HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 11, 2012, 05:17 PM
United States, NJ, Ocean View
Joined Oct 2011
49 Posts
maybe as simple as a high speed stall? or dumb thumbs? down wind turns can bite you at any time!!!!
Harold H is offline Find More Posts by Harold H
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 11, 2012, 08:24 PM
Joined Jun 2011
20 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harold H View Post
maybe as simple as a high speed stall? or dumb thumbs? down wind turns can bite you at any time!!!!
As I mentioned earlier, I am open to the possibility. I'm not a stranger to flying in a stiff breeze so I would be pretty shocked if that were indeed the cause. That means a gust of wind sent the plane into a banking, shallow decending, high-g turn, locking me out of any control input. I suppose, I've just never seen that before.

Can anyone comment on the esc settings I listed and whether or not they look appropriate for the Dynam 310?
F1nut is offline Find More Posts by F1nut
Old Jun 12, 2012, 03:30 AM
Letchworth, Great Britain (UK)
Joined Jul 2004
12,044 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by F1nut View Post
So on the Dynam 310 should the voltage cutoff on the esc's be set to high or low? ...
Voltage cutoff setting, high or low, doesn't stop one motor stopping before the other. I've read of some people who get simultaneous lvc cutoff on their twins, but I suspect they're the exceptions.

There are two ways to ensure simultaneous cutoff though: One is to always use a timer to make sure you land before the battery reaches lvc ; the other is to insert a Liposhield http://www.dimensionengineering.com/products/liposhield between your receiver and the Y-lead that's going to your ESCs, then program your ESCs' lvc to a very low value (or disable, if that's an option) so that the Liposhield will kick in and shut down both ESCs before either of the ESCs' lvcs kick in.
abenn is offline Find More Posts by abenn
Old Jun 12, 2012, 10:01 AM
United States, FL, The Villages
Joined Oct 2010
4,001 Posts
I'm thinking it was a stall. Flying into a stiff breeze and a turn downwind. The airspeed over the wing of the plane dropped and so did your wing. Did you add lots-o-power to try to recover? Probably not, your mind was not thinking stall, just a frantic what the . If you think you found questionable components after the crash, please remember that the sudden intro to terra firma may have damaged them. Hope you figure it out. Pass on any info to us, please!
Don
dkrhardy is offline Find More Posts by dkrhardy
Old Jun 12, 2012, 10:25 AM
Joined Oct 2011
49 Posts
as dkrhardy said i still think you stalled it . if you have been flying awile your reaction to most promblems is go to low power to soften your hitting the ground!! iknowido.
Old Jun 12, 2012, 10:33 AM
United States, FL, Lehigh Acres
Joined Aug 2011
865 Posts
my first thought is when you made the turn you were not moving fast enough down wind so had no air moving over the surfaces your plane was moving but at the same speed as the air it was in so you could not control the plane and you crashed..... or your raido equip is shiz.
xrx1113 is online now Find More Posts by xrx1113
Old Jun 12, 2012, 11:20 AM
United States, Mt, Libby
Joined Nov 2007
1,422 Posts
Dynam recommends running their motors on high timing.

Your crash sounds like a classic stall. You're flying downwind with gusty winds and then you describe having no control over the plane at all. I have purposely stalled my Grand Cruiser and it will immediately drop a wing and then there is no control of it until it builds enough speed to to start flying again..
I think one of the major factors of a crash after stalling (in RC planes) is the pilot tries to get the plane to respond to controls, usually by pulling up elevator (I was guilty of this myself) since it is after all headed to the ground. all this does is cause the stall to continue, the controls seem like they are useless, and the plane ends up crashing. Then due to the fact that the controls seem to do nothing they end up blaming the radio/electronics.
Herman Munster is offline Find More Posts by Herman Munster
Old Jun 12, 2012, 06:14 PM
Joined Jun 2011
20 Posts
Most of you seem to be pointing to a stall. And as much as I hate to think I was the victim of such a rookie mistake, I must eat my peas. Thanks for all your input.

As for the voltage cut off on the esc, should that be high or low?

Thanks again.
Old Jun 13, 2012, 01:16 AM
United States, Mt, Libby
Joined Nov 2007
1,422 Posts
I left mine at whatever it was originally set at. I fly all my planes by the timer and know how long I can fly each plane without reaching LVC. If you are depending on the LVC to tell you when your flight is over, your batteries aren't going to last as long and you're running the chance of losing your airplane to a crash.
Herman Munster is offline Find More Posts by Herman Munster
Old Jun 13, 2012, 07:56 AM
Joined Jun 2011
20 Posts
I always use a timer. I was just wondering what the LVC should be set at on the esc. Thanks again.
Old Jun 18, 2012, 03:05 PM
Joined Oct 2011
49 Posts
just had aflyer in our club do same thing with a st blaze hot liner down wind turned stall or snaped witchever same results lose control pull power pull up in it goes . known asdown wind stall or snap Harold H.
Old Jun 18, 2012, 03:14 PM
I fly 3-C Crash,Crunch,Crumble
USA, NM, Clovis
Joined Feb 2010
1,095 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanAlexander View Post
Check all of your radio gear, did you find the letters: F U T A B A on any of them? If not, that may be your issue. (going back under my bridge now)
A few years back, when I was flying pattern competition, those very letters cost me a new (4 flights) $600.00 plane Sold it and never looked back
Mr. foambuilder is online now Find More Posts by Mr. foambuilder