|Jun 09, 2012, 01:56 PM|
80" WS Depron Vulcan B2
Firstly, if I'm posting in the wrong forum, please let me know.
After a year away from building, the desire to get out the building board has returned!
Friends have asked when and what the next build will be. I think the seed for this one was I fancied trying combining conventional building methods with modern materials like Depron. I’ve built many depron models in the past, parkjets, shockies etc but they’ve all had flat section wings and box-like construction fuselages. I scoured the web and flicked through a few books and one aircraft kept calling. The mighty Vulcan!
Firstly, I cannot claim bragging rights on this build as it has already been done, and done well by Glenn7e.
Credit where credit is due, this guy came up with some brilliant ideas and innovative solutions when he did his build.
If mine comes out half as good as his, then I’ll be more than satisfied. So, on with my attempt……
Well, I say day 1 but the past two days have been spent studying the 3 view drawings of the Vulcan.
Kindly supplied by Glenn, the drawings were emailed to me as tiled A4 images. Rather than possibly build – in discrepancies or innacuracies by sticking loads of A4 tiles together, I spent a few hours in my favourite drawing package and reassembled the tiled images back into one large image. Once I had completed this, I took the whole file to my local printers who plotted them off on A0 sized sheets.
Sized to Glenn’s original 80” wingspan, soon realised that this thing is larger than I imagined. Nevertheless, 80” is the size it’s going to be.
Bearing in mind that the whole model will be constructed from 6mm Depron with 3mm Depron skinning, looked for areas on the drawings where the 3mm skin would need additional support from additional formers.
Nose and Battery Holder.
This is one clever bit of thinking by Glenn. The battery tray, which will become part of the main fuselage slides into a box section within the nose of the aircraft.
My compass cutters were not big enough to cut out the cockpit formers so I had to nip out and buy a cheap set of compasses and substituted the pencil with a slim modellers knife. The formers and the profile cockpit shape (side view and top view) were cut from 6mm depron as were the component parts for the battery compartment.
As a rule of thumb, unless I state differently, I will be using UhU Por Foam-Safe contact adhesive on this build.
I glued the sides and bottom of the battery box and then sanded lightly to ensure the edges were clean and flush. I forgot to mention that I’m using a ‘mat cutter’ for cutting any straight cuts during the build. The cutter ensures a 90 degree cut so butt joints are much better than free-hand cutting with a straight edge and modelling knife. The mat cutter can also cut at 45 degrees. It cost about £10 and included spare blades. I’ll let you know how I get on with it but early indications show it to be spot – on .
So, day one over. Not a lot to show for my efforts but satisfying nonetheless. I can see the build throwing up many challenges but that’s what I enjoy about building.
|Jun 09, 2012, 02:02 PM|
Saturday 9th June
Had about 3 hours working on the build today. I spent a fair bit of time working out how best to lock the nose fuselage parts together. Wherever possible, rather than butt joining the formers onto the keel sections of the fuselage, I wanted to ‘slot and notch’ to offer more rigidity and strength.
Once I had worked out where I needed to notch the formers, dry-fitted the whole lot together to check alignment and I have to say, surprised myself at the strength of the structure before glueing.
Being that this whole section of the fuselage is ‘locked together like a chinese puzzle, had to use foam safe CA glue along all the joints.
I took a couple of pictures to show the formers and keel sections notched out ready for assembly for reference.
Not a lot more to add today. It’s been fiddly but the end results are pleasing and solid.
Day off the build tomorrow so it will probably be Monday or Tuesday before I update the log again.
|Jun 09, 2012, 02:38 PM|
|Jun 09, 2012, 02:55 PM|
Good progress already. What are you going to power it with? You using those Lander fans? How about launching?
Can't wait to see this one come together!!
It's going to make the field look smaller!
|Jun 09, 2012, 03:03 PM|
No Sandracer, keeping it relatively simple. 2 x 450W pushers.....(10 or 11" props) 2 x 2400 3S Lipos.
Hand launch initially but you know me, if the wing loading does work out as low as predicted then who knows, retracts may be a consideration.
|Jun 09, 2012, 03:11 PM|
I know this geezer called Charles who could do you a good deal on a gaggle of thumper golds !!
P.S. watch them retracts they have a habit of falling off on slightly heavy landings.
|Category||Thread||Thread Starter||Forum||Replies||Last Post|
|Sold||MDM Fox 80" WS Gerasis||JosePain||Aircraft - Sailplanes (FS/W)||7||Sep 08, 2011 01:32 PM|
|Discussion||b2 avro vulcan||dentonator||Electric Ducted Fan Jet Talk||4||Aug 12, 2008 12:33 PM|
|Vulcan B2 Park Jet||bigglesjets||Pusher Prop Jet Models||15||Jun 27, 2006 11:57 PM|