HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 12, 2012, 07:54 PM
Wanted for breaking OHM's law
United States, MI, Canton
Joined Sep 2002
1,729 Posts
Jim,

Nice build of a great subject, I'll be watching your build.

I've always loved the 17.

Denny
Dennis Sumner is offline Find More Posts by Dennis Sumner
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: RC Throw Gauge
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 12, 2012, 09:11 PM
United States, TN, Blountville
Joined Oct 2002
3,643 Posts
So, brazed wire superstructure with a wood gondola and Silver Silkspan for a covering with sealed with lacquer.
RAFster is offline Find More Posts by RAFster
Old Jun 12, 2012, 10:27 PM
New Boston, Texas, United States
Joined Jan 2003
2,736 Posts
Pete,

Been working on the bottom wings. The root rib does not show any slant on the plans. Does the N17 have any dihedral on the bottom wings? I thought that it did similar to the wings on a Camel.

Jim
JIMA is offline Find More Posts by JIMA
Old Jun 12, 2012, 10:37 PM
Joined Jan 2003
2,736 Posts
Just googled up Callie Graphics and lo and behold, they already have a set of markings for Rawlings' N17 from Flyboys. That was just the one I was thinking of doing. I have never used their stuff before. What are they made from and will they look right on painted fabric?

Thanks
Jim
Old Jun 12, 2012, 11:18 PM
United States, MI, Kalamazoo
Joined Aug 2009
224 Posts
Jim
Callies markings are very thin vinyl. While they don't look painted on from up close, they are fantastic quality. I am using them on a Sopwith Triplane and I think they look great.
Taylor
cobra16 is offline Find More Posts by cobra16
Old Jun 13, 2012, 12:34 AM
Senile Member
Moab, Utah, USA
Joined Apr 2003
6,284 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by baldguy View Post
Aw come on, a Zepplin filled with helium and electric motors-real cool
But helium is an inert gas that will not burn. Where's the fun in that?

Larry
Lnagel is offline Find More Posts by Lnagel
Old Jun 13, 2012, 01:57 AM
Joined Oct 2002
3,643 Posts
Well, inhaling it and talking like you are a Munchkin can be fun...
Figured it it was going down in flames I would use a wire structure I could recover...

You know with flying doghouses and lawnmowers maybe I was overthinking the build...another approach wouldn't be scale but could be more whimsical...flat cross section 2 axis fuse design like fanfold or flat plate designs... hmmmm
Old Jun 13, 2012, 02:48 AM
Norfolk, England
Joined Sep 2001
7,789 Posts
Oh dear, what have I started?

Jim,
Yes, the ribs should lean in. That's why the amount of dihedral is marked on the plan, so you can pack up the wing before fitting the root rib.

Pete
PETERRAKE is online now Find More Posts by PETERRAKE
Old Jun 13, 2012, 10:27 AM
Neophyte hacker
Albuquerque, NM USA
Joined Sep 2003
15,927 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JIMA View Post
Just googled up Callie Graphics and lo and behold, they already have a set of markings for Rawlings' N17 from Flyboys. That was just the one I was thinking of doing. I have never used their stuff before. What are they made from and will they look right on painted fabric?

Thanks
Jim
Callie's N17 graphics were mde for the Pat Tritle version (42") so should work fine.

They adhere to just about any surface, but, if you apply over paint be very careful as the backing will pull up all but the toughest paint.

After applying i spray over them with some matte clear Krylon.

Charlie
portablevcb is offline Find More Posts by portablevcb
Old Jun 13, 2012, 08:13 PM
Joined Jan 2003
2,736 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PETERRAKE View Post
Oh dear, what have I started?

Jim,
Yes, the ribs should lean in. That's why the amount of dihedral is marked on the plan, so you can pack up the wing before fitting the root rib.

Pete
Just took another look at the plans and you are right as always. The plans do say to have 1/2" dihedral at the strut rib but there are not any notes about leaning in the root rib.

So I goofed. Too late for me now anyway as I have already glued them in at 90 degrees and added the 1/16 sheeting. But I can sand the angle in to the root rib with my bench sander. The two ribs on the end, R1 and R2 are so short it would be hard to glue the rib at an angle anyway.

Jim
Old Jun 13, 2012, 08:15 PM
Joined Jan 2003
2,736 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by portablevcb View Post
Callie's N17 graphics were mde for the Pat Tritle version (42") so should work fine.

They adhere to just about any surface, but, if you apply over paint be very careful as the backing will pull up all but the toughest paint.

After applying i spray over them with some matte clear Krylon.

Charlie
Charlie,

Callie offers them in several different sizes including 1/8 scale. Do you think the 1/8 scale would be the correct ones to order for this model?

Also, I have used several sets of Major Decals brand decals from Tower Hobbies and they are described as pressure sensitive peel and stick decals. They have worked very well. Are Callie's decals similar?

Thanks
JIm
Old Jun 13, 2012, 09:38 PM
Neophyte hacker
Albuquerque, NM USA
Joined Sep 2003
15,927 Posts
Callie's are "peel and stick" with a little difference. She puts on a 'backing' (really it's on the top of the graphic) to hold everything in place.

You peel off the backing, apply some windex and slide into position. Squeegee out most of the liquid, then peel off the 'top', leaving the graphic on the plane. Then squeegee again to set everything in place. (PS, I'd get a couple of extra graphics to practice with before using the ones on your plane, there is kind of a 'feel' for it)

40" is 1/8 scale, so yes.

charlie
Old Jun 13, 2012, 09:55 PM
Joined Jan 2003
2,736 Posts
Never used windex but I did always put water with dish liquid on the model before applying the decals to aid in locating them. Then squeegee out the water. Callie's sounds a lot like the decal designs we use in the automobile industry. The top backing is used to space out a group of design elements like lettering so that the spacing stays even when applied to the vehicle.

Now I need to locate a pilot. What is Sparky's website? Does he have any WW1 1/8 size pilots?

Jim
Old Jun 13, 2012, 10:19 PM
Neophyte hacker
Albuquerque, NM USA
Joined Sep 2003
15,927 Posts
Jim,

It is exactly like the automotive stuff.

Sparky does, but, you have to figure it out on your own. His rule is to determine the width of the pilot you need and then pick from what he has. Can't remember what I used in the past.

charlie
Old Jun 13, 2012, 10:46 PM
Joined Oct 2002
3,643 Posts
The tape is a carrier for the graphics like Charlie explained...it is called transfer tape, at least the vinyl sign shops I've dealt with called it that. Callie does great work, I had her make me a markings set for a 30 in Hurricane by Adrian Brittan, RIP. They turned out great and were for Czech ace "Night Reaper" J-XE code...