Old Jun 14, 2012, 07:26 AM
Veni, Vidi, Napi
Cumming, GA
Joined Sep 2004
477 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JIMA View Post
Does he have any WW1 1/8 size pilots?
Check out Pete's Pilots on eBay. He's a great guy, a great seller and his pilots are very good. I've bought numerous pilots from him.

Tom
catrancher is online now Find More Posts by catrancher
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 14, 2012, 07:33 PM
New Boston, Texas, United States
Joined Jan 2003
2,689 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by catrancher View Post
Check out Pete's Pilots on eBay. He's a great guy, a great seller and his pilots are very good. I've bought numerous pilots from him.

Tom
Thinking back, I think I might have bought one from him years ago for my Earl Stahl Bf 109 conversion. 1/12 Luftwaffe pilot. It is a very good pilot.

Also wanted to ask if anyone knows where to get some 1/8 Vickers or Lewis guns?

Jim
JIMA is offline Find More Posts by JIMA
Old Jun 15, 2012, 11:19 PM
Perth WA
Joined Feb 2007
1,041 Posts
Can vouch for the Pete's Pilots - example below to 1/8th scale.
Machine guns in same scale from here:
http://wrightbrothersrc.com/products/wwi.htm
Modelholic is offline Find More Posts by Modelholic
Old Jun 16, 2012, 08:54 AM
Joined Jan 2003
2,689 Posts
Thanks.

Nice looking MG kits. Too bad they dont have a Vickers gun. Really need one of those for sure.

Jim
Old Jun 16, 2012, 10:37 AM
Perth WA
Joined Feb 2007
1,041 Posts
But they do have the Lewis!
Modelholic is offline Find More Posts by Modelholic
Old Jun 16, 2012, 10:47 AM
Joined Jan 2003
2,689 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Modelholic View Post
But they do have the Lewis!
Very true. And a mighty nice looking one too.

Jim
Old Jun 16, 2012, 11:52 AM
United States, TN, Blountville
Joined Oct 2002
3,584 Posts
AerodromeRC has a 1/9 scale laser cut kit for the Vickers guns. $7 and shipping and they arrive on your door. He gives away the method of construction posting a copyrighted drawing of the plans page that spells everything out in stock used to construct and the paper printed tube of the mg barrel cooling sleeve. Simple design, good results...
David
RAFster is offline Find More Posts by RAFster
Old Jun 16, 2012, 12:23 PM
United States, TN, Blountville
Joined Oct 2002
3,584 Posts
Also, aerodromeRC has a Nieuport 17bis prototype build and the guy who built it did a knockout job of detail and paint. He has the Vickers and a Lewis on the top wing and the Lewis is SUPER detailed and looks fabulous. You really should go check out the photos!
There are some elements of the other company's Lewis gun drum that looks better but all the details on the gun and mount and firing cables push the prototype build way up there in visual appeal. FWIW, David
RAFster is offline Find More Posts by RAFster
Old Jun 16, 2012, 02:52 PM
Senile Member
Moab, Utah, USA
Joined Apr 2003
6,241 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JIMA View Post
Thanks.

Nice looking MG kits. Too bad they dont have a Vickers gun. Really need one of those for sure.

Jim
The Spandau and the Vickers machine guns are both derived from the earlier Maxim machine gun. A Spandau kit with a few simple mods to the breech and a different cooling jacket on the barrel could easily pass for a Vickers.

Larry
Lnagel is online now Find More Posts by Lnagel
Old Jun 17, 2012, 08:49 AM
Joined Jan 2003
2,689 Posts
While I have "The Blue Max" playing on the DVD player, I thought I would update the build. During the week I built the lower wings. They are about as simple as they come. I did make one big goof, I forgot to add the dihedral to the root rib when I glued it in. So I fixed that with a my sanding disc.

Yesterday I built one side of the fuse. Peter's plans call for the fuse to be built in two sections, front box and rear stringers. I decided to make them full sides and will glued the two sides together in one piece. The reason I decided to do this is because the bottom longeron has a very distinct curve in the first bay. I did not think I could duplicate this without it being attached to the front box. It should be fairly easy to attach the two sides together later as the top is flat from front to back. Hopefully what I am describing will be easier to understand int the pictures.

Just reached that part in the movie where our dark hero meets Ursula Andress. She sure was a hottie in her day.

Jim
Old Jun 17, 2012, 10:33 AM
Albuquerque
Joined Sep 2006
157 Posts
following
juanito is offline Find More Posts by juanito
Old Jun 17, 2012, 11:08 AM
Neophyte hacker
Albuquerque, NM USA
Joined Sep 2003
15,835 Posts
When faced with curved longerons like those I like to laminate them. Two 1/16x1/8 make a nice strong part and the glued lams hold their shape well. I have also been known to add an extra lamination which then fits behind the balsa sheet for reinforcement of the joint.

charlie
portablevcb is offline Find More Posts by portablevcb
Old Jun 17, 2012, 11:14 AM
Joined Jan 2003
2,689 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by portablevcb View Post
When faced with curved longerons like those I like to laminate them. Two 1/16x1/8 make a nice strong part and the glued lams hold their shape well. I have also been known to add an extra lamination which then fits behind the balsa sheet for reinforcement of the joint.

charlie
I agree Charlie. If the top longeron had not been straight I would have done it that way. I just thought it would be easier this way.

I will be making the rudder from laminations.

Jim
Old Jun 17, 2012, 11:17 AM
Joined Jan 2003
2,689 Posts
Charlie,

I searched your web site but could not find Vint's propeller kits. I thought you were making them. Also, I have been reading your MS A1 thread this morning and was wondering where you got your paint from. I did some shopping yesterday for some silver paint chips and could not find any. I was planning on using silver latex paint. However, Krylon Metallic Nickel that I sprayed the cowl on my Camel looks like it may work.

Jim