HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by hammer22, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Jun 10, 2012, 11:36 AM
United States, NH, Exeter
Joined Oct 2010
99 Posts
Trader Rating: 26
Sold
DSM2/DSMX compatible transmitter module for JR radio

2/6/2013: I am now out of the JR modules for now. I will post a message when I have made some more.

10/23/2012: I need to mark this thread as sold as I have sold all the JR modules I have right now. I will be building another batch soon but I can't give a date on when they will be done. I am hoping no later than the first week in November. Thanks to all who have purchased them.

6/25/2012: A note to those who are thinking to use this module with a Turnigy 9x and factory V2 firmware: It appears that when a new model is set up in the radio programming, the radio defaults to Mode 1. After setting up a new model, make sure to set the radio to Mode 2 and the module works fine. There is also an issue with the pins in the 9x the module socket being a bit too short for reliable contact. The existing pins need to be replaced with longer ones. For those that need it, I will send a 5 pin header along with the module that is about 4mm longer than the stock pins and it will be up to the user to replace the stock pins. Desoldering/Soldering skills will be required for this mod. Many thanks to UAVJOE who helped sort this out.

6/10/2012: I have another 6 5 2 of these modules available. Please PM me if you wish to purchase. Some feedback from a customer:

"Flew my new Beast BNF today with your module. Binds fast and works great. Can't attest to range as I'm flying a micro size plane and keep it close in. The range check was great, went out past 40 paces on low power with no problems." Bob Y., Austin, TX.

Original Ad:
I am selling a custom made 100% DSM2/DSMX compatible transmitter module for use with JR transmitters. This module is 100% completely DSM2 and DSMX compatible and is able to transmit in either the original DSM2 protocol or in the new frequency hopping DSMX protocol!! Yes, you read correctly; it can transmit in DSMX mode!! Switching between modes is quick and easy using the transmitter throttle stick and the bind button on the module. I am asking $85 shipped to CONUS. I will ship internationally for $10 via USPS first class mail.

Disclaimer: This is not a Spektrum brand module and, except for the plastic case/antenna, does not contain any Horizon Hobby or Spektrum parts.This module is custom designed with custom firmware and built using a 2.4GHz RF module based on the proven Cypress CYRF6936 2.4GHz DSSS radio chip, the same RF chip used all Spektrum radio equipment. This same RF module is used by another popular RC radio equipment manufacturer in their FCC certified transmitters.

This module is a proprietary design, hand made, using only high quality components and thoroughly tested.

This module is 100% functionally equivalent to the popular Spektrum DM9 module and just like the original Spektrum DM9 module, it converts your JR brand (or some others) module based transmitter to DSM2. But this module has the added ability to transmit in DSMX mode too!

This is a full range module with an average RF output power level of +20dBm.

In addition, this module is ideal for anyone looking to convert their non-JR brand transmitter to DSM2/DSMX. This module will work with any polarity of PPM signal input and will accept from 1 to 9 channels. It comes configured JR channel order (T.A.E.R.) but can be changed to Futaba (A.E.T.R.) or Multiplex (A.E.R.T.) channel order by changing jumpers on the circuit board. That means you can convert a Futaba transmitter for use with the popular Bind-N-Fly micro aircraft without worrying about the servo channels being in the wrong order. The elevator stick will correctly control the elevator, same for the throttle, ailerons and rudder. Other radio manufacturers channel order can be substituted upon request.

The firmware in this module has been extensively tested with a wide variety of DSM2/DSMX Spektrum receivers including the AR6400 micro brick RX used in the popular Eflite, Parkzone and Blade line of micro aircraft and helicopters, AR7000, AR6110, AR9000, AR6210 and HK Orange receiver. It performs every bit as well as the original DM9.

Key Features:
- Protocol - DSM2 or DSMX mode.

- Easy to switch between modes using throttle stick and bind button.

- Compatible with any DSM2 or DSMX receiver, including DSM2/DSMX Bind-N-Fly micro aircraft and helicopters and the Hobby King line of Orange DSM2 compatible receivers.

- Accepts any polarity PPM signal with servo pulse lengths between 0.8ms and 2.2ms. Module will limit out of range servo pulses to these values.

- Resolution - DSM2 - 10 bit. DSMX - 11 bit.

- Works with any transmitter that outputs a standard PPM signal from 1 to 9 channels.

- Maximum number of channels transmitted: DSM2 mode: 9 channels. DSMX mode: 7 channels.

- RF output power: +20dBm.

- Power input voltage range: 5 - 15 volts.

- PPM signal voltage: 5V to 12V

- Exact fit JR transmitter case for correct fit in JR module based transmitters.

- Informative status LED that does more than just tell you if power is on.

- 14 day money back return policy if not satisfied.
hammer22 is offline Find More Posts by hammer22
Last edited by hammer22; Feb 06, 2013 at 06:19 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 10, 2012, 02:51 PM
United States, KS, Overland Park
Joined Jun 2007
495 Posts
Trader Rating: 36
Do you have FCC Type acceptance on these modules?
fizzwater2 is online now Find More Posts by fizzwater2
Old Jun 11, 2012, 10:12 AM
United States, IL, North Aurora
Joined Sep 2009
606 Posts
Trader Rating: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by fizzwater2 View Post
Do you have FCC Type acceptance on these modules?
Ditto?
hook57 is offline Find More Posts by hook57
Last edited by hook57; Jun 11, 2012 at 10:39 AM.
Old Jun 11, 2012, 12:25 PM
Joined Oct 2010
99 Posts
No, my TX module does not have FCC type acceptance. However, the actual 2.4Ghz module (the silver box) is used by a major RC manufacturer in their transmitters, all of which have FCC approval.
Old Jun 14, 2012, 12:41 PM
UAV Guy
United States, NM, Las Cruces
Joined Feb 2012
294 Posts
Trader Rating: 0
Has this been tested on a Turnigy 9x Tx? If so, How does it work and will i need to update the Firmware on the radio?
UAVJOE is offline Find More Posts by UAVJOE
Old Jun 16, 2012, 08:19 AM
Joined Oct 2010
99 Posts
I have not tested it on a 9x and know of nobody who has. But I have read in several places on RCGroups that the Spektrum DM9 module is plug-in compatible with the 9x and so my module should be too.
Old Jun 16, 2012, 09:50 AM
UAV Guy
Joined Feb 2012
294 Posts
From the research I have done the dm9 the main thing is the channel sequence from the 9x. From what I understand it uses the futaba sequence an the dm9 uses the jr sequence. Some have said that once you change the firmware in the 9x you can resequence them and it should work. The only other problem I have heard is possibly the ppm sig voltage being too low for the dm9. I will need to do more research before I buy. Thanks
Old Jun 16, 2012, 05:21 PM
Joined Oct 2010
99 Posts
With my module, you are able to select between 4 different channel sequences; JR, Futaba, Airtronics, and Multiplex (I can substitute others upon request) so changing the firmware on the 9x is not necessary. I can tell you that my module will definitely work with a PPM siganl voltage between 5 and 12 volts. If the 9x puts out should put out something below 5 volts, then I can reduce the value of a series input resistor accordingly to make sure it works.
Old Jun 17, 2012, 12:11 AM
Australia, NSW, Lismore
Joined May 2012
54 Posts
9x compatability

I'd definitely buy one of these if compatability with the Flysky TH9x can be confirmed. I believe there was an issue with pin length/postion that needed to be addressed with the DM9 but I may be wrong.
Symantics is offline Find More Posts by Symantics
Old Jun 17, 2012, 05:13 PM
UAV Guy
Joined Feb 2012
294 Posts
The problem with the pins is easy tho fix.
You need to cut the raised section on the 9x around the pins in the section where the mod. goes.
I will post here How it works when i get it in my hands.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Symantics View Post
I'd definitely buy one of these if compatability with the Flysky TH9x can be confirmed. I believe there was an issue with pin length/postion that needed to be addressed with the DM9 but I may be wrong.
Old Jun 20, 2012, 02:03 PM
Joined Jun 2012
0 Posts
payments

i would like one of these. what payments do you accept?
bobhinkle is offline Find More Posts by bobhinkle
Old Jun 20, 2012, 02:10 PM
UAV Guy
Joined Feb 2012
294 Posts
Hey hey I livened up the thread. You welcome Hammer...
As soon as mine arrives I will report on how it works with the Turnigy 9x.
Thanks for the help.
Old Jun 20, 2012, 08:22 PM
Joined Oct 2010
99 Posts
bobhinkle,
I take Paypal or I'll accept a money order. I'll PM you with the details.

UAVJOE,
You certainly did and thanks!
Old Jun 20, 2012, 11:29 PM
UAV Guy
Joined Feb 2012
294 Posts
no worries bud. I look forward to testing out your system.
Old Jun 22, 2012, 06:55 PM
Australia, NSW, Lismore
Joined May 2012
54 Posts
Thanks Joe,

Waiting on your report before I pull the trigger on this. Seems a few people on the MCPx thread would be interested too,

THx,,
Symantics is offline Find More Posts by Symantics