! man, i havnt seen onw of those motors in a while lol
Old Jul 16, 2012, 02:17 PM
Pollock Pines, CA
Joined Aug 2002
1,607 Posts
Thanks, John.

I imagine you've had planes like this. She was always trying to "get away" from me during construction. I tried a new method of constructing the fuse. I thought it would be easier, but I was wrong. I'm not terribly happy with the way she is turning out, but I can live with it.

Dennis

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Morgan View Post
Good luck with it Dennis.

J
Old Jul 17, 2012, 07:44 PM
Pollock Pines, CA
Joined Aug 2002
1,607 Posts
Maiden.....
Unfortunately, I didn't get the A-4 done in time to maiden her, but we did maiden three birds.
I'm sorry the photos are not of better quality.

The Oscar flies beautifully. My friend flew her, today, in an 8 - 9 mph wind. She handled it with ease (at least for him). Terrific day!!!!!

We maidened the Hawker Hurricane and Gustav. The Hurricane flew without a hitch in the wind just like the other one that I have. The Me-109 I knew was going to be "squirrelly". The rear end of the fuse gave me some problems during construction and had a slight twist in it. My friend overcame this easily with aileron adjustment.

We waited around for some time hoping the wind would die. We finally decided to try the Hurc. first and see how it did. After this we flew the Oscar then Gustav.

All in all a great day.

Dennis