HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 10, 2012, 11:55 AM
New Boston, Texas, United States
Joined Jan 2003
2,498 Posts
Build Log
Peter Rake Nieuport 17 40" ws Proto.

The Nieuport 17 was a replacement aircraft for the famous Nieuport 11 Bebe'. It was slightly larger and had a 110 hp rotary engine. It is the aircraft made famous by the movie "The Flyboys". Which just happens to be one of my favorite movies. The Escadrille Lafayette received their N17s on October 30, 1916.

While surfing RC Groups, I ran across Peter's thread titled "So What Next?" and I was curious to see if he had ever done a set of plans on the N17. I checked Manzano Laser's website and did not see a kit for it. So I decided to ask. Next thing I knew I had been drafted to build a prototype. It has been several years since the last time I prototyped a model for Pete so if I get a little too detailed I hope everyone will hang with me.

Peter swiftly drew up the plans and got them out to me but I elected to have Charlie cut a kit to build from. I have only ever built one laser cut kit and that was many years ago in the form of a Molt Models Hellcat. Charlie was a little behind and it took a couple of weeks before he was able to get to the N17. A problem that he has remedied and I received my kit last Thursday.

I plan to take a lot of pics and use them to help me document each step of construction for the magazine article later. Although the pics that I take for the article will be in Hi res, I am going to resize the pics for display here due to the time it takes to download them.

The model will be built to plan. Servos in the wings for ailerons and pull/pull lines for elevator and rudder. She will be covered in Polyspan and painted in one of the schemes from a plane in Flyboys.

So on with the show.

Decided to start with the top wing first. Took all of one Saturday to build. Boy this laser cut stuff sure speeds the build along. Ran in to only one problem. The pockets for the servos was too small for the servos I intended to use. Glad I checked them before installing the ribs in the wing. It was easily fixed however. The rest of the wing build went smooth as butter. When I went to upload my pix this am found that I had already taken 49. Maybe I am over doing it a bit.

Jim
JIMA is offline Find More Posts by JIMA
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 10, 2012, 01:05 PM
Joined Jan 2003
2,498 Posts
How about some more?
Old Jun 10, 2012, 01:16 PM
United States, CA, Ukiah
Joined Dec 2011
793 Posts
Sub'd! One of my favorite ww1 aircraft despite the issues it had, its eye candy!

Mendo
Mendo is offline Find More Posts by Mendo
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 10, 2012, 04:20 PM
Norfolk, England
Joined Sep 2001
7,600 Posts
Jim,
You're doing a great job mate, good to see lots of detail.

I've checked A1, and removed .004" from its' length although that extra length was to allow for the angle of sweep (so the rib could be trimmed). As regards thickness, some fool intended it to be 3/16, then discovered it would be the only 3/16 balsa in the model so made it 1/8. It's just that he forgot to alter the t.e. to suit. It's now a laminated rib and 3/16 thick.

Since some servos, like the Futaba one I used to size the openings, do fit, I'll leave them as they are.

Pete
PETERRAKE is offline Find More Posts by PETERRAKE
Old Jun 10, 2012, 04:53 PM
United States, TN, Blountville
Joined Oct 2002
3,550 Posts
JIMA/Jim, Nice clean work and I like that you are slowly stepping through with lots of pictures and explanations.
What size outrunner or geared inrunner is this designed to take?
Being a 40" biplane that is lightly built would it be a Speed 400 1100kv or so on 2S lipo/life?
Swinging a 10x6 or 11x5 prop or something smaller like a 9x6?

Also, Pete already has an IPS sized 36 inch Focker Triplane design, what other Flyboys opposition designs does he need to crank out?
RAFster is offline Find More Posts by RAFster
Last edited by RAFster; Jun 10, 2012 at 04:58 PM.
Old Jun 10, 2012, 05:33 PM
What's 3D?
Australia, WA, Ellenbrook
Joined Feb 2008
3,316 Posts
Great start bud, she will be a pretty little thing when finished!

Cheers
Craig
trumps is offline Find More Posts by trumps
Old Jun 10, 2012, 06:29 PM
Norfolk, England
Joined Sep 2001
7,600 Posts
RAFster,
Not me, never done a Dr1. You are right though, it does need some 1/8 scale opposition. Hang on, there's a couple of Albatros types around at that scale, DII and DIII. I know I did those. Trouble is that so many people want 1/6 scale these days. No, I draw the line at a 1/8 scale Zeppelin just so Jim can attack it.

You sound pretty much on the money with what I had in mind for power. Radially mounted outrunners fit so nicely behind dummy engines.

Pete
PETERRAKE is offline Find More Posts by PETERRAKE
Old Jun 10, 2012, 06:43 PM
Joined Oct 2002
3,550 Posts
Sorry, musta been a Pat Tritle design...
Flyboys was rife with inaccuracies but entertaining none the less IMHO.

(The Nieuport 17 had gone out of service by the time the Dr1 came into service and the Red Baron flew with 4 Red Dr1s and there were lots of other colors besides the black one... only the one squadron flew all red Dr1s and their undersides were painted blue.)
Last edited by RAFster; Jun 10, 2012 at 06:55 PM.
Old Jun 10, 2012, 06:46 PM
Joined Oct 2002
3,550 Posts
Ok then, who is going to proto build your 1/8 scale Zeppelin you are starting to draw lines for..
Old Jun 10, 2012, 06:51 PM
Joined Jan 2003
2,498 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RAFster View Post
JIMA/Jim, Nice clean work and I like that you are slowly stepping through with lots of pictures and explanations.
What size outrunner or geared inrunner is this designed to take?
Being a 40" biplane that is lightly built would it be a Speed 400 1100kv or so on 2S lipo/life?
Swinging a 10x6 or 11x5 prop or something smaller like a 9x6?

Also, Pete already has an IPS sized 36 inch Focker Triplane design, what other Flyboys opposition designs does he need to crank out?
Thanks for the compliments. I already have the motor for the N17. This is it http://www.headsuprc.com/servlet/the...ushless/Detail I was thinking 3s and a 10x6 or 11x7 prop.

Flyboys was a little unrealistic with all those DR1s. Some Albatrice? would have been closer to reality.

Jim
Last edited by JIMA; Jun 10, 2012 at 07:06 PM.
Old Jun 10, 2012, 07:03 PM
Joined Jan 2003
2,498 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PETERRAKE View Post
Jim,
You're doing a great job mate, good to see lots of detail.

I've checked A1, and removed .004" from its' length although that extra length was to allow for the angle of sweep (so the rib could be trimmed). As regards thickness, some fool intended it to be 3/16, then discovered it would be the only 3/16 balsa in the model so made it 1/8. It's just that he forgot to alter the t.e. to suit. It's now a laminated rib and 3/16 thick.

Since some servos, like the Futaba one I used to size the openings, do fit, I'll leave them as they are.

Pete
I found the length of A1 to be fine. Now I understand why A1 was too wider on the plan. But dont forget about the 3/16 leading edge for the ailerons. So there are other 3/16 parts.

With the above exception, I found all the rest of the parts fit perfectly. And the wing is really well designed. One of the problems I always had with my previous builds was the weakness of the leading edge of the wings due to the thinness of the stock used. I cracked the Strutter in a few places while landing in my field with the grass high. However, the riblets add a great deal of strength. I am considering going back and adding some to the Camel wing before covering it.

As far as the servo pocket is concerned. It might be worth warning the builder on the plan to check fit his servos before installing this rib. There are so many different servos on the market now it would be impossible for you to account for them all.

Aside from some sanding this morning and adding this thread, I was unable to get back to work on it today. Had to mow the grass. Pull the clothes dryer out and clean the lint out of the vent. Go to the store and buy more CA. Ran out. etc..... Still need to tape up the plans for the lower wings before can start on them. But they should be even quicker since there are no sub structures in them.

BTW the N17 is not a biplane. It is a Sesquiplane. You experts can probably help me out here but I think the difference is that the lower wing has less than or equal to half the wing area as the top wing and therefore does not count equally as a second wing.

Jim
Old Jun 10, 2012, 09:41 PM
Joined Oct 2002
3,550 Posts
I know it would be a lot harder to shape but wouldn't a bass leading edge to the wing impart more strength than the riblets? The torsional strength will probably be increased by the riblets more than a bass LE...