HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 10, 2012, 01:33 PM
Joined Jun 2012
13 Posts
Help!
Air hogs mini storm launcher trim problem

Hi guys, i badly need advice from someone regarding my air hogs mini storm launcher, both motors are working well but my mini keeps flying left no matter how i trim it, i have to hold the right controller for the mini to fly straight... if not it will keep turning left but the right and left motors are working, i tried a way by someone who posted it on youtube but it's still not working.

Mini Storm Launcher Problems (3 min 39 sec)

Do you guys think it is wise to bring it to a rc shop for repair ?
2014lstudent is offline Find More Posts by 2014lstudent
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 10, 2012, 03:44 PM
Power Wheels Guru
Southlake, TX
Joined Jan 2008
7,327 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2014lstudent View Post
Do you guys think it is wise to bring it to a rc shop for repair ?
An RC shop will just tell you to buy something better.

I bought 2 MSL's from Amazon for $12 each over 3 years ago. They haven't been made in years and there is nothing on them you can "fix".

Sell it in the classified for $10 to someone to modify it with a different motor/radio or to use it for parts and put the 10$ towards buying a Champ.
UNGN is offline Find More Posts by UNGN
Old Jun 10, 2012, 07:16 PM
Joined Jun 2012
13 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNGN View Post
An RC shop will just tell you to buy something better.

I bought 2 MSL's from Amazon for $12 each over 3 years ago. They haven't been made in years and there is nothing on them you can "fix".

Sell it in the classified for $10 to someone to modify it with a different motor/radio or to use it for parts and put the 10$ towards buying a Champ.
Thx for the reply, i dont think i will sell it, i can still play it but not as fun , do you have any idea which plane i can buy that looks like mini SL, something like a hydroplane or something,thx.
Old Jun 11, 2012, 02:02 AM
Tabriz, Iran
Joined Sep 2008
2,715 Posts
I think nitroplanes has some similar planes.

SS
starscream4002 is offline Find More Posts by starscream4002
Old Jun 11, 2012, 06:28 AM
Pilot, Co-pilot, Navagator
United States, AZ, Yuma
Joined Sep 2009
2,781 Posts
you probly need new motors. how much do you love it? you can get some new motors, but they run about 5 USD each for 7mm motors. you will need to pull them both off and measure the resistance with a Digital Multi Meter. a pair of Digital Calipers from Harbor Freight would be good to tell you what size the shaft is (there are a few different ones)

BSDMicrorc.com as well as homefly.com have the motors you need stateside. if you can wait, hobbyking has some, tho the shaft size might not be right. bidproduct has 10 for 16 dollars, but they take close to forever and some people dont like them.
nemoskull is offline Find More Posts by nemoskull
Old Jun 11, 2012, 07:25 AM
Joined Jun 2012
13 Posts
Anyway would it be possible that the motors/plane haven't been broken in ? Like what the boy suggested in the youtube video above ?
Old Jun 11, 2012, 08:28 AM
United States, AZ, Yuma
Joined Sep 2009
2,781 Posts
i dont know. how long have you had it? if its the newer coreless motors, no. not possible. if its the old style brushed motors, then i dont know. my knowledge of electric motors begins with the coreless 'pager' motors.
Old Jun 11, 2012, 08:56 AM
Joined Jun 2012
13 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nemoskull View Post
i dont know. how long have you had it? if its the newer coreless motors, no. not possible. if its the old style brushed motors, then i dont know. my knowledge of electric motors begins with the coreless 'pager' motors.
Hey i had it for 3 days only, how do i tell which is which for the motors ? I took a look at it, the surface of the motors are brushed.
Last edited by 2014lstudent; Jun 11, 2012 at 09:10 AM.
Old Jun 11, 2012, 10:33 AM
Kokomo, Indiana
Joined Jun 2008
886 Posts
Another thing to check is the balance of your two propellers. My Airhogs X-Twin Stunt Jet benefited by dynamically balancing both props with tiny pieces of thin clear tape. After balancing, one motor turned 23,300RPM and the other just over 23,000.

Better, but still not close enough for perfectly straight flying so I added a small piece of metal to the high wing-tip for level flying under power.
CorvetteC5 is offline Find More Posts by CorvetteC5
Old Jun 11, 2012, 11:25 AM
United States, AZ, Yuma
Joined Sep 2009
2,781 Posts
youve had it 3 days? bought it new or used?
Old Jun 11, 2012, 11:42 AM
Tabriz, Iran
Joined Sep 2008
2,715 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2014lstudent View Post
Hey i had it for 3 days only, how do i tell which is which for the motors ? I took a look at it, the surface of the motors are brushed.
The motors in the mini storm launcher are either M20s or N20s (I think N20s) not coreless 7mm motors.

SS
starscream4002 is offline Find More Posts by starscream4002
Old Jun 11, 2012, 12:20 PM
Joined Jun 2012
13 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorvetteC5 View Post
Another thing to check is the balance of your two propellers. My Airhogs X-Twin Stunt Jet benefited by dynamically balancing both props with tiny pieces of thin clear tape. After balancing, one motor turned 23,300RPM and the other just over 23,000.

Better, but still not close enough for perfectly straight flying so I added a small piece of metal to the high wing-tip for level flying under power.
So are you suggesting that i add some tape to the propeller that is spinning faster to balance it and make it fly straight ? And it's brand new mini SL, i just emailed air hogs, they told me that my battery might be damaged because they haven't been producing this model for 3 years, mine probably been sitting in a shop for years, they also told me to make sure that i get good quality batteries which i didn't, going to try it again.
Old Jun 11, 2012, 01:05 PM
Eugene, Oregon
Joined Apr 2009
1,979 Posts
Hi Student,
In order to get motors trimmed - need to get both motors to sound exactly the same pitch throughout the throttle range on tx. if batt is bad you may never sound perfect, if batt is fine and holds good charge than a motor is bad or prop bad out of balance. Probably motor out if you have to trim+hold to fly straight - my guess is it was made a few years ago so it could be both, or if motors sound alike - than it could be a thrust line issue with one motor angled wrong...
elvill is offline Find More Posts by elvill
Old Jun 11, 2012, 03:41 PM
United States, AZ, Yuma
Joined Sep 2009
2,781 Posts
how much do you love it? easyest thing is to buy a new DSM2 rx with alieron/throttle mix in the rx and built in twins esc.... its been done before to airhogs. then get some 7mm coreless motors and convert the whold thing. unlimted range.

try getting a new battery. id say get a pz style batt and connector and solder that up if you can. (you can also get away with wrapping the wires real tight and using heat shrink tubing or even tape to hold in place. not my first choice tho.....
Old Jun 11, 2012, 06:08 PM
Power Wheels Guru
Southlake, TX
Joined Jan 2008
7,327 Posts
I have been tinkering with model planes for nearly 40 years and have RX's, ESC's, bricks, motors, and 4 real TX's, including a DX8 and a DX7... and I have two mini storm Launchers I have tried to make work for years... and I recommend you buy a Champ.

The MSL isn't a good plane and it isn't a good boat... in fact, it really doesn't do anything well. Even when flying perfect, you get 2 minutes of semi controlled flight with the possibility of performing a flipping roll that loses 20 ft of altitude.

If you try to make it fly right, with a better TX, RX ESC and Motors, you will easily have $150 in it and it still may not fly properly.

None of the 1S differential thrust bricks on the market have ESC's that will support the MSL's large motors and out of balance props.

One word: Champ.
UNGN is offline Find More Posts by UNGN