Old Jun 10, 2012, 02:27 AM
Prague CZ
Joined May 2010
188 Posts
Discussion
Grob G103 (Reichard/Esprit Model)

Hi All,

I made small detour from my Andersen Ta152 to gain new force for the wing
This is Grob G103 from Reichard (in US it is available from Esprit).
The span is 3.7m so not small but still easy for transport.

The kit:
Wings are foam cores skinned and reinforced with glass cloth
Servo holes are pre-cut in the wing but you need modify the depth to suit your servos (easy)
In my kit I had the airbrakes mounting blocks in wrong size (several mm) easy fix but why?
It is recommended to use HS-422 for airbrakes. I see no way how you would fit that one in. I had some 225BB but HS81/81MG would do the job as well.
I got the stab with wrong shape, it was exchanged.
The elevator/rudder control is prepared to use 2MM snakes. For the elevator this is not a good idea. The tension is simply too large and you are not able to control the plane properly. I will mount 5085MG to the fin.
Undercarriage design is not the best. It needs to be reinforced (especially the front wheel).
Glass work on the fuse is nice with gell coat. Only the canopy frames are not really nice.

What I do miss that there is no interior at all. I may scratch build something or just leave it as this is just for fun. Yes and the manual is really rubbish. I don't know if Esprit made some better one for US market but the Czech is... It is not good as first ARF/kit for sure, but some things would be good to mention.

If you would like to have more photos please let me know.
And the tug, thank you Jirka
Vik_ is offline Find More Posts by Vik_
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 10, 2012, 03:52 AM
Joined Jul 2004
2,585 Posts
Hi Vik I've been eying one of these off for a while now, more pictures would be great please, so how does she fly, a very sexy machine!
Big Nuts 181 is offline Find More Posts by Big Nuts 181
Old Jun 10, 2012, 11:00 AM
CNC Cutter
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined Dec 2005
8,608 Posts
I recall dualing in a 103 over Minden a few years back.
A great place to fly with views of mntns on both sides of the valley and Lake Tahoe.

I've had an eye out for a good model if the DG 103.

Keep up the good reportage.
birdofplay is online now Find More Posts by birdofplay
Old Jun 10, 2012, 02:02 PM
LSF303 / AMA Life Member
USA, IL, Wheeling
Joined Jan 2003
3,122 Posts
Cool! Reminds me of that big ol' Graupner 4 meter Grob 103 I have stacked in the back of the basement somwehere.
tkallev is offline Find More Posts by tkallev
Old Jun 11, 2012, 04:46 AM
Prague CZ
Joined May 2010
188 Posts
The Graupner is nice too and totally ideal size.

As for mine: I forgot. The CoG is stated to far forward. When it was balanced in the middle of the tolerance stated it was really nose heavy.

The 5085MG is on way and as soon as I will return from business trip I can start to mod. I shall done this when I started.

I forgot - tow hook is not included as well.

Reinforced and fiberglassed front wheel:
Last edited by Vik_; Jun 11, 2012 at 04:52 AM.
Old Jun 11, 2012, 07:55 AM
Joined Jul 2004
2,585 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkallev View Post
Cool! Reminds me of that big ol' Graupner 4 meter Grob 103 I have stacked in the back of the basement somwehere.
I'm green with envy, I always wante one of them and buy the time I could afford one Graupner hat stopped making them.
Old Jun 11, 2012, 10:45 PM
Life-abstract=conformity
S.F. Bay Area
Joined Aug 2002
1,872 Posts
Nice bit Vik,
But what did you spill all over the bench?
AirBornOne is offline Find More Posts by AirBornOne
Old Jun 12, 2012, 03:34 PM
Prague CZ
Joined May 2010
188 Posts
plastic foil to prevent any epoxy to drop on the plan
Old Jun 13, 2012, 09:37 AM
Joined Jul 2004
2,585 Posts
Ahhhh good old climgwrap
Last edited by Big Nuts 181; Feb 02, 2013 at 08:20 AM. Reason: bloody iphones
Old Feb 01, 2013, 11:14 PM
Melbourne,Victoria,Australia
Joined Apr 2010
1,509 Posts
Successful maiden-electric reichard model grob g103c

Finally got around to maiden my electric grob today at the slope.I decided to electrify it,as i will flat field fly it as well,and use the motor on calm days at the slope.I installed a tiger 3530-570kv brushless motor, 6s/3000 mah 40C lipo,maytech 85 amp esc with bec,and 13x6.5 aeronaut prop & spinner.This gives me 1300 watts/1800 watt peak,60 amps continuous/80 amp peak.Rudder and elevator servos are in the fin,short linkage and no slop.There is no possible way l would of used the supplied bowden type cables for rudder & elevator.Any way,the wind was perfect,so l did not need the motor to launch off the slope.The grob climbed steadily and was high in little time.The centre of gravity i have at 33%,and is spot on,no need to move the lipo forward or back.It was solid in the air,and has a wide speed range,and is easy to fly.I built the lipo box out of 4mm ply,and is padded with high density black foam,and the lipo is held in with two wide velcro straps.The box is also removable,by undoing x2 3/16 bolts.The esc is also velcroed to the cockpit wall.I tested the motor at height, and it looks like l have the right amount of sidethrust and downthrust,as there was no tendency to yaw left,and climb to steeply under power.Overall,it was a fair bit of work to install the motor,etc,but it has paid off..6s is 113 watts per pound,which is ample power.Flying weight is 5.450kg,an increase of approx 950 grams,compared to the non powered 4.5kg flying weight.I am happy with it,heres some pics from today-
Damian Couzoff is offline Find More Posts by Damian Couzoff
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Damian Couzoff; Feb 01, 2013 at 11:23 PM. Reason: corrected spelling
Old Feb 04, 2013, 04:12 AM
Suisse, Genève, Genève
Joined Sep 2010
133 Posts
I fly this glider since 2 years now with some success.

First it was intended to fly at the slope. I tried everything but it comes too fast on landing. So I decided to fly it exclusively behind a tow plane

Did you noticed the same thing ?

Otherwise a very nice plane
saltomortale is offline Find More Posts by saltomortale
Old Feb 04, 2013, 04:34 AM
Joined Apr 2010
1,509 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by saltomortale View Post
I fly this glider since 2 years now with some success.

First it was intended to fly at the slope. I tried everything but it comes too fast on landing. So I decided to fly it exclusively behind a tow plane

Did you noticed the same thing ?

Otherwise a very nice plane
HI Saltomortale.Where do you have your centre of gravity at?.Mine is at 85mm back from the leading edge.At 85mm its perfect.(33%) It does fly fast when you want it to,but it can also be flown slow.When l landed it,l didnt need to use the spoilers,as l bought it behind the slope,turned back into the wind ,and it just slowed down to a walking pace.Check your centre of gravity,if its less than 85mm,its nose heavy,resulting in increased airspeed,making it to fast to land.cheers damo
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Damian Couzoff; Feb 04, 2013 at 05:24 AM.
Old Feb 05, 2013, 03:56 AM
Suisse, Genève, Genève
Joined Sep 2010
133 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Damian Couzoff View Post
HI Saltomortale.Where do you have your centre of gravity at?.Mine is at 85mm back from the leading edge.At 85mm its perfect.(33%) It does fly fast when you want it to,but it can also be flown slow.When l landed it,l didnt need to use the spoilers,as l bought it behind the slope,turned back into the wind ,and it just slowed down to a walking pace.Check your centre of gravity,if its less than 85mm,its nose heavy,resulting in increased airspeed,making it to fast to land.cheers damo
My CG is correct.

Perhaps this has to do with the incidence wing/stabilizer
saltomortale is offline Find More Posts by saltomortale
Old Feb 06, 2013, 12:14 AM
Prague CZ
Joined May 2010
188 Posts
Hi
I actually moved the CoG more rear than it is indicated on the plan.
But can not remember the value now. It helped to the gliding performance.
Vik
Old Feb 06, 2013, 05:13 AM
Joined Apr 2010
1,509 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by saltomortale View Post
My CG is correct.

Perhaps this has to do with the incidence wing/stabilizer
Maybe it is the incidence,l doubt it though.Most medium to large gliders come in quick,especially when the spoilers are deployed,as they increase airspeed.
RCG Plus Member