HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 10, 2012, 09:46 PM
This Calls for a Sexy Party
Minneapolis
Joined Sep 2010
639 Posts
Discussion
Travel with RC plane parts

i'm going down to Texas to spend my summer, i'm going to bring all of my rc parts ( TX, RX, Lipos, motors, esc, building parts, etc )
can i bring Lipo batteries on a domestic flight ( 1 2200 Mah 3 cells battery w/o balance plug for my TX, 3 370 mah 2 cells and a 460 mah 3 cells )?
what about motor, TX and other rc parts ?

Is it a bad idea to bring a 12 - 16 inches long section of carbon fiber rod with me ? or should i just get some bamboo skewer once i get down their ?

is there any guideline on what i can and can't bring with me ?
StewieRC is offline Find More Posts by StewieRC
Last edited by StewieRC; Jun 10, 2012 at 09:56 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 10, 2012, 10:06 PM
Hobby King Hater
USA
Joined Mar 2005
4,593 Posts
I don't think you can take the batteries. You will have to ship them UPS. They can't
be on a passenger plane.

http://www.faa.gov/about/office_org/..._batteries.pdf

They must weigh less than 25 grams.
Kimber is offline Find More Posts by Kimber
Old Jun 10, 2012, 10:50 PM
Electric Coolhunter
United States, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Jun 2000
14,634 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimber View Post
I don't think you can take the batteries. You will have to ship them UPS. They can't
be on a passenger plane.

They must weigh less than 25 grams.

Actually, my understanding is that you can carry a couple of typical lipos. The weight refers to the actual lithium content of the battery, not the total weight of the battery, which includes wires, case and electrolyte.

We had a guy fly in from Alaska to the SMALL event in Little Rock, AR last week and he brought a couple of decent size lipos in his carry on.

Any have good numbers on actual lithium content of our various size lipos?

I know that a 2000 mAh 18650 li ion cell has less than one gram of lithium in it.
Thomas B is offline Find More Posts by Thomas B
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Thomas B; Jun 10, 2012 at 10:58 PM.
Old Jun 10, 2012, 11:04 PM
Minneapolis
Joined Sep 2010
639 Posts
i know that i can bring lipo with me, just not sure how much is too much.
will TSA make me take all of my rc parts out to put through the scanner ?
i hope not, i don't want to shove everything back into my bag to try and catch my flight.
Old Jun 11, 2012, 02:13 AM
United States, CA, San Jose
Joined Apr 2012
42 Posts
Just ship it all, much easier and no hassel at the airport.
PBGOLFRC is offline Find More Posts by PBGOLFRC
Old Jun 11, 2012, 02:32 AM
Minneapolis
Joined Sep 2010
639 Posts
i would love to ship all of them if i have money to spend. i'm thinking about ship all of my lipo battery, small little stuffs ( hopefully will cost around $5 ) bring my charger, TX and whatever i can't ship with me in my carry on.
but i rather spend that $5 on parts for my next plane though
Last edited by StewieRC; Jun 11, 2012 at 02:37 AM.
Old Jun 11, 2012, 05:31 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Oct 2006
5,302 Posts
+1 Ship them, I rather not deal with the BS. skip lunch and you got the shipping fee's
fishycomics is offline Find More Posts by fishycomics
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jun 11, 2012, 10:06 AM
Electric Coolhunter
Joined Jun 2000
14,634 Posts
Lots of folks on here travel safely and without hassle by air with lipos. I am headed to Virginia Beach, VA on June 19 for a week and am bringing a couple of models and lipos with me. Picked up a Plano hard shell golf case that will hold my dismantled Eflite Mini Pulse and my Multiplex Merlin wrapped in foam. TX and lipos will be in my TX case, carried on, and the small tool bag and the charger will be in the suitcase.

Will bring along the printout of the FAA rules regarding lipos in luggage, just in case the TSA folks need a refresher.

Many report that the lipos going through the x-ray machine rarely elicit a hand bag check.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 2014 events and travel
Old Jun 11, 2012, 01:39 PM
Minneapolis
Joined Sep 2010
639 Posts
@Thomas B thanks for the info/
Old Jun 11, 2012, 03:38 PM
I fly 3-C Crash,Crunch,Crumble
USA, NM, Clovis
Joined Feb 2010
1,089 Posts
Not to be disrespectful, but if a $10.00 charge for shipping parts is a killer, You can not afford this trip. I would never travel if this amount was standing in my way. Sorry , but that's the way it is. Roy
Mr. foambuilder is online now Find More Posts by Mr. foambuilder
Old Jun 11, 2012, 03:41 PM
Fly it like you STOL it!
United States, FL, Daytona Beach
Joined Jan 2011
4,060 Posts
Yeah, loosen up your wallet a bit. you'll spend $10 on a big mac and a soda but not on your planes?? Get yer priorities straight!!! RC FIRST, THEN BASIC BODILY NEEDS!
Endlesslag is online now Find More Posts by Endlesslag
Old Jun 11, 2012, 04:43 PM
Electric Coolhunter
Joined Jun 2000
14,634 Posts
I took a few minutes at lunch and looked up the FAA/TSA lipo battery in baggage info.

Basically, you can have any number of lipo batteries that are less than 100 watt hours in your carry on luggage.

Volts x amp hours = Watt hours

So, you can carry lipos up to 5S 5000 mAh and be less than 100 watt hours

18.5V x 5 Ah = 92.5 watt hours.

Another formula is the amount of lithium in the battery. You can have any number of batteries with 8 grams or less of lithium. The lithium content formula is:

Amp hour per cell x number of cells x .3 grams

so the 5S 5000 lipo would have 5 x 5 x .3 grams of lithium, or 7.5 grams of lithium in that battery.

And you can have two batteries larger than 100 watt hours, with up to 25 grams of lithuim, or around three times the size of the 5S 5000 battery discussed above.

Seems like you could travel with just about any battery you might need...and large amounts of them.

I would not assume that the TSA folks are experts at this regulation and would bring along documents outlining what is permitted:

Formula to calculate amount of Lithium in a lipo:

http://images.fedex.com/us/services/...ery_JobAid.pdf
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 2014 events and travel
Old Jun 11, 2012, 07:52 PM
Minneapolis
Joined Sep 2010
639 Posts
@Thomas B thanks Thomas for the info, i'll sure print that out in case the TSA folk doesn't know about this.

@Mr. foambuilder i didn't pay for the trip, my aunt did, so yeah

@Endlesslag i haven't bought anything for myself in 2 months now, most of my money go into RC parts ( i don't have that much, trust me ). RC first, other thing later.
Old Jun 11, 2012, 10:36 PM
Yea, I fly dusty planes..
United States, LA, Angie
Joined Apr 2009
2,052 Posts
Now I know one of the people who hold up the TSA line carrying questionable items that should have been packed and shipped. I agree with Mr. Foambuilder, one mistake and your flying is history. ZEE
zeezee is offline Find More Posts by zeezee
Old Jun 12, 2012, 12:20 AM
Minneapolis
Joined Sep 2010
639 Posts
after further google search, i think i should be fine carry my rc parts, i put them in zip lock bag and label them, then put them in a box that clearly say : Toys Airplane Parts ( someone said it is better to said toy than rc, less questions to answer )

@zeezee Al Queada beat us on this one, i hate taking off my shoes, hoodies, empty my pocket at the airport security. At least we are safe right ?