HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 21, 2012, 07:15 PM
United States, TN, Blountville
Joined Oct 2002
3,551 Posts
Sorry to read of the mishap, best of luck sorting her out during the repairs and maiden II.
RAFster is online now Find More Posts by RAFster
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 22, 2012, 03:29 AM
Norfolk, England
Joined Sep 2001
7,720 Posts
That's the one important point about take-off with these models, DON'T hold on up elevator for longer than it takes to get the wheels moving. If anything, use down elevator to hold her on the ground until adequate flying speed has been gained. There's no more sure route to disaster than hauling the model into the air before flying speed is reached. That wobble, wobble, drop a wing and crunch is heart rending. You're safe though Jim, it's too far to come to slap your wrist.
I hope you will persevere with the repairs, but would understand (not approve, but understand) if you couldn't face it. Painted silver finishes are a pain to patch well.

Pete
PETERRAKE is online now Find More Posts by PETERRAKE
Old Oct 22, 2012, 08:43 AM
Neophyte hacker
Albuquerque, NM USA
Joined Sep 2003
15,743 Posts
And that is one of those flying lessons it has taken me years to learn. My poor Sopwith Triplane (Dar/Tritle) cartwheeled so many times I lost count. All on takeoff. Most people feared landings. Not me. Taking off was the problem. Not made any better when I built the larger SPAD.

Good luck on your decision.

Charlie
portablevcb is offline Find More Posts by portablevcb
Old Oct 23, 2012, 10:50 AM
bth
Bjørn Terje Hansebråten
Oslo , NORWAY
Joined Nov 2004
210 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JIMA View Post
Bad news. Tried to maiden last night. Wind calmed down. First attempt to fly one of these models off grass. I made a rookie mistake and held up elevator during roll out and she took off and stalled. Hit pretty hard at an angle and ripped the wings off. Looks like a couple weeks to repair. But it will have to wait as I promised my wife to finish a couple of house projects.

Jim
What is the weight of this airplane ? How much do the nose hang down at the CG ? What is the wing area ? ( grams/ sq dm ?) How much watt takes the motor, and how many RPM ? My 48 inc Peter Rake DH6 has about 23 grams/sq dm, and 233 watt/kg. Have no problems with takeoff. It's in the air at flying speed before I reach full throttle ( I like it more overpowered than underpowered)

The DH 6 prototype designed by Peter Rake, built by me. (7 min 17 sec)
bth is offline Find More Posts by bth
Old Oct 23, 2012, 03:52 PM
Auckland, New Zealand
Joined Sep 2005
1,308 Posts
Yep, done that too in the belief that the up elevator will stop nosing over on take off with a grassy strip. The damage is always a bit more acceptable a few days later, get the wifes chores out of the way and then fix her up
floss is offline Find More Posts by floss
Old Oct 24, 2012, 06:31 PM
New Boston, Texas, United States
Joined Jan 2003
2,653 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PETERRAKE View Post
That's the one important point about take-off with these models, DON'T hold on up elevator for longer than it takes to get the wheels moving. If anything, use down elevator to hold her on the ground until adequate flying speed has been gained. There's no more sure route to disaster than hauling the model into the air before flying speed is reached. That wobble, wobble, drop a wing and crunch is heart rending. You're safe though Jim, it's too far to come to slap your wrist.
I hope you will persevere with the repairs, but would understand (not approve, but understand) if you couldn't face it. Painted silver finishes are a pain to patch well.

Pete
I made a rookie mistake. I knew better. I just rushed it. The good news is that the damage is not that bad. I will repair it. But I have to finish the kitchen cabinets first. Maybe a couple of weeks setback is all.

Jim
JIMA is offline Find More Posts by JIMA
Old Oct 24, 2012, 06:36 PM
What's 3D?
Australia, WA, Ellenbrook
Joined Feb 2008
3,316 Posts
fantastic to hear Jim!
trumps is offline Find More Posts by trumps
Old Oct 24, 2012, 07:47 PM
Norfolk, England
Joined Sep 2001
7,720 Posts
And now we all know why it's so important to get those static and faked flying shots done while the model is in pristine condition. She'll hardly ever (unless your name is Darrin) look as good after a crash.

That was just general advice mate, not specifically aimed at you. More a warning to others.

Pete
Old Oct 24, 2012, 08:05 PM
What's 3D?
Australia, WA, Ellenbrook
Joined Feb 2008
3,316 Posts
it's scarey that even Darrin's crashed planes look fantastic
trumps is offline Find More Posts by trumps
Old Oct 25, 2012, 06:04 PM
United States, KY, Bowling Green
Joined Jul 2011
1,075 Posts
Jim,

Sorry your maiden did'nt work out. I feel your pain, we build these planes trying to achieve a "perfect" model and then in a matter of a second or two inflict damage to our beautiful creation. With out a doubt, balsa scale builders are masochists, but we love it!!

Set the plane to the side for a few, patch it up the best you can and give it another go....

Bill
Bill Smudge is offline Find More Posts by Bill Smudge
Old Oct 25, 2012, 06:49 PM
I eat glue
Canada, NS, Yarmouth
Joined Jul 2006
3,474 Posts
Yep. But to truly suffer you must try rubber freeflight scale!
baldguy is offline Find More Posts by baldguy
Old Oct 25, 2012, 07:26 PM
S/E Michigan
Joined Jun 2010
1,650 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by baldguy View Post
Yep. But to truly suffer you must try rubber freeflight scale!
I am glad those days are behind me!
phillip57 is offline Find More Posts by phillip57
Old Nov 10, 2012, 07:37 AM
Joined Jan 2003
2,653 Posts
Cabinets should be finished up this weekend. I have started the repairs. Just a couple of tears in the covering to fix and then to glue the wings back on. I was really lucky the plane was not damaged more than it was. Pete designs a tough model. The only thing I have to rebuild is one of the UC wood fairings. Repairs should not take too long.

Jim
Old Nov 10, 2012, 08:16 AM
Norfolk, England
Joined Sep 2001
7,720 Posts
Jim,
Glad to hear things weren't as bad as you at first feared mate. She was much too pretty for it to have been a total disaster.
Next time, remember to put in a little down trim so you actually have to use elevator to get her to unstick - or just don't hold up elevator once she starts to move. However, if you're anything like me, all the advice goes straight out the window as soon as the motor starts up. Sheer panic sets in instead.

Pete
Old Nov 20, 2012, 06:02 PM
Joined Jan 2003
2,653 Posts
I am happy to report the N17 is all repaired and ready for remaiden. I took this opportunity to add a little more weight to the nose as well. She was a little tail heavy before when held at the CG point on the plans. I dont know when the remaiden will take place with the Thanksgiving holiday upon us. Soon I hope.

Pete,

I have been delaying the article and pix until after she has actually flown. I feel like the story needs to end with a good flight report.

Jim