HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 07, 2003, 06:42 AM
Joined Jun 2003
55 Posts
First Giant Scale Warbird?

Anybody got a suggestion? Thinking about Skyraiders...
bob hicks is offline Find More Posts by bob hicks
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 07, 2003, 07:42 AM
Out of Time
United States, TX
Joined Jul 2003
1,092 Posts
You don't state the qualifications that you want to meet (size, complexity, ease of flying, which war?, if this is your first giant scale or if you have flown giant scale before,... stuff like that).

But in general, I'd go with a WWII fixed gear model like the PT-19 as your first warbird (and if you haven't flown much giant scale).
If you're already into giant scale and are a capable builder and flyer, then a Ziroli Corsair might be just the ticket to make things exciting.

I'll bet, however, that since you already mentioned a Skyraider, that's where you're heading. Right?

The Skyraider is as good as any so go with it.

Highflight
Highflight is offline Find More Posts by Highflight
Old Nov 07, 2003, 08:33 AM
Joined Jun 2003
55 Posts
Warbirds

Sorry for being so generic! Here's a little "detail":
1. Currently built and flying: Kadet-.51 ringed, Stinger 1.20-1.08 FXS, Clipped wing Taylorcraft- G23, Ultra-stik 60-.91, Ultimate Bipe 120, Saito 1.50., Mariner 40-.46, 12 various electrics, 1 lite machines heli.
2. Crashed GP PT-19, 1.20 Magnum 4s. Aileron hinges pulled out.
3. On the table: 85" scratch Eindecker EIII, US 35 gas, GP Lancair, Balsa USA Neiuport 17, G26.
4. I'm looking for a" Pride of my fleet Warbird" to take to meets and compete. My building and flying skills are probably about average. My shop is fully equipped.
5. Budget is not a big factor $1,500.00- $3,000.00 maybe.
6. Definately needs to be reasonably easy to fly, and have retracts.
7. Partial to Skyraider and Corsair looks/history.

Thanks!
Old Nov 07, 2003, 09:39 AM
Out of Time
United States, TX
Joined Jul 2003
1,092 Posts
With all that in mind, either the Skyraider or Corsair would fit your wants, although I think you might find that the Corsair is a handful to fly.

Also, there's been a LOT of Corsairs done and you might want to do something that isn't so common (as far as warbirds go). Still a pretty airplane, it's too common as far as models go.
The Skyraider's a good subject, but I personally think it's not an attractive aircraft (although let's not start a flame war here... I know: "Beauty is in the eye...".

I would only add and suggest that you also consider the BeechCraft T-34 which was a nice flying warbird trainer, and especially look at the T-28 Trojan which is distinguished by it's history in that it was originally ordered by the military to replace the AT-6 trainer but turned out to be such a capable aircraft in it's own right that it was also fitted with hard points for weapons and used in combat in Vietnam. Not bad for a "trainer".

I vote T-28 in Vietnam combat colors and weaponry rigging.
Now you vote.

Highflight

I edited to add this link: http://www.t28.com/
Last edited by Highflight; Nov 07, 2003 at 09:42 AM.
Old Nov 07, 2003, 10:08 AM
Out of Time
United States, TX
Joined Jul 2003
1,092 Posts
Here's one of the T-28 that shows it's potential as a warbird model.

Highflight
Old Nov 07, 2003, 12:23 PM
Joined Jun 2003
55 Posts
WOW! It IS nice looking. Is there a KIt producer you would recommend?
I know about the Corsair being a handfull.
The T-28 could definately be a contender if it flies anything like the Skyraider.
Old Nov 07, 2003, 06:34 PM
Out of Time
United States, TX
Joined Jul 2003
1,092 Posts
Well, you got your good news and you got your bad news.

I don't give much thought to kits or plans when I consider a subject because I draw my own plans for the most part. That's why I didn't even think of plans/kit availability when I suggested it.

So the bad news is that I don't recall any giant scale kits or plans at the moment but that doesn't mean that there aren't any.
There is a mention of a giant T-28 here: http://www.modelaircraft.org/mag/1003/toc.htm so maybe you can chase down the builder and get some more info.

The good news is that the T-28 would be a great project BECAUSE there aren't that many giants of them around, and good 3-views (all that's needed to draw the plans) are definitely available.

That's all I got.

Highflight
Old Nov 11, 2003, 02:37 AM
Joined Sep 2003
64 Posts
T-28 Kits

Use the link below to find an Iron Bay (former Byron) 97" T-28 and it is beautiful.

http://www.ironbaymodelcompany.com/W...T-28Trojan.htm
GIJon is offline Find More Posts by GIJon
Last edited by GIJon; Dec 06, 2003 at 08:38 AM.
Old Nov 11, 2003, 06:03 AM
Joined Jun 2003
55 Posts
THANK YOU! I'll contact them today...the site is very interesting!
I need to talk to someone who's buit their kit...
Old Nov 29, 2003, 10:58 PM
Dallas Intl, Texas, United States
Joined Oct 2003
106 Posts
If you decide on a T-28 and are interested, I have a couple of pictures of T-28's in Laotian livery. The aircraft were part of Det 1, 56th Special Ops Wing stationed at Udorn, Thailand (early 1970's) and throughout the many forward strips we used in Laos. The aircraft were painted gray with the red and white Laotian National emblem (three elephants), on the side. You would have to do a few mods, as the kit mentioned above is of a B model and our aircraft were D, D-5 and D-10's.
ace-shooter is offline Find More Posts by ace-shooter
Old Dec 04, 2003, 09:39 AM
Joined Jun 2003
55 Posts
Thanks ! Love to see em'...
Old Dec 05, 2003, 08:57 PM
Joined Oct 2003
106 Posts
Check out: http://www.geocities.com/Pentagon/Qu...553/index.html
This link will show you a couple of different T-28 configurations and also check out the T-28 Tangos listed under Norm Crocker's links. The picture of the T-28 at Udorn was taken by me in 1972. If you are still favoring the A-1 (big, beautiful and massively powerful) check out the link to the Skyraider Association. Some great pics, videos and stories. One of the most under-rated aircraft of the VietNam conflict. It's extended loiter ability saved alot of downed pilots waiting for the SAR helicopters to arrive.

Enjoy and good luck,
Larry
Old Dec 06, 2003, 06:13 AM
Joined Jun 2003
55 Posts
Awesome! I'vw bitten the bullet and ordered the A-1 from American Eagle..'glass fuse,foam wings and feathers. I have no idea what I'm getting into, but plan to use VA-75 markings, Quadra 75. Anyone with servo placement and control ideas would be a great help!
Thanks again! Bob
Old Dec 06, 2003, 08:03 AM
Joined Oct 2003
106 Posts
Be sure to check out the Skyraider Association web site. Some of the USAF marking are very well shown in the image galleries. I was USAF for 20 years and am partial to the AF camoflague. Please keep me on your mailing list, I would like to follow your progress.
Larry
Old Jan 04, 2004, 06:33 PM
USA, AZ, Phoenix
Joined May 2003
3,062 Posts
Started work on it yet?

Jerry
tailskid2 is offline Find More Posts by tailskid2
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Is it possible to lose weight?