HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by bmiller, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Jun 10, 2012, 05:37 AM
SoCal, Year Round Flying!
Newport Beach, CA
Joined May 2002
5,745 Posts
Discussion
Fly FLY F-100 Super Sabre (epo version)

Picked it up at the field today from Hung (Zascarkid) for $150 and I had got the retracts for it from Herb last week for $40 so I saved over $100 bucks. Already have an original jetfan90 and a 6S motor.
I held the wing halves together and tried to fit it in the HHR, TOO BIG!
I'll have to remove the wing for transport which is a pain in the ass.
Anyway its pretty and big, should come out extremely light for it's size making it a floater. I don't expect it to be a fast jet because of the huge size but it should be a fun agile flyer.
Heres the thread on it http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1124911
bmiller is offline Find More Posts by bmiller
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 25, 2012, 08:40 PM
Newport Beach, CA
Joined May 2002
5,745 Posts
Okay got this week off work so I started on it.
The retracts I got are for 4mm not the 3mm the kit came with.
Herb gave me some spare 4mm wire struts so I cut what I needed and drilled the struts out to fit using a 5/32 drillbit. Had to work the drill some to ream the hole to fit 4mm but the struts are soft aluminum so it wasn't too hard. Noticed the front foam wheels are different sizes will have to sand down or just let it bend the crappy weak axel mount alittle sideways. Had to get JB weld to glue the struts trailing link collar to the strut. I tell ya cheap retracts are horrible. Attention to stupid details like this is nonexistant in China. I don't get their lack of quality control, make it alittle better and charge us alittle more geezus!
Old Jun 26, 2012, 11:40 PM
Newport Beach, CA
Joined May 2002
5,745 Posts
Got some hardware at the LHS to mod the elevator pivot assy from wimpy 3mm to 4mm shaft also bolts to mount motor in Jetfan90(V1)fan
Its a turnigy 3656-08 1800kv. 6S max setup for about 1800W. About as much as you want to push this motor.
I also just ordered a HET700-68-1500kv motor in case the jet needs more power.
It's an 8S setup around 2500W.
Time to look around for some gens ace packs.
Old Jul 15, 2012, 05:50 AM
Newport Beach, CA
Joined May 2002
5,745 Posts
Getting close to finishing my build.
I replaced the short 3mm thick elevator support rods with slightly thicker 1/8 rod and extended them about 1" further into the elevator halves.
It was much easier to do that then 4mm or 5/32 rod.
Also sunk the esc mounting tray 1/4" so my ICE100 sits flush to the exhaust duct and doesn't protrude into the airflow.
I need to remove the wing for transport but making the wing easy to R&R is proving difficult because where the wires are run to the retracts and ailerons. The best bet so far is making those connections IN the wheelwells requiring perfect length extensions I either have to make or find.
Old Jul 28, 2012, 09:17 PM
Newport Beach, CA
Joined May 2002
5,745 Posts
Was able to fit jet in car w/wing on! YAY!
Maiden flight last sat. Took off, Bobby helped me with the trims, was flying around a couple minutes, flys fine although alittle slow, motor shut off, no prob brought in to land, hit retracts and the BEC died instantly. Wings were level and she hit at a slight nose down angle at the end of the runway, cracked the fuse alittle, nothing major on the airframe. My fault on using the ESCs BEC to power the radio. New ESC installed, powered up and the motor is shorted so thats why it shutoff inflight. New HET700 installed so it'll be 8S next time. One elevator servo stripped from the crash, got replacement servo, need to cut into fuse to replace.
Hopefully remaiden tomorrow.
Old Jul 30, 2012, 12:39 AM
Newport Beach, CA
Joined May 2002
5,745 Posts
No maiden today, family duties.
Cut servo out of fuse, got enough slack to cut wires and solder to new servo.
Made and installed 90% thrust tube,
HET700 motor w/heatsink looks badass in there, should be a huge power/speed increase, without the tube the exit is about 120% and filled with servo bumps and a big hole where the ESC sits.
Buttoned it all up checked the controls and the other ele servo is fragged! Stripped gear when full up elevator applied so gotta get another servo tomorrow....
Old Aug 13, 2012, 07:06 PM
Newport Beach, CA
Joined May 2002
5,745 Posts
Maiden went well, 7S 80A 1900W.
Metered 8S and it hit 104A at half stick so I used 7S.
Don't know why, Kv must be muich higher than what the motor is labeled at.
Speed better but needs alot of throttle to fly decently.
Will smooth out all the square cut trailing edges and see if that helps.
Last edited by bmiller; Aug 13, 2012 at 07:13 PM. Reason: shoulda posted this last week
Old Aug 13, 2012, 07:20 PM
Newport Beach, CA
Joined May 2002
5,745 Posts
Short flight on mine sunday, one main ripped out right at liftoff and only the connector was holding it. I made several slow circles as I walked to the small grass area at the end of the dirt runway and brought it in as slow as possible. Flared out and it landed at maybe 10mph. Zero damage and the retract was 1ft away. The retract supports had ripped right out of the foam. made some holes for the epoxy to get a better bite so hopefully that won't happen again. On the plus side I had sanded down all the trailing edges on the wing, elevators and rudder and despite the dangling tract and emergency landing I noticed it made a big differerence inflight, requiring much less throttle to cruise around. I also was using my heavier 7S(3+4) 5000s and didn't feel any difference in flight characteristics over the lighter 4000s.
Old Oct 23, 2012, 09:45 PM
Newport Beach, CA
Joined May 2002
5,745 Posts
Last saturday night I swapped out the ICE100 ESC for ICE2 HV120A ESC so I can run 8S instead of 7S.
Flew Sunday, OMG it's awesome!
I'll try get a meter on it , guesstimate is 3300W with my now broken in and amazingly good GA4000 packs. Also just ordered 2 more GA 4S 4000 60-120C!
Hard to wait for next weekends flying!LOL
Old Oct 28, 2012, 11:57 PM
Newport Beach, CA
Joined May 2002
5,745 Posts
R.I.P. F-100
RX pack was low, thought I'd get 1-2 more flights out of it....I was wrong.
The brand new GAs got smushed, still balanced but we'll see after a couple days.