HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 12, 2012, 09:11 PM
United States, TN, Blountville
Joined Oct 2002
3,551 Posts
Does StMartin use tracing paper to simulate rib tape? It is a neat effect.
RAFster is offline Find More Posts by RAFster
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 12, 2012, 09:18 PM
New Boston, Texas, United States
Joined Jan 2003
2,653 Posts
Thanks Peter. I had not thought of masking tape. May have to try that next time.

Charlie, I am surprised you have never tried tapes. To me, they add a lot to the model. At least on the large scale models that I have seen.

Spent some time reading Maltones build of the Brisfit and got some ideas on how to do the fuse stitching.

Spent most of the afternoon trying to decide on how I am going to run the aileron servo wire leads from the top wing into the fuse. Need to decide on this before moving forward to cover the top wing. I am open for suggestions.

Picked up some silver craft paint the other day that looks like it might work well. The lower wings and the tailfeathers are ready for paint now.

Last week, I cobbled together one of those profile foamy SEFF combat planes from some FFF that I bought for lamination patterns. The plane I built was the Zero. I have flown it several times and it is a heck of a lot of fun for not much money. Good for keeping your thumbs nimble.

Jim
JIMA is offline Find More Posts by JIMA
Old Aug 12, 2012, 09:20 PM
Joined Jan 2003
2,653 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RAFster View Post
Does StMartin use tracing paper to simulate rib tape? It is a neat effect.
That is where I got the idea. He did a thread some time back about detailing a model. However, his application method is a little different than mine.

Jim
Old Aug 13, 2012, 07:52 PM
What's 3D?
Australia, WA, Ellenbrook
Joined Feb 2008
3,316 Posts
she is coming along beautifully mate, your rib tapes look top notch! i am at present shareing your joy of polyspan, beautiful to work with, goes so nicely around wingtips as well.

Cheers
Craig
trumps is offline Find More Posts by trumps
Old Aug 16, 2012, 12:57 AM
United States, TN, Blountville
Joined Oct 2002
3,551 Posts
You mentioned you were using old Guillows silkspan, I was never aware of them using silkspan in their kits, only tissue.
Plane looks nice!
RAFster is offline Find More Posts by RAFster
Old Aug 18, 2012, 08:09 AM
Joined Jan 2003
2,653 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RAFster View Post
You mentioned you were using old Guillows silkspan, I was never aware of them using silkspan in their kits, only tissue.
Plane looks nice!
Thanks for the compliment.

I have been told that the tissue in the old Guilloos kits is silkspan. I took their (keeping my source anonymous) word for it as I have never actually bought any silkspan. Make a really nice smooth finish.

Jim
Old Aug 18, 2012, 11:28 AM
Retired and Lovin' it!
United States, KY, Sturgis
Joined Jul 2007
2,525 Posts
I think that the tissue in the Guillows kits is silkspan. I can't tell any difference between it and silkspan that I have ordered as 'silkspan'. It is, I think, different from 'Jap tissue' which is lighter. Incidentally there are different weights of silkspan.

Tony
tpfing is offline Find More Posts by tpfing
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: North Las Vegas 1971
Old Aug 18, 2012, 01:03 PM
Übung macht den Meister..
United States, OR, Fairview
Joined Jul 2006
3,019 Posts
As near as I can recall (having cut my modeling teeth on Guillow, Comet, Sterling, et al) Comet invariably included tissue in their kits, while Guillow would include tissue in the smaller kits (like the 500 & 900 series, for example), and the larger kits might include silkspan, as I vaguely recall my older brother's 301 Aeronca had. I recall a few Sterling kits including silkspan for the larger kits as well.

Just adding a bit more pointless drivel to the thread, I guess!

James
Deuce is online now Find More Posts by Deuce
Old Aug 18, 2012, 04:17 PM
Joined Feb 2006
97 Posts
James is correct. I built a lot of Guillows, Sterling , and Comet kits in the 1970's. The larger Guillows and Sterling kits all had silkspan . The smaller Guillows kits had colored tissue, though usually not the correct color for the build.

Jim
CV440pilot is offline Find More Posts by CV440pilot
Old Aug 19, 2012, 08:26 AM
Joined Jan 2003
2,653 Posts
I did not get much done during the week. Working late, club meetings, etc. I did get started on wiring the servos in the top wing. Hope to get that finished today.

Made a withdrawal at my bank's ATM yesterday and the receipt had a coupon on the back for 40% off any item at Hobby Lobby. Soooo, I made a trip over and found a new laser cut Guillows P-40. Cost me less than $25.00 after the coupon. What a deal. The laser cutting and the wood look fantastic. Now I just need to find the time to build it. So many planes already started that need finishing first.

Jim
Old Aug 26, 2012, 05:42 PM
Joined Jan 2003
2,653 Posts
Been a while since my last post. Just wanted to drop a note. I am still plugging away. Spent all week and this weekend finishing up the rib tapes on the top wing and ailerons. Pretty repetitive and boring work. Had to stop and take frequent RCGroup breaks. Anyway, all the rib tapes are done. Just need one more coat of lacquer on the top wing and ailerons and they will be ready for paint. Next will be to finish detailing the fuse. Then I can paint, decal, and assemble. And maybe fly. Speaking of which, I see a Zero in my shop that might need a toss.

Not much progress to take pics of. Maybe next week.

Jim
Old Aug 26, 2012, 06:04 PM
I eat glue
Canada, NS, Yarmouth
Joined Jul 2006
3,474 Posts
No sweat, I'm in the same boat with my Rake Pup. I just have to finish the fuse and it's on to covering.
baldguy is online now Find More Posts by baldguy
Old Sep 02, 2012, 01:26 PM
Joined Jan 2003
2,653 Posts
Some progress. All the different pieces are covered. The wings and tail feathers have all their rib tapes done. I have the wood fairings on the UC strut wires and the rear cabane strut wires. Now have spackle drying on the strut covers where the wires show. After it dries and is sanded smooth, I will put silkspan on them to seal and make the attachment stronger. Need to do this, and make the headrest then I can paint.

Jim
Old Sep 02, 2012, 02:14 PM
What's 3D?
Australia, WA, Ellenbrook
Joined Feb 2008
3,316 Posts
Definately worth the effort mate, your tapes look great, as does the strut cladding, very neat work!

Cheers
Craig
trumps is offline Find More Posts by trumps