Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Aug 03, 2012, 04:51 PM
Team30 Micro EDF
Adelaide, Australia
Joined Apr 2004
11,181 Posts
90mm(flat) battery heatshrink, clear from ebay. I'm going to try 85mm if I can get it as I have to fiddle with the nose area to get a clean curve over because it doesn't shrink enough. 2 more mm shrinkage would be perfect.
NitroCharged is offline Find More Posts by NitroCharged
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 04, 2012, 01:55 AM
Joined Jun 2007
239 Posts
90mm you mean width, not diameter, right?
vadimpelau is offline Find More Posts by vadimpelau
Old Aug 04, 2012, 02:59 AM
Team30 Micro EDF
Adelaide, Australia
Joined Apr 2004
11,181 Posts
correct.
Old Aug 04, 2012, 04:24 AM
Joined Aug 2011
769 Posts
Here's a couple of pics to show that "Nitro's MIG Bra" fits perfectly.

jim350 is offline Find More Posts by jim350
Old Aug 04, 2012, 05:36 AM
Australia, QLD, Rockhampton
Joined Jul 2012
34 Posts
Phew....fixed my broken and bruised Mig and now it flies very well. Its such a great feeling to fix a broken plane and see it fly once again. Job well done.

Crash report:
1) Nose completely broken clean behind the plastic cowling that a stuck earlier.
2) Horizontal stabilizer creased and broken.
3) Right wing loose from the fuse.
4) Big time scratched bottom.

-Fixed the nose and wing with some epoxy.
-Couldnt find CF strips like what pugsam used. So cut thin strips from an old store card and fixed them with some epoxy to the horizontal stabilizer. It is really stiff now. Nice.
Few mechanical trimming after first flight and now it is all set for new challenges.
The CG is way back now but have tried to add down elevator trim to counter for the tail heavy flight. Have not tried inverted flight and probably will not risk it.

But am sooooo happy the Mig is airborne again. I am truly enjoying flying it now.
risingstar is offline Find More Posts by risingstar
Old Aug 04, 2012, 05:38 AM
Joined Jul 2012
34 Posts
Nice work Nitrocharged. Hope you could add a video of this really clever technique.

Are you a dentist by any chance? (Working with alginate and plaster?)
Old Aug 04, 2012, 06:00 AM
Joined Jul 2012
34 Posts
@ pugsam

the problem i had with using a rod or strip across the horizontal stab was that the stab would now crease and break at the tip of the reinforcement. This happened to mine, so I know. (But ofcourse I have the skills to crash more violently and more frequently than any RC pilot in the world )

So I used my reinforcements along the leading edge of the horizontal stab(in addition to across the stab). This seems to stop the creasing and breaking of the delicate stab.

Cheers.
Old Aug 04, 2012, 06:09 AM
Team30 Micro EDF
Adelaide, Australia
Joined Apr 2004
11,181 Posts
Nice fit Jim.

Looks like I need a new nose to help as a guide to cut the intake out.

RS - not a dentist but by the way they live in luxury around here I should become one!
Old Aug 04, 2012, 06:19 AM
LiPo-Sucker & Airframe EMT
Charlottesville, Virginia, USA
Joined Aug 2010
3,464 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by risingstar View Post
@ pugsam
the problem i had with using a rod or strip across the horizontal stab was that the stab would now crease and break at the tip of the reinforcement. This happened to mine, so I know. (But ofcourse I have the skills to crash more violently and more frequently than any RC pilot in the world )
So I used my reinforcements along the leading edge of the horizontal stab(in addition to across the stab). This seems to stop the creasing and breaking of the delicate stab.
Cheers.
Hmmmm.......I haven't had that problem (yet).

But you've given me something to think about......I'm gonna take another look at those horiizontal stab tips.

Thanks,

Dave

pugsam is online now Find More Posts by pugsam
Old Aug 04, 2012, 09:14 AM
Joined Jun 2007
239 Posts
So, now to list my mods.

First of all, I didn't use carbon rods for the tail reinforcement since I'm more woried about the horizontal fin breaking than flexing. I used a transparent plastic packaging film cut to shape and attached it with CA.
Note: You have to use one continuous strip for both wings.
The plastic strip must be able to fit through the vertical fin and must be already glued to one of the horizontal fins or it will be impossible to align the symmetrically.

Then I turned my "hatch" into a magnetic one since I'm waiting for my x-port to usb adapter that, in time, I hope will be able to do more than reverse the gyros. It's also useful for my next mod.
To do this you will need strong neodymium magnets of 2mm in diameter and 1 mm thickness for the cover and 3 mm thickness for the fuselage.
Simply CA the 2x1 ones on the cover then put it on and press gently to create small marks for the 2x3 ones on the fuselage.
Then with a needle or a sharp tip of some kind make 2 mm holes in the center of the indentations. Add some CA on the bottom of thr 2x3 mm magnets and slide them in. make sure no CA made in on top and attach the cover and press the new magnet until it has reached the proper depth. repeat 8 to 10 times.
Note: cheap N35 magnets will do, but you have to use 3 mm long ones for the fuselage since the 1mm ones will "get lost" inside the foam. I only used 1mm ones and in some places there's as much as 4 magnets in the frame. Also mind the polarity, you don't want them rejecting each other.

This is my second fuselage since the first one had a few nose dives and constant landings on rough grass have simply scraped away piece by piece a large chunk of the nose.
Note that this is in no way a replacement for the nose "shield" as hard landings might still damage it, but it's great as a bumper that can absorb impacts and also glide on rough terrain.
Should you use the right thickness of elastic straps, the small holes for the nose wheel will both hold it in place and let go as much as necessary on a rough landing.
I got this piece from the plastic that a new fuselage comes packed in.

vadimpelau is offline Find More Posts by vadimpelau
Last edited by vadimpelau; Aug 21, 2012 at 01:14 AM.
Old Aug 04, 2012, 05:17 PM
Joined Sep 2010
3,724 Posts
Where does the cg want to be?

Just picked up a crunched mig at the field this morning. Owner fed up and wanted out at a price I couldn't resist. Nose all in pieces, but everything else seems fine except I did break the nose wheel wire trying to straighten it out a bit. But a bit of hot melt and some blenderm has the nose back together now (won't win any beauty contests, but it's intact) and I am wondering if I put too much extra in the front. Thought you guys would know where it works best and I can do what I need to get there. With the battery all the way back it seems pretty close to the factory recommendation, but I would rather here where the troops like it.
bobly is offline Find More Posts by bobly
Old Aug 04, 2012, 06:38 PM
Team30 Micro EDF
Adelaide, Australia
Joined Apr 2004
11,181 Posts
Nice bash plate vadimpelau!

bobly, the recommended CG works fine and it is forgiving if you're a tad nose heavy.
Old Aug 05, 2012, 06:51 PM
No hangar is big enough.....
Canada, ON, London
Joined Aug 2010
22 Posts
I picked up Tamiya Clear Acrylic X-22. I haven't tested it yet. Will this work? If so, what do I thin it with? What ratio? And how much do I mix? ( I'll probably do several models at the same time)

Sorry for all the questions. I just picked up a basic Badger airbrush and this'll be my first time painting. I was thinking of putting a few coats on all planes, not just belly landers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroCharged View Post
I used Tamiya Semi Gloss clear coat. 5 light coats - just enough to see that wet look each time. Negligible weight gain.
RC Aviator is offline Find More Posts by RC Aviator
Old Aug 05, 2012, 07:07 PM
No hangar is big enough.....
Canada, ON, London
Joined Aug 2010
22 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroCharged View Post
Aviator, all the fans you listed are way too big. That's why I thought you had a 35mm Skyangel. You need a 28mm max to fit into the fuse.
Sorry I wasn't more clear. Me bad.

Would you recommend using the stock motor and fan? How about the Rx, Sx and ESC from HK? I just want to keep it simple but 3s, if that makes sense.

How do you find it flies without AS3X?
RC Aviator is offline Find More Posts by RC Aviator
Old Aug 05, 2012, 07:13 PM
Team30 Micro EDF
Adelaide, Australia
Joined Apr 2004
11,181 Posts
I have to say that question is beyond me as I only use the foam safe stuff in a can.