Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jun 29, 2012, 07:16 AM
United Kingdom, England, East Riding of Yorkshire
Joined Jan 2011
607 Posts
Looking good! certainly captured the Vulcan lines – amazed how quickly this build is progressing – keep up the great work
Best
Charles
Spitfire1954 is offline Find More Posts by Spitfire1954
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 29, 2012, 08:12 AM
The "pro" in procrastination
Canada, ON, Kingston
Joined Mar 2004
2,656 Posts
That's gorgeous. I only wish I had seen you do the servo extension boxes before I closed up the wing of my Lancaster!

Oh, and get that thing off the dining room table before SWMBO gets home...

Steve
Steve85 is offline Find More Posts by Steve85
Old Jun 29, 2012, 08:57 AM
Watts Matter?
UK, South Yorkshire
Joined Feb 2011
466 Posts
Thanks Charles. It may appear to be happening quickly but it certainly doesn't feel that way. Yes, the pleasing lines of the Vulcan are definately showing through. Lovely looking aircraft.
Steve, the model is already off the coffee table, housework done, no one would ever know there's been a 6 ft long Vulcan in the front room!
swmbo? I can only guess what the acronym means and believe me, I can make quite a few words fit!
Cheers guys
Roy
Electriflier is offline Find More Posts by Electriflier
Old Jun 29, 2012, 09:07 AM
The "pro" in procrastination
Canada, ON, Kingston
Joined Mar 2004
2,656 Posts
Roy,

SWMBO - "She Who Must Be Obeyed" - Rumpole of the Bailey

Steve
Steve85 is offline Find More Posts by Steve85
Old Jul 01, 2012, 02:27 AM
rotherham england
Joined Aug 2006
8 Posts
Masterclass

Well Roy i have to say it is a pleasure to see your work even though it shows up my very average sausage fingered attempts.!
Looking forward to seeing it commit aviation.
filipefelop is offline Find More Posts by filipefelop
Old Jul 01, 2012, 03:51 AM
Watts Matter?
UK, South Yorkshire
Joined Feb 2011
466 Posts
Morning..........
Thank you filipefelop (Phil from now on!). I've seen your models and your modest underestimation of your skills does't do you justice!
A minor diversion....
As you might remember, I mentioned that I would like to consider retracts. Well I considered, and yes, they're being included.
The reason I'm happy to state this now is twofold. First, the AUW per retract unit (servo, pushrod, retract, leg, wheel) is 88gms or 3ounces. I can live with that!
Secondly, I want the main retract wheels to be in the region of 3" to ensure smooth running on our field. 3" wheels do fit within the depth of the wing at the site of the retract so, retracts it is!
To arrive at these conclusions, I had to spend quite a long time yesterday knocking up a retract ' module'. By module, I mean a unit that can be worked on away from the wing and then fitted (sort of plugged-in) as a component when the wing is being built. I'm delighted with the results in that the 'modules' are strong and light and have allowed me to test the strength of servo required to lift the wheel and leg. Far easier in my mind than having to do all this as part of the structure of the wing.
I used dense, lightweight pink foam block as the major 'bulk' of the unit. I had already drawn out how the retract and servo would fit into the foam and so cutting out the channels and recesses in the foam was pretty straight forward using a balsa saw and long bladed craft knife. The leg itself is of 14 swg piano wire, 6" long to axle and I'm using lightweight 3" foam wheels.
One of the areas of the unit that does require strength is where the retract screws into the block. I epoxied some 1/4" square hardwood bearers into the foam to take the weight of the retract mechanism.
I used 1/8" lightply for the servo tray and other top piece and again, epoxied in place. I ended up using a 3.6kg torque mini servo as the first 1.6kg torque micro one wasn't up to the job of lifting the leg.
I use a Spektrum DX8 radio and because I've gone down the mechanical, servo-driven retract route, I can slow the retract lift and drop to a realistic speed.
Offering the retract module up to the wing root rib, I can see that there will be no problems in housing the unit when the time comes.
Sunday today and SWMBO (thank you Steve) has got plans so.......Vulcan on hold
Roy
Old Jul 01, 2012, 02:24 PM
leicestershire uk
Joined Sep 2006
373 Posts
Looking good Roy, just worrying that with your motor right at the back the prop will get very close to the ground when rotating for take off.
Glenn
glenn7e is offline Find More Posts by glenn7e
Old Jul 01, 2012, 02:36 PM
Watts Matter?
UK, South Yorkshire
Joined Feb 2011
466 Posts
Glenn, a previous build of mine, a F15 pusher
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1395155
had exactly the same clearances at the business end and takes off and lands without any problems. I have already been able to check this measurement and this information dictated the length of the retract leg on the Vulcan. It has always got to be taken into consideration when fitting retracts to a pusher model. Before I confirmed the clearances, I was still happy to fit retracts purely for landings but being the same as the f15.....all good.
Old Jul 05, 2012, 03:35 PM
Watts Matter?
UK, South Yorkshire
Joined Feb 2011
466 Posts
Days 15, 16 & 17
3rd, 4th & 5th July
It's been a while since I updated the log but apart from finishing the wing retract modules, I've not really had anything new to add.
Over the last 3 days, I have concentrated my efforts into starting the wings.
The various attempts at this build by others have tackled the wings in different ways. A great deal of Tuesday was spent working out the best way for me. My greatest concern was strength and rigidity of the wing. I could only guess just how strong the finished article was going to be. One of the previous Vulcan builds I have read, the wings were covered in 5 or 6mm Depron. I definately was going to be using 3mm Depron for skinning. Anyhow, after much deliberation, decided to build the wing using conventional ribs and spars.
The Vulcan's wing towards the tips, is quite heavily undercambered and me being me, wants to capture this 'feature' rather than simply building a standard semi-symmetrical wing which tapers evenly to the tip. The outer 3 ribs taken from the 3 view, should create the correct profile if I get the alignment correct.
I built the wing using conventional ribs and spars, all of 6mm depron. Each rib had centre lines marked on them which I used to 'jig' the up from the building board using packers all of the same depth.
Also, I cut right-angled pieces of depron to hold the ribs vertical in place on the board. The leading edge was made from 2 x 6mm laminated pieces of Depron.(12mm). I notched out the L/E at the location of each rib and also, notched out each rib to ensure a snug fit with the L/E. I measured and cut a centre spar from 6mm and half-lapped this into each rib. Once I was completely happy with the alignment, I disassembled the whole thing and duplicated each part for the second wing.
PU glue was used to glue all the wing ribs, spars and LE together. Both wings were assembled before the end of the second day. Yes, the work on the wings to date had taken two days.
This morning, the glue had dried and I was pleasantly surprised at just how firm the wing framework was. Although still flexing, I'm pretty sure that once skinned, will become quite a strong, light structure that will be up to the job (I hope). I am prepared however to scrap the wings and start again if they are not strong enough. As I said, I've not really built with Depron using conventional building methods and so therefore cannot forecast just how good the finished wing is going to be.
Anyhow, today I started to skin the top side of each wing. Firstly, I covered 2 700x1000mm sheets of 3mm depron with the signwriters application tape and then laid each wing in turn onto the sheets and drew around each rib and spar with a felt tip pen. This will not only help me when cutting out the wing skin but also help me when I have to apply the contact adhesive onto the wing. (see pic)
I cut both wing skins out and then spent a good while shaping the skins using the good old massage technique. It really was only the L/E that required curving and so, once the skins fitted each wing without having to apply pressure to get them to fit,(ie, curved correctly to the contour of the wing framework), UhU Por was applied to the wing skeleton and also the areas on the skin marked out with the felt tip.
I started the alignment of each wing skinning at the T/E as, there were straight lines to work from. It was then simply a matter of flipping the wing over on the building board so that I could press the framework onto the wing skin.
This part of the wing build was pretty uneventful and so I was left with time to start working on the inboard elevons which you can see in the picture.
As for the strength and integrity of the wing, with only one side skinned, I'm absolutely blown away by just how rigid the wing has become. Incredible material!
For now.............Cheers, Roy.
Last edited by Electriflier; Jul 05, 2012 at 03:46 PM.
Old Jul 05, 2012, 04:52 PM
leicestershire uk
Joined Sep 2006
373 Posts
Great work Roy. Even at this size with 3mm skins the outer panels need very little reinforcing to be plenty strong enough and it is surprising just how stable the structure is.
Glenn
glenn7e is offline Find More Posts by glenn7e
Old Jul 06, 2012, 04:31 AM
United Kingdom, England, East Riding of Yorkshire
Joined Jan 2011
607 Posts
Coming along very nicely – impressive stuff – looking forward to seeing this fly

Best
Charles
Spitfire1954 is offline Find More Posts by Spitfire1954
Old Jul 06, 2012, 02:51 PM
Watts Matter?
UK, South Yorkshire
Joined Feb 2011
466 Posts
Glenn, Charles, thanks.....
Just so I dont have to write up another long-winded log update, it's best I update the log frequently. Not much done today but here's a few more pictures.
I did manage to cut out the wing tips from pink foam and epoxy them onto the wings ready for shaping, maybe tomorrow if I get the chance. I also cut out my control horns for the inboard elevons from 1/16" plywood and glued them in place. Now that these are securely fastened in the elevon, I can get the top skins on these control surfaces.
That's about it for today.......
Old Jul 07, 2012, 04:59 PM
rotherham england
Joined Aug 2006
8 Posts
That is definately looking the dogs dangly bits and coming together quite quickly.Cannot wait for the maiden flight,keep up the good work.
filipefelop is offline Find More Posts by filipefelop
Old Jul 08, 2012, 02:37 PM
Watts Matter?
UK, South Yorkshire
Joined Feb 2011
466 Posts
Hi phil, thanks for that. Looking forward to flying the Vulcan myself. Having said that, I'm in no hurry to finish the build, it's very enjoyable. I've spent a couple of hours this morning making the outboard elevons and hinging all four of the Wing control surfaces. I've also epoxied in one of two wing joining spars in each wing. 6mm carbon tube was used. I'll upload photographs tomorrow when I've done a bit more work.
Cheers
Roy
Old Jul 12, 2012, 01:57 PM
Watts Matter?
UK, South Yorkshire
Joined Feb 2011
466 Posts
Lost count of the days on the build......
I'm struggling to get the time to update the log on an evening so forgive me if my narrative is a little on the scant side.
The past few days since the last log update have been spent working on the wings, control surfaces, servo installation (wing) and skinning of the wing underside.
I have installed 2 servos per wing which I intend to use in a standard elevator/aileron configuration but I'll have the ability to change the wing type to elevon if I want go this way.
I've used the same servos in the wings as I have used in the retracts. Offering 3.5kg torque, metal output and just slightly larger than a micro servo, suits the purpose.
With the control surfaces hinged and glued in place, I inset some 1/4" hardwood strips in place in the wing to carry my 3mm lightply servo hatches. I also used the 1/4" hardwood to make the bearers on the underside of my servo hatches which will hold the servo in place. (servo will be fastened to the underside of the hatch). I needed also at this stage to install the servo extension wires through the wing to the location of the servos.
Using 3mm lightlply for the servo hatches means that when the time comes to skin the wing, the servo hatches will sit flush with the wing skin.
It appears that I might have forgot to mention the wing strengthener installation. Basically, I have used 6mm carbon fibre tubing which is permanently secure into each wing and plugs into the fuz and also I have installed brass tubing in the wing to carry a removeable 1m length of 6mm carbon fibre tubing (This piece passes completely through the fuselage and approx 300mm into each wing).
Skinning of the underside of the wing was a little more challenging than the top surface in that the underside is undercambered towards the tip. I used the same technique that I used on the top, Uhu Por contact adhesive, pre-shaped 3mm depron applied from the trailing edge of the wing forward.
Once the underside was sheeted, held the wing up to the light to locate the servo recesses and retract locations and cut out the require shapes for the wing servo hatches and retract bay.
Basically that's where I am at the moment. Again, apologies for the poor write-up but I think pictures tell a btter story anyway.
Cheers
Roy
Last edited by Electriflier; Jul 12, 2012 at 05:25 PM.