Old Feb 06, 2013, 10:53 AM
France, Aquitaine, Agen
Joined Mar 2009
59 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pirulin View Post
Thanks a lot for these greats datas.
Found on RCG :
I think this type of connection as shown below is ingenious to flash, it avoids having to solder on the board of the ESC.
Look at the principle, I think it can be adapted with a piece of test card type "veroboard" on which is safely solder three rigid pins to connect the flash sticker. Then, after assembly on a clothespin it becomes quicker to flash.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/attac...mentid=4365679

http://static.rcgroups.net/forums/at...g?d=1319318504
Below here there are some pics about what I explained before for the principle,
I'am waiting for an USB flash adapter to try that.
pirulin is offline Find More Posts by pirulin
Last edited by pirulin; Feb 06, 2013 at 02:53 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 06, 2013, 11:55 AM
just go fly...
United States, CA, Palo Alto
Joined Dec 2012
283 Posts
Quote:
Below here there are some pics about what I explained before
pirulin,

thanks that is interesting. seems more for mass production than for a casual user. i can solder a lead to an XP12a in about 60sec. making a tool and prefecting it could take me an hour or so. for those who are considering it, note, once you flash your XP12a, there should be no need to go back in and do it again anytime soon. seriously, one and done. the FW is that mature. in the early days of BLHeli, there were updates offen and most were significant enough to warrant a re-flash. things are more stable now in the BLHeli Fireware world and r9.4 is all the XP12a needs to be reliable in the 1:1MIG15.

lastly, the pinout used in those images is not the pinout recommended for the 12XPa in the official BLHeli docs (the correct pin out is in my video and i will post it here if anyone asks for it). that pinout may work, but i can't confirm it personally. just making sure no one cooks their ESC pirulin.
fluxnstuff is offline Find More Posts by fluxnstuff
Old Feb 06, 2013, 02:46 PM
Denmark, Kastrup
Joined Jan 2013
5 Posts
How do you measure the temperatures on the batteries, motor, brick, ESC and so on?
Hasselg is offline Find More Posts by Hasselg
Old Feb 06, 2013, 02:48 PM
Diverted by planks
South Florida
Joined Dec 2010
4,982 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hasselg View Post
How do you measure the temperatures on the batteries, motor, brick, ESC and so on?
Sumthin like this:

http://www.dynamiterc.com/Products/D...ProdID=DYN2529
tracknoob is offline Find More Posts by tracknoob
Old Feb 06, 2013, 03:17 PM
France, Aquitaine, Agen
Joined Mar 2009
59 Posts
"Originally Posted by fluxnstuff
thanks that is interesting. seems more for mass production than for a casual user. i can solder a lead to an XP12a in about 60sec. making a tool and prefecting it could take me an hour or so. for those who are considering it, note, once you flash your XP12a, there should be no need to go back in and do it again anytime soon. seriously, one and done. the FW is that mature. in the early days of BLHeli, there were updates offen and most were significant enough to warrant a re-flash. things are more stable now in the BLHeli Fireware world and r9.4 is all the XP12a needs to be reliable in the 1:1MIG15.

lastly, the pinout used in those images is not the pinout recommended for the 12XPa in the official BLHeli docs (the correct pin out is in my video and i will post it here if anyone asks for it). that pinout may work, but i can't confirm it personally. just making sure no one cooks their ESC pirulin."

Yes exact, pictures corrected.
About making an adapter : for me it's a bit tiny to solder wire here on my ESC (only 1,5mm center distance between the black and the white wire) , so I prefer the removable adapter solution no risk to fry an ESC some guys use that it works.
I don't advise anyone, I transmits the info.
Using soldered connectors add weight to the ESC and takes place, but, after the flash (unless you've a problem with the result) wires can be unsoldered...Everyone is free to choose.

For the pad place below a picture :
NB : About removing the capacitor see the datas on the thread
http://www.helifreak.com/attachment....1&d=1330623799

For thoose who can be interested : The BLHELI thread you'll find links to Github (one of the code conceptor) and SiLabs (programmable chip) :
http://helifreak.com/showthread.php?p=3707691&page=70
Last edited by pirulin; Feb 06, 2013 at 03:30 PM.
Old Feb 06, 2013, 04:00 PM
just go fly...
Joined Dec 2012
283 Posts
Quote:
"
For the pad place below a picture :
NB : About removing the capacitor see the datas on the thread
pirulin, what does "NB" mean?

that picture is old, the capacitor is no longer required to be removed.

background: when the MCPX was new (the v1 boards) you had to remove that capacitor to get the throttle signal timing right. for our 1:1MIG15 application it is not necessary to remove it. also the MCPX v2 boards (only type available now) you also don't need to remove the capacitor. hope that clarifies.
Old Feb 06, 2013, 04:38 PM
France, Aquitaine, Agen
Joined Mar 2009
59 Posts
Fluxnstuff:
NB : abbreviation for latin "Nota Bene" (I thank it could be said in English also) so signifies like "take note"
Thank you for your clarification on the capacitor
Old Feb 07, 2013, 12:49 PM
just go fly...
Joined Dec 2012
283 Posts
some quick shots of last nights tests...

in this corner the undefeated champion, Castle Creations Phx 25
VS
the challenger, the Oversky XP-12a with BLHeli r9.4

Setup:
* hp06v2 16200kv
* AEO shroud
* AEO 7 blade (fresh out of the box)
* Thunder Power 325mAh 2S 65c
* in fuselage
* 75F/24C ambient temp
* no airflow over components

Monitoring Equipment:
* Watts Up Meter
* AEO K2 KV/RPM Meter
* Infrared Thermometer
* Digital scale

initial impressions: i still need to map the thrust vector on a chart, but you dont need excel to tell that the XP12a is still the better pound for pound fighter and hitting WAY above its weight class (read: light weight fighting in middle weight division and holding its own). even if i add those baby heat sinks (1.1g) to the XP12a it is still 3grams lighter than the Phx25.

the Phx25 is a solid middle weight, it preforms the same task with ease where the XP12a is flirting with the redline. as a result the Phx25 turns in slightly better numbers @ ~7000 more rpm than the XP12a and slightly more thrust.

i would add, that these type of bench tests are the most difficult situations for these ESCs. in the air the load will be lower and the additional air flow will significantly lower the operating temps. that said both test units preformed consistently for 3 batteries each.

XP12a BLHeli r9.4:
90,780RPM
12673KV
13.84amps
158F/70C (no heat sinks added)
6grams stripped

Phx25
97,260PRM
14983KV
15.16amps
120F/49c
10.5grams stripped

graphing the data will tell the final story... more to come.
Last edited by fluxnstuff; Feb 07, 2013 at 12:56 PM.
Old Feb 08, 2013, 09:31 AM
just go fly...
Joined Dec 2012
283 Posts
you can now get a XP-12a flashed with the 1:1MIG15 settings from Astroid-Designs for $22.00 USD.
http://astroid-designs.myshopify.com...p-12a-1-3s-esc

make sure you add the XP-12a "flashing service - fluxNsuff EDF" to your cart.
http://astroid-designs.myshopify.com...ashing-service

FYI: this is the flashing service only. you will still need to follow step by step "how to add an ESC to your UMX MIG15" video to mate it to your "brick", but you will NOT need to do the steps of 1) add a flashing port to the ESC. 2) running the PC based BLHeli software. or 3) load in and write any settings to the ESC.
Old Feb 08, 2013, 04:06 PM
France, Aquitaine, Agen
Joined Mar 2009
59 Posts
Fluxnstuff, you spent a lot of time, thank you

I'am waiting for an adapter from, Oversky, but i don't understand what they mean writing :

" C2CK and C2DAT on our program stick tool has been exchanged "
But when, compared to what???
Seing the pics below, does the wiring instructions I added white on black
next to the schema are correct? It seems to the pics found on android's, I did not find it on the links listed on post above/before, do the stick is actually really wired like these pics?
Old Feb 08, 2013, 04:15 PM
just go fly...
Joined Dec 2012
283 Posts
Quote:

I'am waiting for an adapter from, Oversky, but i don't understand what they mean writing :

next to the schema are correct? It seems to the pics found on android's, I did not find it on the links listed on post above/before, do the stick is actually really wired like these pics?
i have no clue what that is about... i will check it against my oversky tool stick and report back.

you can get the oversky tool stick from AstroidDesign or Topcopter too.
Old Feb 08, 2013, 04:26 PM
France, Aquitaine, Agen
Joined Mar 2009
59 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluxnstuff View Post
i have no clue what that is about... i will check it against my oversky tool stick and report back.

you can get the oversky tool stick from AstroidDesign or Topcopter too.

Yes, but, Its unaviable temporaly from astroid,and out of stock for topcopter...
Old Feb 10, 2013, 11:33 AM
Joined Dec 2010
116 Posts
fluxnstuff,

Great information! Thank you for sharing!

About the parts, besides the XP-12, where is a good online place to buy the AEO Shroud and Fan?

About the HP06V2 motor, you mentioned it has to have a 12mm shaft length, I am having a hard time finding that one as well... By the way what is the correct shaft diameter? I could only find it with 1.5mm...

Can you please point us in the right direction?

Thank you again!

Best,
Daniel

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluxnstuff View Post
some quick shots of last nights tests...

in this corner the undefeated champion, Castle Creations Phx 25
VS
the challenger, the Oversky XP-12a with BLHeli r9.4

Setup:
* hp06v2 16200kv
* AEO shroud
* AEO 7 blade (fresh out of the box)
* Thunder Power 325mAh 2S 65c
* in fuselage
* 75F/24C ambient temp
* no airflow over components

Monitoring Equipment:
* Watts Up Meter
* AEO K2 KV/RPM Meter
* Infrared Thermometer
* Digital scale

initial impressions: i still need to map the thrust vector on a chart, but you dont need excel to tell that the XP12a is still the better pound for pound fighter and hitting WAY above its weight class (read: light weight fighting in middle weight division and holding its own). even if i add those baby heat sinks (1.1g) to the XP12a it is still 3grams lighter than the Phx25.

the Phx25 is a solid middle weight, it preforms the same task with ease where the XP12a is flirting with the redline. as a result the Phx25 turns in slightly better numbers @ ~7000 more rpm than the XP12a and slightly more thrust.

i would add, that these type of bench tests are the most difficult situations for these ESCs. in the air the load will be lower and the additional air flow will significantly lower the operating temps. that said both test units preformed consistently for 3 batteries each.

XP12a BLHeli r9.4:
90,780RPM
12673KV
13.84amps
158F/70C (no heat sinks added)
6grams stripped

Phx25
97,260PRM
14983KV
15.16amps
120F/49c
10.5grams stripped

graphing the data will tell the final story... more to come.
dgomes is offline Find More Posts by dgomes
Old Feb 10, 2013, 04:44 PM
France, Aquitaine, Agen
Joined Mar 2009
59 Posts
Quote:

According to this thread here, and to the .pdf file attached, my colours wire indications above (POST #820) seems to be right and also those indicated on android's shop.

We can find also the flash plug at HobbyKing (out of stock)

Regards
Old Feb 11, 2013, 06:23 PM
just go fly...
Joined Dec 2012
283 Posts
update... i attempted to fly a stock brick with stock motor with AEO 7 blade. i could not get it in the air before the stock ESC cut off. i benched the step and the stock ESC cuts out at exactly 6.5 amps and the 7 blade draws 7.93amps. also the stock ESC has a temp cut off of around 195F. in testing i bounced up against both of those limits.

the good news? i did not take no for an answer. i put in an xp12a and flew it again. it was *VERY* happy in the air using the TP325 2S 65c. 2:30-3:00 flight times WOT. loops were not an issue. pulls all the way thru. clocked in at ~50 mph. even carring a 20g wingcam1, however you have to glue the 7 blade fan on, mine flew off twice and embedded itself into the foam. no damage to the fan or the foam, but it causes you to have to pull an emergency landing. as you can see in this video...

Onboard Camera 7 blade UMX MIG15 (3 min 22 sec)

AUW w/ camera (as flown in this video) 120g. Camera Package weighs 20g with a small Hyp240 battery installed.

setup:
stock EDF
AEO 7 blade fan
xp12a ESC

Peak thrust: 70g
AUW: 99.5g (120g with a lightened wingcam1 installed)
RCSpeedo: 49mph (in a slight dive)

advice:
get an extra 7 blade fan and CA one of them to the stock motor. have a blast. IMHO this does not work on the stock brick. however, putting a xp12a in there, makes it 100% reliable.
Last edited by fluxnstuff; Feb 12, 2013 at 03:34 PM.