HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 17, 2012, 12:18 PM
Norfolk, England
Joined Sep 2001
7,719 Posts
Jim,
Now you have two choices. 1) curve in the sides to the tail, 2) crack the longerons to keep the straight taper to the tail. Nieuport sides don't curve in.
Pre-curving/laminating the bottom longeron would have avoided this since it's likely to be a weak spot where the longerons are cracked through.

Pete
PETERRAKE is online now Find More Posts by PETERRAKE
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 17, 2012, 03:33 PM
United States, CA, Ukiah
Joined Dec 2011
793 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JIMA View Post
Thinking back, I think I might have bought one from him years ago for my Earl Stahl Bf 109 conversion. 1/12 Luftwaffe pilot. It is a very good pilot.

Also wanted to ask if anyone knows where to get some 1/8 Vickers or Lewis guns?

Jim
Jim,

Maxford makes some nice 1/8 Vickers mg's as well as a nice 1/8 pilot. The set of guns are only like $8. They have a 40in Nieuport 28 and Albatros D III that will have what you are looking for. I have the Albatros and the detail of the guns/engine/pilot and so on are quite nice.

Mendo
Mendo
Mendo is offline Find More Posts by Mendo
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Mendo; Jun 17, 2012 at 03:52 PM.
Old Jun 17, 2012, 04:37 PM
New Boston, Texas, United States
Joined Jan 2003
2,652 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PETERRAKE View Post
Jim,
Now you have two choices. 1) curve in the sides to the tail, 2) crack the longerons to keep the straight taper to the tail. Nieuport sides don't curve in.
Pre-curving/laminating the bottom longeron would have avoided this since it's likely to be a weak spot where the longerons are cracked through.

Pete
or 3) cut the longerons off the front sections and do it the way you designed it. Which is what I did. You were right and I did not think about having a curved fuselage. Anyway, front and rear have been rejoined after having been completed separately.

Did you intend for the top deck to be sheeted all the way to the stabilizer? That is the way it looks on the plan.

Need to work out battery and motor placement and add the rear cabane strut wire next before sheeting can begin.

Pics will have to wait. Have a church event with my youngest tonight.

Jim
JIMA is online now Find More Posts by JIMA
Old Jun 17, 2012, 06:01 PM
Neophyte hacker
Albuquerque, NM USA
Joined Sep 2003
15,737 Posts
Jim,

We don't cut the props anymore. Too many people were obviously using them in more stressing conditions. They were ideal for less than 100W, but, even then I considered them a bit on the thin side. So, no more. Not for anyone. I dumped all the cut files as well.

The silver on my M-S AI is from the craft paints. Just silver. And brushed on. It didn't spray well. Then spray with an overcoat of Krylon matte clear. (Craft store acrylic paints are not waterproof. A raindrops on them will leave watermarks. Same with morning dew.)
portablevcb is offline Find More Posts by portablevcb
Old Jun 17, 2012, 06:40 PM
Norfolk, England
Joined Sep 2001
7,719 Posts
Yep, sheeted all the way to the tailplane.
Old Jun 17, 2012, 08:44 PM
Joined Jan 2003
2,652 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by portablevcb View Post
Jim,

We don't cut the props anymore. Too many people were obviously using them in more stressing conditions. They were ideal for less than 100W, but, even then I considered them a bit on the thin side. So, no more. Not for anyone. I dumped all the cut files as well.

The silver on my M-S AI is from the craft paints. Just silver. And brushed on. It didn't spray well. Then spray with an overcoat of Krylon matte clear. (Craft store acrylic paints are not waterproof. A raindrops on them will leave watermarks. Same with morning dew.)
I have used craft acrylic paint a lot in an airbrush. Key is to thin it with windex. About 50/50 and spray in very thin coats. It will dry quickly. I found that I could spray a coat then blow dry with my heat gun with the heat off, then spray, then blow dry, etc. 5-6 coats usually do the job. Used the same setup with latex paint too.

Sounds like the props were dangerous in the wrong hands. That is a shame as they really looked good. The N17 will definitely be going beyond the 100w level.

Jim
Old Jun 17, 2012, 08:44 PM
Joined Jan 2003
2,652 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PETERRAKE View Post
Yep, sheeted all the way to the tailplane.
Thanks.
Old Jun 17, 2012, 09:06 PM
Neophyte hacker
Albuquerque, NM USA
Joined Sep 2003
15,737 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JIMA View Post
I have used craft acrylic paint a lot in an airbrush. Key is to thin it with windex. About 50/50 and spray in very thin coats. It will dry quickly. I found that I could spray a coat then blow dry with my heat gun with the heat off, then spray, then blow dry, etc. 5-6 coats usually do the job. Used the same setup with latex paint too.

Sounds like the props were dangerous in the wrong hands. That is a shame as they really looked good. The N17 will definitely be going beyond the 100w level.

Jim
Jim,

Have sprayed more than my share of airplanes with craft paints. The silver was just not very good. Have had that trouble with metallic paints before.

Thinning I have used windex, water with detergent and a water/alcohol mix with detergent. All about the same results so I usually just use water with detergent.

charlie
portablevcb is offline Find More Posts by portablevcb
Old Jun 18, 2012, 02:04 AM
Norfolk, England
Joined Sep 2001
7,719 Posts
Jim,
Although it doesn't really matter because you can't get the props, this one shouldn't need to go over 100 watts by a great deal - if at all. Take care over the paintwork and under 2 lb flying weight should be easily possible.

Pete
Old Jun 19, 2012, 08:12 PM
Joined Jan 2003
2,652 Posts
I grabbed a pic of the cowling from my Camel that I am building. I picked up the idea of using this paint, Krylon Metallic Nickel Satin, from Fuzz St. Martin to simulate bare metal on my Hellcat project. Take a look and see if it might work for the overall Silver on the N17. It sprayed very well.

Jim
Old Jun 24, 2012, 09:51 AM
Joined Jan 2003
2,652 Posts
Here is the weeks progress. Front and rear of the fuse joined. I did not realize I had taken so many pics this week until I uploaded to my comp this am.

I did end up cutting the rear fuse longerons from the front half and then assembling them separately. The curve in the bottom of the of the rear longeron turned out to be a none issue.

Jim
Old Jun 30, 2012, 10:57 AM
What's 3D?
Australia, WA, Ellenbrook
Joined Feb 2008
3,316 Posts
looking great bud! you can still get Vinto's prop kits from here by the looks of it,
http://www.replikit.com/replikit2010...id=1&TreeId=30
i stumbled across the site a few weeks back and bookmarked it, i have one of his 11.4 x 11.6 mahogany scimitar props on one of Peters 40'' pups, still the original one after more than 200 flights and no problems though the power system is only producing just a bee's whatsit over 100W and she flys on little more than 50W/lb. worth a look at even if only as a display prop.

Cheers
Craig
trumps is offline Find More Posts by trumps