Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jun 10, 2012, 05:36 AM
Joined Jun 2012
1 Posts
Discussion
Need some help picking my first rc boat

I need help from some people that's been around for a while. The boats I'm looking at are.
1. Aquacraft Mötley Crew
2. Aquacraft Revolt 30
3. Proboat Miss Geico
4. A carbon fiber hull of a genesis and do a build
5. Mean Machine 2 and a complete build

I'm not set on just these boats, but I do like the cats style more than a mono. I have been into rc cars, truck, and helis. Right now I have 3 helis. So I'm not new to the rc scene.

What my goals are, to run 4s. Have as long as run times as possible. Run around 40, but not above 50mph. I just want a good boat to play with when I go fly my helis. The flying field is at the lake. And it's only 2 miles from my house. Plus I could take the rc boat out, when I take my real boat out to the lake for some added fun
Jason4636 is offline Find More Posts by Jason4636
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 10, 2012, 06:27 AM
Canada, ON, Markham
Joined Aug 2008
8,788 Posts
Motley Crew and a better prop will get you above 40mph easily. I think on the stock prop they're typically in the 36-38mph range. It's also super stable at these speeds unless it's quite windy and choppy.

I would get the Mystic over the miss Geico. Same hull, but the Mystic has the better offset rudder stock.
wparsons is offline Find More Posts by wparsons
Old Jun 10, 2012, 06:32 AM
Redneck Injuneer
Bradenton, Florida
Joined Aug 2007
6,060 Posts
I'd suggest staying away from the Genesis for doing a build whether it's CF or not. I've owned one as well as a couple of others in our club. Although they look good and run well in a straight line they don't handle chop or corner worth a flip.

The Proboat MG and Mystic are both good running rtr cats as is the AQ MC. These and the Revolt 30 all fall into the "spec" boat class and most will run box stock in the 30's.

None of the rtr's will perform like a roll your own build. If you were thinking about a CF Genesis to do a build you might consider the Fightercat Cheetah over the Mean Machine. It's a better looking hull, the carbon/kevler hull is priced competitive with the Mean Machine, and it handles. RayR has already built one as a single for Q on 6s and I just finished my twin that will also run on 5 to 6s.
Here's a link to Ray's single. http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1621400 My twin is currently on page 1.
bill34207 is offline Find More Posts by bill34207
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Top Gun 2014