HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 22, 2012, 09:52 AM
New Boston, Texas, United States
Joined Jan 2003
2,542 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PETERRAKE View Post
Jim,
Congratulations mate, a nice looking model that appears to have been worth persevering with.

Pete
Thanks Pete. Well worth it. I did forget to mention that I had about 30% aileron to rudder mix that helped a lot in the turns.

The kit is easy to build and all the parts fit perfectly. I only have two points to make on it.

First, since all the servos have the mounting holes precut, make sure the servos you intend to use will fit before installing. Especially in the wing ribs. Once the ribs are installed it would be almost impossible to redo. I used some inexpensive Chinese servos and they did not fit and I am glad I had them at the beginning to make the modifications.

Second, not a big deal but the cable exits for the pull/pull system for the rudder and elevators are not included in the kit. However, there are some rib plates included in the kit for the pull/pull cables to pass through the stabilizer. These pieces are easy to make.

Otherwise the kit was a joy to build. Just have to be real careful about getting the lower wing incidence correct at the cabane struts. Not a big deal for a normal lower wing with two cabane struts as the lower wing incidence is set by the struts. On the N17 both cabane struts come together to form only one attachment point on the lower wing and it is easy to get the lower wing incidence off at this point.

Here are some pics after the rebuild and just before the maiden flight and some with the builder/pilot after the flight.

Jim
JIMA is online now Find More Posts by JIMA
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 22, 2012, 09:52 AM
Retired and Lovin' it!
United States, KY, Sturgis
Joined Jul 2007
2,489 Posts
Jima, post your videos on youtube or vimeo, then copy the link into your post on rcgroups. You don't have to upload them directly to rcgroups. Hope this helps.

Tony
tpfing is offline Find More Posts by tpfing
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 22, 2012, 11:04 AM
Joined Jan 2003
2,542 Posts
Take off on youtube.
take off (1 min 27 sec)

100% 100% Share Add to Cancel

Jim
Old Nov 22, 2012, 04:10 PM
Retired and Lovin' it!
United States, KY, Sturgis
Joined Jul 2007
2,489 Posts
Looks like you got it figured out.

Tony
tpfing is offline Find More Posts by tpfing
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 22, 2012, 06:31 PM
Joined Jan 2003
2,542 Posts
Had to quit loading and go eat some turkey. Here is the rest of the video with the landing. I guess I did figure out this youtube thing.
landing (1 min 21 sec)

100% 100% Share Add to Cancel

Jim
Old Nov 23, 2012, 12:32 PM
This is a fine fiddly business
United States, WA, Marysville
Joined May 2009
1,329 Posts
Very nice flight and build.
Robert
Robert R is offline Find More Posts by Robert R
Last edited by Robert R; Nov 24, 2012 at 07:38 PM.
Old Nov 24, 2012, 03:18 AM
Norfolk, England
Joined Sep 2001
7,635 Posts
Although Jim had to make do without the fuselage cable exits, they are added to the revised cut file I'll be sending Charlie. Those and some additional aileron rib parts missed first time around.

Pete
PETERRAKE is offline Find More Posts by PETERRAKE
Old Nov 24, 2012, 04:32 AM
What's 3D?
Australia, WA, Ellenbrook
Joined Feb 2008
3,316 Posts
Just got to watch the vids mate, great job, she looks good in the air, well worth the effort you put in to her!

Cheers
Craig
trumps is offline Find More Posts by trumps
Old Nov 24, 2012, 07:28 AM
Joined Jan 2003
2,542 Posts
Quote:
Although Jim had to make do without the fuselage cable exits, they are added to the revised cut file I'll be sending Charlie. Those and some additional aileron rib parts missed first time around.

Pete
The cable exits were easy to make and not really that big a deal. I dont remember any missing ribs on the ailerons. What parts are you talking about?

I cant stress enough how well everything fit and how easy and fun the kit was to put together. A well thought out design with perfectly executed cut parts. I really enjoyed the build.

Jim
Old Nov 24, 2012, 07:40 AM
Joined Jan 2003
2,542 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by trumps View Post
Just got to watch the vids mate, great job, she looks good in the air, well worth the effort you put in to her!

Cheers
Craig
I wish the vids were a little better but it was the first time my cameraman had to use the machine and it was a cheap one. My main objective as just to have proof that it flew.

Thanks for the compliments on the looks. She does fly well even in the swirling wind at our field. For some reason that swirl does not seem to affect the giant scale planes most of our members fly. lol.

The N17 very much lives up to the reputation of the designer as a well designed and easy to build model. She flies great as long as you dont hold up elevator during the take off. ( I did not have any up elevator on the take off in the vid. Had to add some down trim after she was in the air. She lifted off on her own.) I also believe that she will prove to be fairly aerobatic as I get a chance to fly her some more.

Another great model to add to Pete's lineup. Highly recommended.

Also, the graphics from Callie Graphics are first rate and really set off my model. Great job there and highly recommended as well.

One last plug. The laser cutting, wood, and shipping from Charlie and Vicki at Manzanolaser is outstanding. You cant go wrong by using them.

Jim
Old Nov 24, 2012, 08:46 AM
Norfolk, England
Joined Sep 2001
7,635 Posts
Jim,
I think it was A1. Should be 3/16 thick (laminated 1x 1/16 & 1x 1/8) but I think I must have overlooked it because it's on my cut file as new parts. Maybe I put it somewhere it wasn't supposed to go, or just plain missed it - not totally unknown.

Whatever the case, it sounds as if you're happy with the model and it's one I've been meaning to do for some time - along with another N28, DH4, Rumpler CIV, SSW DIII, etc, etc. As long as you're happy, I'm more than satisfied mate. The fact that it came out so well is, of course, a nice bonus
Old Nov 24, 2012, 09:16 AM
Joined Jan 2003
2,542 Posts
Quote:
Jim,
I think it was A1. Should be 3/16 thick (laminated 1x 1/16 & 1x 1/8) but I think I must have overlooked it because it's on my cut file as new parts. Maybe I put it somewhere it wasn't supposed to go, or just plain missed it - not totally unknown.
Pete, I went back and checked the thread and you are right about A1. We discussed it back on page one of the thread. That was so long ago that I forgot. That is really a small modification. Testament to how good the design is when that is the only flaw in all those parts. The 1/8 inch rib A1 is plenty large enough. If I may suggest, I would just make the cut out in the TE of the aileron smaller to 1/8 inch and leave off the extra 1/16 laminated rib. But you would know better than me. You may have a better reason for it.

I am going to be busy for a couple months catching up on some started projects but would like to see a larger Bristol Scout, or Sopwith Camel, or Sopwith Snipe.

Jim
Old Jul 20, 2013, 08:06 AM
Joined Jan 2003
2,542 Posts
N17 making its debut in the August issue of Flying Scale Models

Jim
Old Jul 20, 2013, 04:30 PM
United States, TN, Blountville
Joined Oct 2002
3,550 Posts
Cool, glad to hear it, I will have to look for it on newsstands.
RAFster is offline Find More Posts by RAFster
Old Jul 22, 2013, 03:25 AM
Norfolk, England
Joined Sep 2001
7,635 Posts
Since it's 4 sheets, it appears in two parts: part 1 in August, part 2 in September. Still cheaper than having to buy the plan.

Pete