SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jun 09, 2012, 01:19 PM
Team Cobra!
USA, VA, Yorktown
Joined Feb 2005
2,629 Posts
Discussion
Update on our Wounded Warrior... not good

Todd sent me this and wanted to spread the word. Any guys in the San Antonio area should give him a shout.

As my surgery went south, things just really changed for us. I'm not even allowed to leave San Antonio or Brooke Army Medical Center. Aprel and Bri will be flown back to get Aprel's car and to load up our 6x12 enclosed trailer with as much stuff we'll need in the next year or so and a few planes.

Even though I thought I'd be on my way back to Benning today, I am no permantly assigned to Brooke Army Medical Center or Sam Houston Army Medical Center (changing the name).

As we met so many caring and concerned people and new friends at SEFF, I wanted to get an update out to everyone I could. I sent a similar email to Jim Graham as I think he runs this site but I'm not sure. Is there anyway you could post our status somewhere it could get the most visibility.

Our new address and contact data is:

MSG Todd Landen
Fisher House 4, RM 411
3623 George C. Beach Ave
Fort Sam Houston, TX 78234

(315)-222-4861/4862 (Todd/Aprel)
todd.landen@us.army.mil
aprel.landen@gmail.com

Would love to meet any RC'ers in the area so feel free to stop on by. I sure want to find somewhere to fly as well as it helps get my mind off the worse pain I'm in now. I'm dying to get a plane in the air. Just wish I had one here.

I realize I'm asking a lot but, I also broke my old phone and lost a lot of contacts, as we learned with yours the other night. I felt you may know a way to get our status our to the masses of great new people we met who we'd hate to lose touch with.

Appreciate anything you could do.

Hope to talk to you and all the folks we met at SEFF soon. I need all the friends I can get now, more than ever. Lot of trying times coming up.

Thanks again.

Todd
FiremanBill is offline Find More Posts by FiremanBill
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 09, 2012, 08:23 PM
Team Cobra!
USA, VA, Yorktown
Joined Feb 2005
2,629 Posts
You know sometimes I think we live in a crappy world, and maybe we do, but today has once again restored my faith in a little piece of humanity anyway.

After I made that post earlier I sent an email to all the AMA club contacts in the area where Todd is. I got an immediate response saying they had spread the word and somebody would be in touch with him. By the time I told Todd that he said he had already gotten several calls and invites to club fields! Kudos to a great bunch of guys down Texas way!

Bering able to have those contacts, and get in touch with those guys down there has made every penny I ever paid to the AMA more that worth it!

Life is good!
Old Jun 15, 2012, 12:22 PM
United States, TX, Schertz
Joined Mar 2006
1,348 Posts
Bill:

Todd should have his orders transferring him from Ft.Benning to San Antonio Military Medical Center (SAMMC) early next week. Aprel and Bri will then go back to Ft. Benning to pack up their house while I keep Todd company. I introduced myself to him on Monday and we have spent three of the last four days doing things. He is in a lot of pain so getting him out of the Fisher House gets his mind off of the pain. I will say this, that when these men and women get injured in combat, it is the family that they lean on and I could not have been more impressed by his wonderful wife and his three wonderful and beautiful dsughters.

Two of the San Antonio clubs (Alamo Radio Control Society (ARCS) and Tri City Flyers (TCF)) have provided free membership to Todd. Todd has flown with the ARCS guys and tomorrow I am taking him flying to the TCF field. Thanks for posting and asking for help. After having spent time with Todd and his family, I am really glad that we in the San Antonio area could help this wounded warrior. It is a pleasure to spend time with he and his family.

I would like to invite other modelers to contact the nearest military installation that has Wounded Warriors and find a way to "adopt" a wounded warrior. I promise you will not be disappointed. It is truly a pleasure to help these men and women who have given so much of themselves for us. It is not my intent to make a political statement and whether you agree with what our politicians are doing is not what this is about. This is about giving something back to those that have given of themselves in service to our country. As a Vietnam era veteran and having been thru that era is truly refreshing to see what many in our country are doing for our wounded veterans.

Please find a wounded warrior to help. It will make your heart happy

Ed
A10pilot is offline Find More Posts by A10pilot
Old Jun 15, 2012, 12:28 PM
Team Cobra!
USA, VA, Yorktown
Joined Feb 2005
2,629 Posts
Ed, Thank you so much. My heart has been touched by the response Todd has received from you guys.

AWESOME, AWESOME, AWESOME!!!
Old Jun 15, 2012, 12:38 PM
United States, TX, Schertz
Joined Mar 2006
1,348 Posts
Bill:

You are more than welcome and we in San Antonio are more than happy to do what we can to help him. He should be coming over today to get some planes ready to fly tomorrow.

Ed
A10pilot is offline Find More Posts by A10pilot