HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Dec 24, 2012, 07:08 PM
Have fun
airpower's Avatar
Joined May 2007
6,259 Posts
Why not have spoilerons instead of flaperons? How wouldd that add wieght to what you have already done?
airpower is offline Find More Posts by airpower
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 25, 2012, 05:20 AM
Registered User
Joined Jun 2007
239 Posts
Hmmm... what we have here is failure to communicate... thanks to me because I seem to be confusing flaperons with spoilerons.

Yes, what I have called flaps/flaperons are actually spoilerons. Both ailerons go up and that's what I use.
Flaperons are very limited because the servos are offset. They certainly are of no real use.

Sorry for mixing apples and oranges. If there are any other noobs like me out here, I found a pretty good video that will clearly explain flaps, ailerons, spoilerons, flaperons, AoA, high alpha etc: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...b4dqZWU#at=565
vadimpelau is offline Find More Posts by vadimpelau
Last edited by vadimpelau; Dec 25, 2012 at 06:07 AM.
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 25, 2012, 09:30 AM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
turboparker's Avatar
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
12,493 Posts
That changes things a bit. Hence, why we thought the idea was a bit daft. Guess we can ignore the last x number of pages.

Merry Christmas everyone!

Joel
turboparker is offline Find More Posts by turboparker
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 25, 2012, 08:58 PM
Registered User
United States, TN, Jackson
Joined Mar 2007
4,025 Posts
Vad---Did you do the strengthening mods to the horizontal stab???...These really must be done to keep the horizontal stab from damage...

Seriously, I can bring her in low and slow, windy or not, and just plop her in at my feet...Yes, some snow would get into the duct even plopping her in---But that's to be expected...You really need to practice getting this plane nose high and slow...As far as obstacles I have houses, iron fences, trees, and a pond in my landing pattern yet I can still manage to fly the pattern within those confines and plop her down at my feet...With no mods to the plane..

Kevin
Kevin Greene is offline Find More Posts by Kevin Greene
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2012, 05:56 AM
Registered User
Joined Jun 2007
239 Posts
As of Sunday my horizontal stabilizer is made out of 1mm cf with the inside cut out and covered with tape. It has the same weight as the plastic reinforced one, the only problem are the elevators which I can't make light enough so they're still the original ones.

I'll probably stick to CF since the default ones are much too fragile. My only problem is the hinging tape (duct tape actually) that doesn't hold right so I ordered both a CA hinging sheet and hinging tape (3M blenderm), but if you know a better brand please tell me.
vadimpelau is offline Find More Posts by vadimpelau
Last edited by vadimpelau; Dec 26, 2012 at 06:02 AM.
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2012, 03:29 PM
Registered User
United States, TN, Jackson
Joined Mar 2007
4,025 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vadimpelau View Post
As of Sunday my horizontal stabilizer is made out of 1mm cf with the inside cut out and covered with tape. It has the same weight as the plastic reinforced one, the only problem are the elevators which I can't make light enough so they're still the original ones.

I'll probably stick to CF since the default ones are much too fragile. My only problem is the hinging tape (duct tape actually) that doesn't hold right so I ordered both a CA hinging sheet and hinging tape (3M blenderm), but if you know a better brand please tell me.
Old floppy disk material makes nice hinges...I don't know what size carbon fiber rod I used but I was able to actually slide it inside if the foam and into the stab...

Kevin
Kevin Greene is offline Find More Posts by Kevin Greene
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2012, 07:27 PM
Registered User
Valkpilot's Avatar
Joined Mar 2012
757 Posts
Thermal Question

Is it ok to fly stock setup and batteries at temps between 40 and 30 degrees
Farenheight? I know it shortens the flight time, but by how much?
Valkpilot is offline Find More Posts by Valkpilot
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2012, 08:52 PM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
turboparker's Avatar
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
12,493 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valkpilot View Post
Is it ok to fly stock setup and batteries at temps between 40 and 30 degrees
Farenheight? I know it shortens the flight time, but by how much?
There is no simple number, as there are a few variables involved. You'll have to fly some short flights & do a bit of experimenting. Whatever you do, don't charge your packs to 4.2V/cell & then let them cool down to 40 F or lower, as they will be severely overcharged at that temp - which causes immediate & irreversible cell damage. Many modern chargers have a cold-wx charge setting just for that purpose. Always keep your packs nice & warm until you use them. A higher throttle-setting will often provide longer flights, as higher current means higher internal cell temp.

The best thing to do when flying in the cold is to get rid of the factory pack & use a premium pack with low internal resistance, such as Hyperion. Eflite's UM cells & packs have always been very poor performers in the cold. Hyperion UM cells & packs have always been been the top performers in the cold.

Remember that in cold wx, a pack may hit LVC well-before the 80% discharge point, but the damage will still be the same as if you over-discharged it.

Joel
turboparker is offline Find More Posts by turboparker
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2012, 09:30 PM
Parkzone junkie
kalmon's Avatar
United States, MI, Grand Traverse
Joined Oct 2008
3,757 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valkpilot View Post
Is it ok to fly stock setup and batteries at temps between 40 and 30 degrees
Farenheight? I know it shortens the flight time, but by how much?
I just flew my mig today (18* F) on a 3S Hyperion 180. I flew 20sec less than my normal flight time to make sure the pack wasn't overstressed. It is exposed to the outside air so it cools quite quickly when its flying. Like Joel said keep the packs warm as much as possible. I keep mine in my pocket.

-Brian
kalmon is offline Find More Posts by kalmon
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2012, 09:38 PM
Canadian Bacon
flypaper 2's Avatar
Kingston, Canada
Joined Jun 2004
13,219 Posts
I believe you have that backwards with the batts, Turbo. If you have a very cold batt. and charge it up to 4.2 volts, then take it off the charger, the voltage will keep climbing over the safe 4.2 volts and be damaged from over voltage if your lucky enough not to have it catch fire from the higher voltage. One of the FMA chargers has the temp device in it that would not charge to full voltage if it was below something around 40 degs F . Had that happen it the clubhouse when I went to charge some batts when the charger was on the cement floor. When I put the charger up on a picnic table where it was warmer, and it came up to temp, it charged the batts to the 4.2 volts.

Gord.
flypaper 2 is offline Find More Posts by flypaper 2
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2012, 02:10 AM
Registered User
Valkpilot's Avatar
Joined Mar 2012
757 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboparker View Post
There is no simple number, as there are a few variables involved. You'll have to fly some short flights & do a bit of experimenting. Whatever you do, don't charge your packs to 4.2V/cell & then let them cool down to 40 F or lower, as they will be severely overcharged at that temp - which causes immediate & irreversible cell damage. Many modern chargers have a cold-wx charge setting just for that purpose. Always keep your packs nice & warm until you use them. A higher throttle-setting will often provide longer flights, as higher current means higher internal cell temp.

The best thing to do when flying in the cold is to get rid of the factory pack & use a premium pack with low internal resistance, such as Hyperion. Eflite's UM cells & packs have always been very poor performers in the cold. Hyperion UM cells & packs have always been been the top performers in the cold.

Remember that in cold wx, a pack may hit LVC well-before the 80% discharge point, but the damage will still be the same as if you over-discharged it.

Joel
So whic ones and were to get them?
Valkpilot is offline Find More Posts by Valkpilot
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2012, 04:53 AM
Registered User
Joined Jun 2007
239 Posts
I fly in 20-25 F for a few weeks now and keeping them in your pocket is good enough.
I also charged them at the field in those temps and had no issues.
Just don't let a battery charged inside, cool too much outside. Flying will both discharge and warm it up.

I fly cheapo turingy 300 mAh packs and with the 35C ones the motor starts making a humming sound with maximum throttle when nearing 80%. The 45C ones run fine.
vadimpelau is offline Find More Posts by vadimpelau
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2012, 05:01 PM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
turboparker's Avatar
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
12,493 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flypaper 2 View Post
I believe you have that backwards with the batts, Turbo. If you have a very cold batt. and charge it up to 4.2 volts, then take it off the charger, the voltage will keep climbing over the safe 4.2 volts and be damaged from over voltage if your lucky enough not to have it catch fire from the higher voltage. One of the FMA chargers has the temp device in it that would not charge to full voltage if it was below something around 40 degs F . Had that happen it the clubhouse when I went to charge some batts when the charger was on the cement floor. When I put the charger up on a picnic table where it was warmer, and it came up to temp, it charged the batts to the 4.2 volts.

Gord.
Gord,

Either scenario will result in an overcharged pack. Charging indoors to 4.2V/cell & allowing the core temp to fall to 40 F or lower will cause overcharge damage, as a full charge at that temp is more like 3.9V.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valkpilot View Post
So whic ones and were to get them?
The TP 325 65c packs provide the highest thrust-to-weight of any pack that will fit the MiG. That's what I fly. You can get them many places online. HH sells them too. Do a web search & you'll find plenty of sources. If you want the lightest, highest-performance pack & don't mind paying a bit more for the lighter weight, order some lightweight TP 325s from RCBabbel.

Joel
turboparker is offline Find More Posts by turboparker
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 05, 2013, 04:55 PM
just go fly...
fluxnstuff's Avatar
United States, CA, Palo Alto
Joined Dec 2012
292 Posts
Park Flyer Plastic protective nose cap and wing tips

hey guys,

Sparky from Park Flyer Plastics has knocked up some excellent nose caps and wing tips for us. he sent me some and I have been testing them for the last 2 weeks. I am happy to report they preform outstandingly and are now for sale. (note: I am not affiliated with Park Flyer, just helped him test them out.)

some features:
1) the nose cap is long enough to cover the leading edge of the canopy. no more tape or rubberbands to keep the canopy secure.

2) they are press fit on a new undamaged fuselage and if you have a banged up fuselage it is usually still press fit or a tiny bit of 3M Blenderm tape is all that is needed to secure it. really nice detail too, Sparky captured all the panel lines.

3) crash worthy, I have beaten mine up to no end and the nose cap only cracked after i had a direct hit into a building at 75% throttle. these things are tough and as long as you hit grass, they will not break (in my experience).

4) fuselage saving, I estimate these nose caps doubled (maybe tripled) the usable life of my fuselages. I have some installation tips, which I will add in another post, that really extends the life of your fuselage with little additional weight.

5) wing tips are not press fit, and less critical but they come as part of the deal and only require a dab of CA or silicone to secure. I have removed and reapplied them more than once, so I would say they are reusable/transferable. I cartwheeled my MIG and had no damage to the nose or wing tips. all i had to do was re-adjusted the servo linkage and i was back in the air. I was overjoyed.

6) light weight, the nose cap can be trimmed to end before the canopy (1.4g) or left full length to give you a couple mm of coverage over the leading edge of the canopy (1.7g). the wing tips are .8g each for an AUW of ~3.3 grams installed

7) cheap! $4.00 a set.

see my photos of fit and post crash damage.

Link here:
http://parkflyerplastics.com/cart/in...3f7ffff0214356
fluxnstuff is offline Find More Posts by fluxnstuff
Last edited by fluxnstuff; Jan 05, 2013 at 04:58 PM. Reason: calculation error
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 06, 2013, 06:56 AM
RC 4 Life
sparks's Avatar
Fort Worth, TX USA
Joined Feb 2001
4,602 Posts
I hope these guards help you guys out.
I made up a batch of 15 and they are on the site and ready to go.
sparks is offline Find More Posts by sparks
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion E-flite UMX MiG 15 DF SNEAK PEEK! D PAYNE Micro EDF Jets and Power Systems 2266 Today 01:24 AM
Discussion UMX Carbon Cub SS Mod Thread MinneFlyer Micro Ready-to-Fly 892 Nov 26, 2014 01:13 PM
Build Log Micro MIG 15 Mod -> Silent Seagull EDF Johannez Electric Ducted Fan Jet Talk 104 Dec 02, 2013 09:24 AM
Discussion UMX Beast 3D BNF vs UMX Mig 15 EDF BNF which is best? Legendary_Agent Electric Plane Talk 108 Feb 20, 2012 02:49 PM