HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 07, 2003, 04:02 PM
Fly it like you stole it..
Florence, Al
Joined Oct 2000
29,310 Posts
Well.. it looks like you fly 3D.. but.. What mixes do YOU like?

Well.. just what the subject says..

Most of us here already fly 3D.. Some of us are learning.. Some of just are just dilusional to think we'll ever fly 3D.

Anyway, for the newbs and not so newbs to mixing, expo, etc..

What do you find yourself using?

Are there any mixes you just cannot live without?

I personally have not used very much mixing throughout my 3D career.. None actually.. but that's all about to change. So color me newb I suppose..
Tram is offline Find More Posts by Tram
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 07, 2003, 04:18 PM
And You're Not
Timbuktu, Mali (Happy?)
Joined Oct 2002
6,514 Posts
That's why I went with dual aileron servos...so I could mix!

I find myself using flaperon a lot, it will tighten the loops up to the point it looks like an upright waterfall. Also gives me 3 servos working pitch, which can't hurt. And speaking of waterfalls.. just amazingly tight.

Then there is spoilerons...these little 5 oz/ft loaded planes will harrier, but elevators are tougher for me. Until you add spoilerons. Now harriers are even easier, more controllable...elevators are still needing practice.

I run all the throw I can get and about 35% expo...I think, I'd have to look. This keeps it manageble in normal flight, but lets it rock when you mash them sticks. I don't use dual rates at all, high all the time. Rudder is 30% expo.

Actually, this is the set up from my Sledge.. I just copied it to my OMP FF 540, then on to the Trident.. So all of my aerobatic 3D planes are running the same set up.
Jeffery is offline Find More Posts by Jeffery
Old Nov 07, 2003, 04:23 PM
Pro Bro #495
Farmington NM
Joined Apr 2002
3,194 Posts
expo.

I used to have a flaperon to elevator mix, but I hardly ever used it and now I don't even bother to set it up.
fwilly is offline Find More Posts by fwilly
Old Nov 07, 2003, 04:38 PM
Profiled Interfractionalist
Tacoma,WA USA
Joined Jun 2001
4,024 Posts
No mix, unless your counting flaperon and spoileron.
No EPA, no expo, max throw on control surfaces.
Nothing.
William A is offline Find More Posts by William A
Old Nov 07, 2003, 04:42 PM
Proud Pro Bro # 13
Houston, TX
Joined Jun 2003
1,762 Posts
well, I use flaperons and spoilerons (pretty nice for stopping wingrocking in harrier flight specially on those profiles) as well as of course exponential, some aileron differential (more up moving then down moving on each aileron), and also use mixing sometimes to get rid of Knife Edge coupling. Mixing is of course also used to assign different switches on your transmitter.

Ulf
Ulf Rieder is offline Find More Posts by Ulf Rieder
Old Nov 07, 2003, 06:54 PM
ProBro Dragracer
Green Lane, PA
Joined Jun 2003
141 Posts
Guys, this new thread is perfect timing for me. I am very new to this 3D style of flying and I'm loving it. I do have a question that I hope you can help me with. I have devoured my manual for my Futuba T6XA radio, and although it does mention flaperons, from what I can gather, Futuba's definition of flaperons is different than what you guys are talking about. I'm under the impression that you're talking about coupling the flaps and elevators so that they move together but in opposite directions (up/down, down/up). This would certainly give you that tight turning radius that everyone is talking about for loops, waterfalls, etc. I also remember reading somewhere that in 3D flying, the spoileron function means that you are moving the ailerons in the same direction as the elevators (up/up, down/down). If I'm reading my manual correctly, it seems that the flaperon function that is built into my radio will either raise or lower the ailerons together, but it is not designed to work opposite the elevator direction. My question is, can I program my T6XA to work flaperons and spoilerons in true 3D fashion, or do I need a more advanced radio? I have an airbrake switch and a landing gear switch on my Tx that are currently unused, maybe one of them could be programmed to work the flaperons and spoilerons somehow. As always, thanks for the help.

Vince
Cougar347 is offline Find More Posts by Cougar347
Old Nov 07, 2003, 07:27 PM
Pro Bro #495
Farmington NM
Joined Apr 2002
3,194 Posts
flaperons is using dual aileron servos and mixing them together so that they function as ailerons and flaps, which can then be slaved to the elevator in either direction. Don't know much about your radio so can't help there
fwilly is offline Find More Posts by fwilly
Old Nov 07, 2003, 10:00 PM
Joined Nov 2001
20 Posts
Cougar346, for the T6XA, I think what you are looking for is the section titled "2->6 Elevator -> Flap Mixing" (pg 35)
paulm is offline Find More Posts by paulm
Old Nov 07, 2003, 10:20 PM
ProBro Dragracer
Green Lane, PA
Joined Jun 2003
141 Posts
paulm-you're on the money. Guess I didn't read the manual as carefully as I thought-I kept focusing on the flaperon section. Thank you.
Cougar347 is offline Find More Posts by Cougar347
Old Nov 08, 2003, 02:59 AM
Aerial Shutterbug
San Mateo, California, United States
Joined Nov 2001
5,007 Posts
Depending upon the maneuver:

Flaperon Mix: Loops, Wall, Blenders, Climbing Inverted flat spins
Spoileron Mix: Waterfalls, Knife Edge spins, *Harrier, Elevator.

*Note: Not all wing designs benefit (read: lessen wing rocking) from spoileron mixing. Mostly big fat airfoils benefit from this as you're trying to keep the wing from completely 'flying' at high alpha.

Roger
RMihara is offline Find More Posts by RMihara