HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 07, 2003, 01:06 PM
Belgium-Ingooigem
Joined Oct 2003
18 Posts
Maidenflight 13m ASW22 (1/2 scale 520")

Finally it seems the weather will be good to fly the ASW22 with a wing span of 13.2 m=520" (indeed 1/2 scale). Of course , pictures and video snippets will be put online after this weekend. for anyone interested in such model please visit my site or contact me.
Cross the fingers !

http://users.pandora.be/laurent.dejonghe
FlyingFlorry is offline Find More Posts by FlyingFlorry
Last edited by FlyingFlorry; Nov 07, 2003 at 01:30 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 07, 2003, 01:40 PM
gunnison colorado
Joined Oct 2002
1,363 Posts
Nice looking glider! How do you transport it? Maybe your son can ride along for it's maiden flight. I look forward to seeing pics/video of your first flight with that big boy.
gunnisonflyer is offline Find More Posts by gunnisonflyer
Old Nov 07, 2003, 02:21 PM
Belgium-Ingooigem
Joined Oct 2003
18 Posts
the plane is transported using a boat trailer, the wings are in 4 parts, 2 inner wings with a 4m length, an 2 outer wings with 2.5m . Well , you know, I'm also curious to know how it flies.
Old Nov 07, 2003, 03:20 PM
Belgium-Ingooigem
Joined Oct 2003
18 Posts
Here is another nice shot with my son in the cockpit, I'm wondering why he is praying
Last edited by FlyingFlorry; Nov 08, 2003 at 09:20 AM.
Old Nov 07, 2003, 07:14 PM
gunnison colorado
Joined Oct 2002
1,363 Posts
That pic of your son is too funy. Good luck on the maiden, can't wait to hear the flight report! I am sure it will be a blast to fly.
Erik
gunnisonflyer is offline Find More Posts by gunnisonflyer
Old Nov 07, 2003, 08:56 PM
I have a moldie addiction
Savoy, Mass
Joined Sep 2003
861 Posts
How much does it weigh? How much did it cost? WOW!

I would love to see it fly.!
blivsey is offline Find More Posts by blivsey
Old Nov 08, 2003, 09:35 AM
Belgium-Ingooigem
Joined Oct 2003
18 Posts
The weight has been kept as low as possible, for this reason flaps were not used, and the wings are covered with Oracover.
The weight as is now is 28kg (62 lb) and this is extremely low for such span.
Price ? I was lucky and got this model for 3500$ because it is the prototype, the manufacturer has the second one but with a 1 part wing (yeap, indeed 6.5m ). I am now trying to convince him to use the mold for other planes , and also do the foam cutting of the wings. Together with a friend of mine who has an RCshop, it is very likely that we will be able to import parts of this plane from Germany.Soon more on my site , but since I am setting up a RC Soaring community on the Internet, much time is spent on this.
Anyway, I see a lot of traffic to my site from the US, you guys should come over here , good slopes, good wine, nice women...what do you want more !
Old Nov 08, 2003, 09:41 AM
Savoy, Mass
Joined Sep 2003
861 Posts
I'd put my camcorder in that and get some GREAT video!
Old Nov 08, 2003, 11:11 AM
Belgium-Ingooigem
Joined Oct 2003
18 Posts
It is our intention to put remote cameras on wingtips and inside . I can't wait to see the result
Old Nov 08, 2003, 01:16 PM
Savoy, Mass
Joined Sep 2003
861 Posts
It's gonna be incredable!
Old Nov 08, 2003, 02:18 PM
In PA near Elmira NY
Joined Apr 2002
685 Posts
62 pounds!! Is that all? Way too light for a plane like this, It could easily weigh 80 pounds and still be a floater. Hand launching would be a problem, but aerotowing a snap.
I think something like this deserves the full treatment of variable trailing edge (camber and reflex). No sense on skimping. Flaps would add so little weight.
I sent a private email to your supplier/builder listed on your web page. Please check it.

Great effort,

John Derstine

http://www.scalesoaring.net
scalesoar is offline Find More Posts by scalesoar
Old Nov 08, 2003, 03:06 PM
Belgium-Ingooigem
Joined Oct 2003
18 Posts
The weight was kept low for regulations. Don't know regulations in the US, but here (France, Belgium, Germany) we are allowed to fly planes below 65 pounds when we have permission from the owner of the site where we fly. Since I fly this plane on a private site, just great for me. You should be amazed what the flaps have added as weight , since the first wings had them, but then we were above the 65 pounds.
But you're right , this plane may easely weight even 100 pounds. When I compare with my ASH25 with a span of 8.30 it weights 41 lb. So, in comparison, the ASW is a feather.
But the only reason to kept it as low as possible were regulations and to be able to launch, since I only do slope soaring. I did some aerotowing before, but it's not really my stuff.
Old Nov 08, 2003, 03:15 PM
In PA near Elmira NY
Joined Apr 2002
685 Posts
We have a 55 pound limit here, but we can apply for a waiver from our AMA to fly heavier models. there are sailplanes here weighing 70 pounds. So already 65 is too heavy without a permit in the U.S. , So for the U.S. it makes sense to add the flaps.
John
scalesoar is offline Find More Posts by scalesoar
Old Nov 08, 2003, 03:49 PM
Slopey wings!!
Auckland, New Zealand
Joined Oct 2003
114 Posts
Why not just get a real glider and fly in it
DuCKy! is offline Find More Posts by DuCKy!
Old Nov 08, 2003, 05:38 PM
Less Whinning, More Flying
SF Bay Area, USA
Joined Feb 2003
1,740 Posts
Congratulations Laurent. A great accomplishment. Hopefully you can fly it on the slope someday (where it really belongs ) . Excellent web site and beautiful pictures. Really enjoyed the pics of your slope site. Best of luck on your first flight.

Sean
California, USA
Sailhigh is offline Find More Posts by Sailhigh