HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 27, 2013, 06:05 AM
Watts Matter?
UK, South Yorkshire
Joined Feb 2011
465 Posts
Fuelsguy, yes I think you did but never mind, still worth watching -thanks
Bloodline, I agree and when my good friend Sandracer17 gets his finger out, there may well be a Hunter flying alongside my Vulcan.
Just as a side note, I've recently purchased and built a quadcopter with GPS which carries my Gopro HD camera. This hopefully should allow for some rather interesting video of my Vulcan when better weather arrives. The plan is to set the quad up at a couple of hundred feet in GPS lock mode (stationary - altitude, longitude and latitude locked by the GPS) and fly the Vulcan upto and toward the camera. Also, if I can get one of my fellow club members to fly the Vulcan, I could follow te Vulcan in fpv from te quad. Can't wait for better weather.
Finally, more good news for me is that next month, I have been invited to XH558's hangar along with my model to take some photographs and hopefully meet the team of dedicated staff who keep the real old lady flying. If all goes to plan, I hope to post some of the pictures up here. Remember, 2013 looks like being the last year that XH558 flies sadly and even then, only if sufficient cash is raised to enable her final season. If anyone wants to find out more about xh558, visit http://www.vulcantothesky.org/
Electriflier is offline Find More Posts by Electriflier
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 27, 2013, 06:48 AM
Avro Vulcan Enthusiast
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jun 2011
59 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electriflier View Post
Fuelsguy, yes I think you did but never mind, still worth watching -thanks
Bloodline, I agree and when my good friend Sandracer17 gets his finger out, there may well be a Hunter flying alongside my Vulcan.
Just as a side note, I've recently purchased and built a quadcopter with GPS which carries my Gopro HD camera. This hopefully should allow for some rather interesting video of my Vulcan when better weather arrives. The plan is to set the quad up at a couple of hundred feet in GPS lock mode (stationary - altitude, longitude and latitude locked by the GPS) and fly the Vulcan upto and toward the camera. Also, if I can get one of my fellow club members to fly the Vulcan, I could follow te Vulcan in fpv from te quad. Can't wait for better weather.
Finally, more good news for me is that next month, I have been invited to XH558's hangar along with my model to take some photographs and hopefully meet the team of dedicated staff who keep the real old lady flying. If all goes to plan, I hope to post some of the pictures up here. Remember, 2013 looks like being the last year that XH558 flies sadly and even then, only if sufficient cash is raised to enable her final season. If anyone wants to find out more about xh558, visit http://www.vulcantothesky.org/
I managed to get some great aerial photos with my quadcopter, before a very hard landing snapped the nav board in half! So I'm really excited to see how you get on filming your beautiful vulcan model!

I request that you do a slow low pass followed by a steep climb out and then a wing over
bloodline is offline Find More Posts by bloodline
Old Jan 29, 2013, 01:26 PM
Avro Vulcan Enthusiast
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jun 2011
59 Posts
@Electriflier

I notice that you seem to have ailerons and elevators on your model, I have opted for Elevons on mine... Is there any particular reason for your choice?
Old Jan 29, 2013, 10:43 PM
St.Catharines, Ontario
Joined Jan 2009
10,377 Posts
Elevons need to move more in order to make direction changes. this means more drag and a greater loss of total lift. you are always better off to separate the two if you can. nothing wrong with your choice, as long as you are aware of how they work, aerodynamically speaking. it's the biggest reason why delta's slow down so much during maneuvers. if you keep the control surfaces separate, you decrease the possibility of stall, due to deceleration/loss of lift while pulling AOA.

Rich
LuvEvolution7 is offline Find More Posts by LuvEvolution7
Old Jan 30, 2013, 03:32 AM
Watts Matter?
UK, South Yorkshire
Joined Feb 2011
465 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bloodline View Post
@Electriflier

I notice that you seem to have ailerons and elevators on your model, I have opted for Elevons on mine... Is there any particular reason for your choice?
Hi bloodline, good stuff, you're building a Vulcan? Is there a build log, info please?.
Elevons v elevator/aileron? My choice was not really too scientific. I remember carrying out lots of research before I started the build and to be fair, don't remember why I went the way I did. All I can say is that both vulcans that I've built we're configured this way and their flight characteristics are almost faultless. I see absolutely no reason why you can't go down the elevon route and wish you all the best in your build.
Old Jan 30, 2013, 07:27 AM
Avro Vulcan Enthusiast
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jun 2011
59 Posts
Quote:
Hi bloodline, good stuff, you're building a Vulcan? Is there a build log, info please?.
Elevons v elevator/aileron? My choice was not really too scientific. I remember carrying out lots of research before I started the build and to be fair, don't remember why I went the way I did. All I can say is that both vulcans that I've built we're configured this way and their flight characteristics are almost faultless. I see absolutely no reason why you can't go down the elevon route and wish you all the best in your build.
My build log can be found half way through Pontious's depron Vulcan thread ( http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...=532258&page=8 ), I didn't want to start a new thread as I was following the same plans as he was. Except I went for balsa as this is my first Vulcan.

My next one will be Depron.

I have kept the Elevon servos separate in the wing, so if Rich is right and the model is uncontrollable (or unpleasant to fly) I can swap to an elevator/aileron set up instead... That said, I prefer Elevons from a philosophical point of view
Old Feb 01, 2013, 12:58 AM
St.Catharines, Ontario
Joined Jan 2009
10,377 Posts
I think you'll be ok with elevons. my Eurofighter was easy to fly with them. you just had to be aware of the loss of energy during turns with the higher surface deflections. your Vulcan has lots of wing area though, so I doubt you'll have any issues.
Old Feb 01, 2013, 04:48 AM
Avro Vulcan Enthusiast
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jun 2011
59 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvEvolution7 View Post
I think you'll be ok with elevons. my Eurofighter was easy to fly with them. you just had to be aware of the loss of energy during turns with the higher surface deflections. your Vulcan has lots of wing area though, so I doubt you'll have any issues.
With this much wing area, the Vulcan is generating lift at pretty much all speeds and angles of attack

Also I drove through St Catherines (stopped off there for some food), many years ago on my way to Niagra. My ex girlfriend was from Toronto (though her family lived in Bolton to the north when I used to visit). Her grandparents lived in Hamilton and we stayed there quite a bit too

You should pop over to the UK for a visit and see XH558 is what might be her last season
Old Feb 02, 2013, 02:02 AM
St.Catharines, Ontario
Joined Jan 2009
10,377 Posts
I wish I could come home this year for a holiday. I doubt I'll be able to make it this year though. too busy at work, so highly unlikely I'll get time off. I'd love to see 558 fly again though. if that one is taken out of service, perhaps the Vulcan at Wellesbourne will be made airworthy. I know they do fast taxi with it, cause I've seen it several times in person.

you were here and you didn't stop in for coffee!? LOL. where did you eat in St.Kitts? lots of nice restaurants here.

Rich
Old Feb 02, 2013, 03:57 AM
Avro Vulcan Enthusiast
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jun 2011
59 Posts
Quote:
I wish I could come home this year for a holiday. I doubt I'll be able to make it this year though. too busy at work, so highly unlikely I'll get time off.
:-/

Quote:
I'd love to see 558 fly again though. if that one is taken out of service, perhaps the Vulcan at Wellesbourne will be made airworthy. I know they do fast taxi with it, cause I've seen it several times in person.
I was at XM655 in Wellesbourne last weekend, she is in great condition...but far from airworthy, despite being the youngest Vulcan left.

A bigger problem is lack of spares, she is a 301 Vulcan and all the spares are for the 201 Vulcans (like XH558 and XL426)... The CAA won't let an aircraft as big and complex as the a Vulcan fly without full support of the original manufacturers and they won't support the Vulcan without spares... Notably the engines

Realistically, even with 100 million investment, the only other Vulcan that could be made airworthy is XL426.

Quote:
you were here and you didn't stop in for coffee!? LOL. where did you eat in St.Kitts? lots of nice restaurants here.

Rich
It was almost ten years ago... I can't remember, but I do remember water/beach
Old Feb 02, 2013, 09:51 AM
St.Catharines, Ontario
Joined Jan 2009
10,377 Posts
aaaaaaaah, so you were in Port Dalhousie. I live right there.
Old Feb 02, 2013, 11:40 AM
Avro Vulcan Enthusiast
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jun 2011
59 Posts
Quote:
aaaaaaaah, so you were in Port Dalhousie. I live right there.
A quick look google maps, and yes!!! We had a meal down by the water there it was the summer of 2004, so it was in the middle of a heat wave and it was gorgeous
Old Feb 02, 2013, 09:49 PM
St.Catharines, Ontario
Joined Jan 2009
10,377 Posts
yeah, it gets pretty hot here in the summer. then it gets really cold in the winter. I've been here 26 years and I'll never get used to the winters. the cold and all the snow is just crazy.
Old Feb 03, 2013, 10:33 AM
Watts Matter?
UK, South Yorkshire
Joined Feb 2011
465 Posts
Worth pointing out here that there's another Depron Vulcan on the building boards.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...9#post24020108
Daz393 is building a 6 foot wingspan version. Good Luck Daz!
Old Feb 08, 2013, 05:39 PM
Depron Daz
United Kingdom, England, Basingstoke
Joined Feb 2012
1,114 Posts
Quote:
Worth pointing out here that there's another Depron Vulcan on the building boards.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...9#post24020108
Daz393 is building a 6 foot wingspan version. Good Luck Daz!
Thanks for the plug Roy!

Daz
Daz393 is offline Find More Posts by Daz393