HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 07, 2012, 07:17 PM
New Boston, Texas, United States
Joined Jan 2003
2,652 Posts
Finished up the sheeting. Cowl is roughed out. Motor has been mounted. And the cutouts in the cheeks have been made for the lower wings. Last time I downloaded my camera the comp said I was up to 156 pics. Is that a little overload?

I am about to run out of parts. Still need to build the tailfeathers then I will be ready for covering and finishing. Plan is to cover the balsa sheeted fuse with silkspan and lacquer. Then the rest will get polyspan.

What I need at this point are some good walkaround pics so that I can start thinking about the detailing. Does anyone have any?

Thanks
Jim
JIMA is online now Find More Posts by JIMA
Old Jul 07, 2012, 07:55 PM
Neophyte hacker
Albuquerque, NM USA
Joined Sep 2003
15,739 Posts
Make sure the motor mount screws go all the way through the firewall.

charlie
portablevcb is offline Find More Posts by portablevcb
Old Jul 07, 2012, 07:58 PM
Joined Jan 2003
2,652 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by portablevcb View Post
Make sure the motor mount screws go all the way through the firewall.

charlie
Thanks Charlie. I thought that was a good idea. Consider it done.

Jim
Old Jul 07, 2012, 09:59 PM
What's 3D?
Australia, WA, Ellenbrook
Joined Feb 2008
3,316 Posts
lovely neat build, great skills!
trumps is offline Find More Posts by trumps
Old Jul 07, 2012, 10:09 PM
United States, TN, Blountville
Joined Oct 2002
3,551 Posts
You looking for movie prop planes, replicas or originals in museums?
Or, shudder, built plastic kits?
RAFster is offline Find More Posts by RAFster
Old Jul 08, 2012, 04:34 AM
Norfolk, England
Joined Sep 2001
7,719 Posts
Unless something has gone wrong between me sending the files to Charlie and Jim getting the parts, the cowl ring holes should line up. I assembled the ones straight from the cut file and they work out fine. You just have to turn one over, like I did when I nested it on the sheet.
The tabs on these parts aren't central, so you must get them the right way round for it to work as intended. Why I suggest assembling them over the plan, it will show when you have it right.

On the subject of motor mounting, I actually show the motor angled, rather than the mount. Either way works fine, but the further back you start the thrust angles, the further off centre the shaft will end up in the cowl - unless you allow for it.

I only mention these points as a guide to future builders. Sometimes it's neccessary to turn parts over to fit them onto the sheets, so don't take it for granted that they fit just as they come out of the sheet.

Pete
PETERRAKE is offline Find More Posts by PETERRAKE
Old Jul 08, 2012, 05:20 AM
S/E Michigan
Joined Jun 2010
1,650 Posts
Enjoying this very much!
phillip57 is offline Find More Posts by phillip57
Old Jul 08, 2012, 07:22 AM
Joined Jan 2003
2,652 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PETERRAKE View Post
Unless something has gone wrong between me sending the files to Charlie and Jim getting the parts, the cowl ring holes should line up. I assembled the ones straight from the cut file and they work out fine. You just have to turn one over, like I did when I nested it on the sheet.
The tabs on these parts aren't central, so you must get them the right way round for it to work as intended. Why I suggest assembling them over the plan, it will show when you have it right.

On the subject of motor mounting, I actually show the motor angled, rather than the mount. Either way works fine, but the further back you start the thrust angles, the further off centre the shaft will end up in the cowl - unless you allow for it.

I only mention these points as a guide to future builders. Sometimes it's neccessary to turn parts over to fit them onto the sheets, so don't take it for granted that they fit just as they come out of the sheet.

Pete

Pete,

Since I am an inexperienced kit builder, I did not consider that the parts might have an up and a down. If I had assembled them over the plans I probably would have figured it out. I stand corrected. At least I can serve as a guinea pig on what not to do.

The main reason I did not assemble them over the plans is because I printed my own plans on my regular size printer using adobe and tiling. As a result it has been difficult to tape them together accurately without taking great care. I got lazy and did not do it for the cowling. Next time I will definitley get the plans printed on one sheet from somewhere.

I did offset the motor a little to compensate for the motor mount. Actually happened by accident as I did not get it quite cetered but ended up with it in the right place. As they say, "Even a blind squirrel finds a nut every now and then".

Jim
Old Jul 08, 2012, 07:24 AM
Joined Jan 2003
2,652 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RAFster View Post
You looking for movie prop planes, replicas or originals in museums?
Or, shudder, built plastic kits?
Pictures of any would be great. I am trying to duplicate the plane flown by Rawlings in "The Flyboys".

Thanks
JIm
Old Jul 08, 2012, 07:26 AM
Joined Jan 2003
2,652 Posts
Thanks for all the compliments guys. They are really appreciated. The compliments and suggestions are part of what makes posting building threads worthwhile. Works as a good incentive to keep going

Jim
Old Jul 08, 2012, 07:38 AM
Norfolk, England
Joined Sep 2001
7,719 Posts
A simple way to ensure the shaft centres is to cut a disc that fits the cowl opening, with a shaft size hole in the centre. Fit the motor to the mount in whatever way appeals and fit the disc to the shaft, then glue the mount to the firewall.

If I ever need to have a part printed in one piece, or a specific section of plan, I view the file at around 75% select current view in the print menu and move things around until I get just the part I want in the preview. THEN print. It also works well if you'll be cutting parts from the plan (rather than cheating with laser cut parts).

The one problem with only printing sections of the plan is that you often miss notes that are important.

Pete
PETERRAKE is offline Find More Posts by PETERRAKE
Old Jul 08, 2012, 07:51 AM
Joined Jan 2003
2,652 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PETERRAKE View Post
A simple way to ensure the shaft centres is to cut a disc that fits the cowl opening, with a shaft size hole in the centre. Fit the motor to the mount in whatever way appeals and fit the disc to the shaft, then glue the mount to the firewall.

If I ever need to have a part printed in one piece, or a specific section of plan, I view the file at around 75% select current view in the print menu and move things around until I get just the part I want in the preview. THEN print. It also works well if you'll be cutting parts from the plan (rather than cheating with laser cut parts).

The one problem with only printing sections of the plan is that you often miss notes that are important.

Pete

I cant seem to get adobe to allow me to see more than one page at a time much less allow me to move anything. I must be doing something wrong. It would be very helpful to be able to print just the wires for the undercarriage and the stabilizer.

Jim