HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Closed Thread
Old Jun 10, 2012, 01:24 AM
Austin, Texas
Joined Dec 2005
254 Posts
Help!
Best method to remove old EconoKote film?

Not exactly sure where this post will get the best results, so I am posting it a few places for best saturation...

Like the subject says, I am looking for the best way to remove some old Econokote from a skinned wing. I am pretty sure this film is the low temp variety.

I want to remove this stuff, it is old and saggy. I plan to glass the skins and need to get all the old stuff off. I started to just pull it back and the clear part of the film started to separate leaving the color stuck to the skin, so I tried briefly to apply heat but it did not seem to help.

Help.

Peace, Wolf
bd5wingnut is offline Find More Posts by bd5wingnut
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 10, 2012, 11:16 AM
Dragons, Windmills. All Same.
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined May 2002
4,096 Posts
Hi,
From what I remember using Econocote back in the 80's, was I never used it on a surface that would want to recover.
Cheap and works great on compound surfaces.
I mostly used in on slope ships, as they did not have much life anyway.
Best to peal and prick off as much as possible then light sand to remove the film. The color usually bonds in the wood.
Recover with a solid color film.

Good luck,
Jared
jcstalls is online now Find More Posts by jcstalls
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 11, 2012, 12:09 AM
Austin, Texas
Joined Dec 2005
254 Posts
Thanx Jared

Sanding looks like the preferred method...

Peace, Wolf
bd5wingnut is offline Find More Posts by bd5wingnut
Old Jun 11, 2012, 05:49 PM
Site Moderator
Joined Oct 2011
133 Posts
Closing this one. Leaving this one open:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1669030
KrisM is offline Find More Posts by KrisM
Administrator
Closed Thread