SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 07, 2003, 03:48 PM
boo!!
Dallas(metro), TX
Joined Nov 2003
131 Posts
Question
Li-poly for Tiger Moth

I have been flying for quite a while now, but I am new to li-ion and li-poly batteries.
I would like to extend my flight times on my TM which ones would work best?

I did a search and so far it seems like a 2 cell pack of Kokam 1020's would be the best choice...but i am still kinda confuzzled. What about the chargers?
Thanks
Decrash is offline Find More Posts by Decrash
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 07, 2003, 03:54 PM
Rogers, MN. USA
Joined Mar 2003
593 Posts
This thread in the Batteries forum might help:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...hreadid=152536
MondoMor is offline Find More Posts by MondoMor
Old Nov 07, 2003, 04:00 PM
Senior Moments...I forgot
New Hyde Park, NY
Joined Mar 2001
1,007 Posts
I have been flying my Tiger Moth on two Li-Ion cells from Don Matlack for quite a while now. Easy 20 TO 30 MINUTES FLIGHTS. He sells the chager and the batteries and the best part the cells slip into the battery slot no mods. One happy customer.

John F. Clarke
AMA 9473
JohnC is offline Find More Posts by JohnC
Old Nov 07, 2003, 04:24 PM
ODB VI September 2014
United States, OK, Weleetka
Joined Dec 2000
8,534 Posts
I have a 700 mah lipoly that I bought from www.parkflyermotors.com . I also bought a charger from him.
I get flights of 40+ minutes with throttle at around 1/2.
Never have run out of power or not been able to climb as high as I want. Even at the end of a flight.
1987tc is offline Find More Posts by 1987tc
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Phone number change.
Old Nov 07, 2003, 06:37 PM
Rod
Canada, BC, Kelowna
Joined Nov 1999
920 Posts
I am sure the 2 - Kokam 1020 cells will fly the Tioger Moth. I am currently using 2 - Etec 1200's and getting 35 - 40 minute flights which is the limit of my endurance in one flight. I have used 2- Li-ion cells as well and they flew the T. M. very well.
Rod is offline Find More Posts by Rod
Old Nov 07, 2003, 07:30 PM
Cheapskate freeloader!
Orebro, Sweden
Joined Oct 2002
3,155 Posts
The 2s Kokam 1020mAh Lipolys will certainly fly the GWS Tiger Moth very well. You will get anywhere between 45 minutes and 1 hour flighttimes of lazy flying indoors with stock motor/gearbox, depending on your throttlemanagement. Flying outdoors seems to require more throttle, so Iīve never had more than 30 minutes on one pack outdoors.
The most obvious thing limiting duration outdoors compared to indoors is when the battery has begun to run low. You just donīt have the power to struggle against any wind at the end of an outdoor flight, while you still have plenty of power for lazy cirkles indoors.

Anders
Zeroaltitude is offline Find More Posts by Zeroaltitude
Old Nov 07, 2003, 07:54 PM
Zoom, zoom...
Roseville, CA (Sacramento area)
Joined May 2003
3,514 Posts
I have done 53 minutes outdoors on a 6 mph constant breeze with the 1020 Kokams. My Moth was very light at 6 oz AUW and flying into the wind unloaded the motor quite a bit. I averaged 40-45 minutes the rest of the time.
Trikster is offline Find More Posts by Trikster
Old Nov 07, 2003, 08:02 PM
Charlotte Douglas, NC
Joined Sep 2003
3,015 Posts
I run the Etech 700mah lipolys and average (I always do throttle mangement even with not thinking about it) 50+ minutes of flight time outdoors. never flown indoors to see what I could get.

DD
DoomsDay is offline Find More Posts by DoomsDay
Old Nov 07, 2003, 09:25 PM
boo!!
Dallas(metro), TX
Joined Nov 2003
131 Posts
thanks, I guess the decision is made on the batteries..kokam 1020's it shall be. What charger are you guys using?
Decrash is offline Find More Posts by Decrash
Old Nov 07, 2003, 09:37 PM
Zoom, zoom...
Joined May 2003
3,514 Posts
I am using the Wes-Tech charger available thru HeliHobby.com. I bought their wall adapter as well. Works so well, I have two of them.
Old Nov 07, 2003, 10:46 PM
St. Louis Metro
Joined Apr 2003
2,440 Posts
Are the Kokam 1020s still available? I thought Kokam stopped making them a while back?

I think all that's available now from Kokam are 680s, 700s, and 1500s.

WJ
WJ Birmingham is offline Find More Posts by WJ Birmingham
Old Nov 07, 2003, 11:17 PM
gravity-challenged
Victor, Idaho
Joined Sep 2003
136 Posts
quote "flying into the wind unloaded the motor quite a bit"

Oh no, not another upwind vs. downwind discussion!
How, please, does flying into the wind unload your motor, I'm very curious about this.
swooper is offline Find More Posts by swooper
Old Nov 07, 2003, 11:47 PM
Zoom, zoom...
Joined May 2003
3,514 Posts
WJ, I have seen them still available but the last ones I have purchased said 1050 on them. Upon looking at the cell, it looks just like my 1020's in every respect.

As to the upwind deal, I think the motor is not having to work as hard to make the wings produce lift as it flies into the wind. My guess is that by flying into the wind, the prop behaves like its pitch is reduced. Reduced pitch means less draw from the motor (on the same prop size). Less draw means that the pack can last longer on a given charge. Thats what I think and I am sticking to it (until someone smarter comes along and says I am wrong )
Old Nov 08, 2003, 12:40 AM
Silent Flight
Tucson, AZ USA
Joined Oct 2002
3,946 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Decrash
thanks, I guess the decision is made on the batteries..kokam 1020's it shall be. What charger are you guys using?
Decrash:

The Kokam 1020's have been working fine with my Moth for quite a while, although I'd go with the Etec 700's at this point in time (they were not available when I bought packs for my Moth). They are lighter and appear to give the same, if not better performace than the old 1020's on GWS IPS'.

Charger? The Triton works great! It serves most all needs at a bit over $100.00.

daveWCO
daveWCO is offline Find More Posts by daveWCO
Old Nov 08, 2003, 06:45 AM
ODB VI September 2014
United States, OK, Weleetka
Joined Dec 2000
8,534 Posts
An airplane does not know if it is flying upwind. Ground speed changes but airspeed does not.
There is no difference in the loading of the motor because the airplane is flying at the same AIRspeed it already was.
This goes along with the "down wind turn" myth.
Peop[le will stall and crash because the GROUND speed has picked up when the fly down wind and they try and slow the model down. It looses airspeed and stalls. The AIRspeed does not change going up or down wind at all. As long as the throttle is the same.
This gets debated over and over again on many forums.
Hopefully it won't start up again now.
Wes
1987tc is offline Find More Posts by 1987tc
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Phone number change.