HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 14, 2012, 08:56 AM
It must have a machinegun
Perth, Western Australia
Joined Sep 2004
1,274 Posts
I find one of the challenges with depron is getting the panels matching well enough that you don't need to sand the depron and remove the skin.
You seem to be doing well so far.
Scaledown is online now Find More Posts by Scaledown
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 14, 2012, 03:09 PM
Watts Matter?
UK, South Yorkshire
Joined Feb 2011
476 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scaledown View Post
I find one of the challenges with depron is getting the panels matching well enough that you don't need to sand the depron and remove the skin.
You seem to be doing well so far.
You're right scaledown. It's my first attempt using depron in this way. Experienced builders will probably be cringing at my results because the panel joints are far from perfect. I've no doubt that by the end of the build, it will be a different story and I wont be quite so reliant on filler. As each day goes by, I'm learning which is exactly what I enjoy about the hobby. I've managed a few hours on the build today and I'll upload a couple of pictures later.
Cheers
Roy
Electriflier is offline Find More Posts by Electriflier
Old Jun 14, 2012, 03:31 PM
leicestershire uk
Joined Sep 2006
373 Posts
I usually start by rolling the depron over the edge of the kitchen worktop then by kneeding the sheet between my fingers it can be coaxed into quite good compound curves even on quite big pieces.
Glenn
glenn7e is offline Find More Posts by glenn7e
Old Jun 14, 2012, 03:53 PM
ich bauen groß modell flugzeug
United Kingdom, London
Joined Dec 2010
6,832 Posts
nice
Keenan smith is offline Find More Posts by Keenan smith
Old Jun 14, 2012, 03:58 PM
Watts Matter?
UK, South Yorkshire
Joined Feb 2011
476 Posts
Day 5
Thursday 14th June
Before I start, I must apologise for not taking any photographs early on in the day. I simply got carried away and forgot!
My goal today was to get the bomb aimers window bulge done under the fuz and to finish the skinning at the rear of the nose assembly.
Skinning
At the end of the battery compartment, I had used a square piece of depron thinking that this is all I would need to secure the nose section to the rest of the fuz. I had overlooked the fact that I needed a full round former there to finish the cylindrical section of the fuz. After checking the 3 view for the correct diameter of the former, used the compass cutter to make it cut from 6mm depron.
Rather than cut off the square section of depron that was at the back of the battery tray, I simply cut it down to the size of the battery tray. It was then quite a simple job to cut a square of the same size from the round former and glue the former in place.
Here is where I should have taken some pictures. I measured some 3mm depron to skin the rear of the nose section (between the new former and the next former along). Again, using contact adhesive, glued the skin in place. FYI, most of this section of the nose will be buried inside the fuselage so a good finish is not of paramount importance.
Bomb Aimers Window
The bulge underneath the fuselage was made using the same methods as the cockpit. A 6mm centre keel with 6mm formers and then skinned in 3mm.
I will simply add a piece of acetate to the front of the bulge when she's been painted.
Bearing in mind what 'Scaledown' said in his last post, my skills are not yet to a standard where I don't need to use filler. I spent a good hour going around the fuselage filling dings and joints and then left it for a couple of hours to dry before a light sanding.
I brushed the whole thing over with a light coat of grey acrylic and I have
to say I think she'll look fantastic when the top coat and camouflage is applied.
Again, sorry about the lack of photographs but here's a few taken towards the end of the afternoon.
Roy
Old Jun 15, 2012, 06:31 AM
United Kingdom, England, East Riding of Yorkshire
Joined Jan 2011
614 Posts
Great work – progressing nicely – Depron certainly appears to be a good building medium.

Charles
Spitfire1954 is online now Find More Posts by Spitfire1954
Old Jun 15, 2012, 02:14 PM
Watts Matter?
UK, South Yorkshire
Joined Feb 2011
476 Posts
Charles, thanks for the comments and yes, I have to agree, Depron is great to work with.
Day 6
Friday 15th June
Fuselage Components
First job was to identify the fuselage formers and ribs from the 3 view plan. Bearing in mind that the drawings are tiled onto A0 sheets, some of the fuselage components spanned the tiles and needed accurately sticking together. It seems daft really, you spend a couple of hours sticking bits of paper together simply to cut it up into smaller pieces! Anyhow, once the paper templates had been cut out, I spray mounted (3M photo spray mount) them onto a sheet of 6mm Depron (see pic).
Although I have the mat cutter that I use, I wasn't able to use it on these components because there were very few straight lines to follow. So all the pieces were carefully cut out freehand. I know it's common sense to most of us but it's worth saying anyhow that it's really important to ensure clean 90 degree cuts so care has to be taken to hold the knife vertical at all times. So, it took quite a while to cut everything from the sheets. Components where more than one was required (wing root ribs etc x 4), I pinned them together after cutting and sanded out any minor discrepancies. Once I had cut everything out, I was tempted to remove the paper templates from the pieces. It made sense to leave them on for the time being so that I could reference the component centres which were marked on the drawings). I took each fuselage former and pierced the centre hole with a sharpened piece of 2mm carbon rod, one at a time. Just to check my measuring and alignment, threaded each former back onto the carbon rod. see pic 2. Pleased with the outcome, they lined up beautifully.
Now some space was needed as I had to work on 2 x A0 sheets that showed the plan view of the main fuselage. I suppose the difficult part of ascertaining positions of the components on the 3 view is the fact that, because the drawing has been scaled up, the lines in some areas can be 3mm thick and vague and can only be used for guidance and not relied upon for accuracy. Nevertheless, if things were too easy, would it be as much fun?
A metre rule, a few cups of coffee and a bit of head-scratching later and I had marked out on the plan just where the formers needed to sit. The 'longtitudal' fuselage ribs locations were clearly shown on the 3 view so they weren't a problem. I have made a start on 'notching' out the fuselage components and hope to slot most of the fuselage framework together tomorrow so......until then.
Cheers
Roy
Old Jun 17, 2012, 12:41 PM
Watts Matter?
UK, South Yorkshire
Joined Feb 2011
476 Posts
Day 7
Sunday 17th June
Father's Day today so my good lady suggested I might like to spend a few hours on the build - I didn't need telling twice!
Managed around 3 hours this afternoon and the goal was to get all the fuselage ribs, formers etc assembled and glued.
The fuselage former templates show the location of the turbine ducting through the length of the aircraft. Although this model is being built as a pusher, I thought it would help if I could utilise at least a pair of these to channel cool air down onto the Esc's and motors. With this in mind, I cut out the outer circles on each of the formers (approx 60mm dia). I had a rather large sheet of lightweight glossy poster card in the office that looked perfect for the job. Lightly rolled to the rough size of the holes in the formers, sprung back to fit the holes perfectly when I let go. Not only will the tubing offer less drag by allowing air to pass through the model (from the intake area) and cooling for the motor and Esc, it also helps in the alignment of the formers and, when glued, stiffen up the fuselage.
Bearing in mind all the component parts had already been cut, it was a matter of dry-fitting everything, checking alignment etc. Basically, the whole thing just slotted together like one big interlocking jigsaw and even before glueing, was surprisingly rigid and true/square. Having read many many threads on depron builds, the one thing that seemed to keep cropping up was polyurethane ('PU') glue and so, after Charles my mate dropped a bottle on my desk, I thought, why not give it a try?.
I'm not going to go into a discussion about the stuff apart from to say, it works! and it works well! - So, right at the beginning of this thread I said that I would be using UhU Por and foam-safe CA adhesives on this build, there will be areas where the PU will be better suited to the job.
The fuselage assembly is one area where this is definately the case.The PU gave me sufficient time to glue and assemble the fuz components and before setting, allowed me to check alignment of all parts. Within a very short period of time, the glue had done its 'frothing' and had set leaving me with a very strong lattice-work fuselage assembly.
The outer- fuselage wing root ribs, I 'notched' out allowing the fuz formers to key in very securely. Again, PU glued in place.
Finally, I glued in the lightweight card ducting tubes.
The result is a very strong, light framework which seems to have gone together very quickly.
I almost forgot, I also glued the 6mm depron bulkhead into its correct location. This will require quite a considerable amount of strengthening as it is where the nose section will be joined to the fuselage. For now though, it just allows me to identify the correct location and 'drooped' angle of the nose.
Time flows through your fingers sooooo quickly and so I only had time to take a few pictures of the progress to date before I had to call it a day. One or two show the nose laid in place (not fixed). Hoping for a bit of progress tomorrow.........
Old Jun 17, 2012, 01:01 PM
leicestershire uk
Joined Sep 2006
373 Posts
Looking good Roy.I ducted all four exhausts through on mine with the idea it might reduce drag a bit to let air pass through. I dont know if it makes a difference but it doesnt seem to hurt the performance.
Glenn
glenn7e is offline Find More Posts by glenn7e
Old Jun 17, 2012, 01:15 PM
Watts Matter?
UK, South Yorkshire
Joined Feb 2011
476 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by glenn7e View Post
Looking good Roy.I ducted all four exhausts through on mine with the idea it might reduce drag a bit to let air pass through. I dont know if it makes a difference but it doesnt seem to hurt the performance.
Glenn
And there's me thinking I'm being innovative and ground-breaking.
To date, it's been thoroughly enjoyable. As I said, if it comes out half as good as yours, I'll be happy. Spit's looking good mate.
Old Jun 18, 2012, 04:06 PM
Joined Jul 2009
291 Posts
Coming along very nicely!

You thought about the wiring yet? Are you going to build the electrics into the fuz before skinning?

This is one model that I can't wait to see flying!
Sandracer17 is offline Find More Posts by Sandracer17
Old Jun 18, 2012, 04:29 PM
Watts Matter?
UK, South Yorkshire
Joined Feb 2011
476 Posts
Cheers Sandracer17. Wiring will be routed before skinning. Access hatches will probably be necessary in strategic places on the model. I have been considering the advantages/disadvantages of making it a single pusher rather than a twin. Undecided yet but will need to make my mind up before too long. Got a bit done today but not worth an update to the log.
Roy
Old Jun 18, 2012, 06:01 PM
This is a fine fiddly business
United States, WA, Marysville
Joined May 2009
1,381 Posts
Roy,
Watching closely. You build both rapidly and beautifully.
Best,
Robert
Robert R is offline Find More Posts by Robert R
Old Jun 19, 2012, 12:14 AM
Res Ipsa Aviatur
Sonoma County CA!
Joined Jul 2007
1,337 Posts
Hi Roy,

This project is coming along really nicely. I had the good fortune to walk around under the Vulcan at RAF Hendon last year. Man, that's alot of wing area!

Paul
Longhorne is offline Find More Posts by Longhorne
Old Jun 19, 2012, 03:32 AM
Watts Matter?
UK, South Yorkshire
Joined Feb 2011
476 Posts
Robert, Paul, thank you for your input. I'm of the age that I remember vividly, 3 to 4 vulcans per day flying over my parents house in the early 60's. A golden era in the jet age in my opinion. It has been said in the past that I build rather quickly. It doesn't feel that way to me sometimes! Even on days when I am unable to physically work on the model, a lot of time is spent thinking about various aspects and options and so if all these hours were taken into consideration, I'd probably appear to build at a snails pace!.
Roy