SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Aug 17, 2012, 11:04 PM
"Hey yall watch this"...
United States, NC, Raleigh
Joined Aug 2012
73 Posts
Nitro or someone that has done it please post how to install a better speed control, im very well able to do it, mainly need to know how to hook the throttle up, thanks!!
Planecraazy is offline Find More Posts by Planecraazy
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 17, 2012, 11:26 PM
Team30 Micro EDF
Adelaide, Australia
Joined Apr 2004
11,203 Posts
Two ways - you can tap the throttle signal coming out of the chip or use the xport and mix the throttle into it using your txer if it can do that.
NitroCharged is offline Find More Posts by NitroCharged
Old Aug 18, 2012, 01:18 AM
Joined Jun 2007
239 Posts
Man that x-port is awesome! Really can't decide what to do with it:
-leds
-fpv (waiting for cinemizer OLED)
-camera
-retracts (are you still working on them?)
-and now such an elegant way to go 3S!

I love this bird!
vadimpelau is offline Find More Posts by vadimpelau
Old Aug 18, 2012, 06:33 AM
we can take off without that
London, UK
Joined Nov 2008
838 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroCharged View Post
No I haven't but it's a good idea.

I flew the Mig through a series of lipo's this morning and it was fun! I can now loop at 2/3rd throttle with ease and it's got a great set of legs now.

I'm going to swap out the AIL diff servo's for standard servo's to see how that changes things next. When there is no wind it flies great(besides a tail wag I noticed this morning) but the moment there is wind, it is all over the place. AS3X is saving it's hide in the sales department that's for sure. I will be putting the board back in when I am done as you have to really be on your toes without it. That's why I am messing with the servo's next. Trying to find out if it can fly well without the gyro's and what does it need to accomplish that.
Looking forward to your results with the 'normal' servos + gyro. I have several orange 1.9g servos sitting around and would really like to use them instead of the linear ones, on the wings.
green_flyer is offline Find More Posts by green_flyer
Old Aug 18, 2012, 06:55 AM
Team30 Micro EDF
Adelaide, Australia
Joined Apr 2004
11,203 Posts
Sorry, I should clarify - normal 2030 linear servo's (stripped out of a stuffed Beast3D's wings).

I do have some orange servo's here too but for this test - linear servo's are going in.

In the end, I'm going to replace the wing mounted servo setup with an internal single servo drive system to make room for the retracts.
Old Aug 18, 2012, 10:46 PM
"Hey yall watch this"...
Joined Aug 2012
73 Posts
Nitro can u post a pic of where to tap the throttle signal, id like to leav the x-port avail, my radio is the new dx7s so could do it wit port but have plans for it, ;-) , been in RC for a while and play mechanic 6 days a week so shouldnt be a prob tappin board, also like ur idea of adding som fet's, Thanks for all the good info!!
Old Aug 19, 2012, 07:14 PM
Team30 Micro EDF
Adelaide, Australia
Joined Apr 2004
11,203 Posts
Here is a close up of the chip - it is under the board. The throttle comes off of pin 1. The red markers show the best places to tap the signal. Connecting it to the FET pad would be easiest as it is the largest pad and easiest to access.

Old Aug 19, 2012, 09:39 PM
Team30 Micro EDF
Adelaide, Australia
Joined Apr 2004
11,203 Posts
Just ordered some MOSFETS to piggy back on the boards ESC, Since each is rated to 6A max, I should be able to draw 10A comfortably. That will eliminate the need for an external ESC and the need to go 3S.
Old Aug 19, 2012, 10:13 PM
"Hey yall watch this"...
Joined Aug 2012
73 Posts
Awsome thanks nitro, im itchn to give the mig more oomph, this takes all the hard work out the equation lol, with fet's stacked are u implying u can get more go on 2s? With a diff. Fan I presume. If im not worried about cookin the motor is it ok to just run 3s on ex. Esc? Just want more speed.... Id be intetested in one of ur fan/motor combos when all the r&d is done, I have a 150 mph outlaw, but its something about making something so small go fast. I have a micro stryker also but cant seem to find any info on a 3s setup, Thanks again!
Old Aug 20, 2012, 12:48 AM
Joined Jun 2007
239 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroCharged View Post
Just ordered some MOSFETS to piggy back on the boards ESC, Since each is rated to 6A max, I should be able to draw 10A comfortably. That will eliminate the need for an external ESC and the need to go 3S.
So where do you plan to solder those?

Also, can the mig safely run with the GWS prop on the current setting?
Could the mig run a 200mw video tx and a tiny camera with the default prop?

How about both, GWS prop + FPV system into the x-port?.
Last edited by vadimpelau; Aug 20, 2012 at 12:51 AM. Reason: mw not mv
Old Aug 20, 2012, 02:55 AM
Team30 Micro EDF
Adelaide, Australia
Joined Apr 2004
11,203 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Planecraazy View Post
Awsome thanks nitro, im itchn to give the mig more oomph, this takes all the hard work out the equation lol, with fet's stacked are u implying u can get more go on 2s? With a diff. Fan I presume. If im not worried about cookin the motor is it ok to just run 3s on ex. Esc? Just want more speed.... Id be intetested in one of ur fan/motor combos when all the r&d is done, I have a 150 mph outlaw, but its something about making something so small go fast. I have a micro stryker also but cant seem to find any info on a 3s setup, Thanks again!
Yes, I will be able to draw more amps without triggering the thermal cutout of the FET's.

Running on 3S with an external ESC is the easiest way to go. I have my worries about the bearings at higher revs though. They may not be up to the task as mine have gotten noisy already(listen to them in the micro fan balancing video I just posted).

For me, adding a 3 FET's to the board for a few bucks is way cheaper than using a CC Phoenix 10A ESC that costs 50!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vadimpelau View Post
So where do you plan to solder those?

Also, can the mig safely run with the GWS prop on the current setting?
Could the mig run a 200mw video tx and a tiny camera with the default prop?

How about both, GWS prop + FPV system into the x-port?.
The Mosfets will go straight on top of the first set to share the amp load. They are working as high current switches so it should be fine.

I wouldn't want to push the ESC too hard as the max amps of the mosfets are 6A (5.8A @ 70C). Since the GWS fan causes 6.4A draw - I'd say you'd be pushing it.

The Mig draws around 3.45A on the stock fan. The regulator is a 1 Amp, 1117ADJ VR in a TO223 package, so plenty of spare power on the board out of the servo sockets for things like FPV. It would pay to use a larger lipo than stock so you get some flight time as the 200mW camera sucks around an amp.
Old Aug 20, 2012, 03:56 AM
Joined Jun 2007
239 Posts
So would I get more flight time with a MCPx 300mah 7g battery for the fpv system than through x-port power?

Considering the already added weight of the board, camera and clover leaf antenna*
Old Aug 20, 2012, 05:31 AM
Team30 Micro EDF
Adelaide, Australia
Joined Apr 2004
11,203 Posts
I'd use a 180 or 260 single cell as you only need it to last the flight but yes, you'd get more flight time because of the extra lipo feeding the fpv. Don't worry about that bit of extra weight. It can handle it.

I found that the micro combo I used was sensitive to the ESC noise and wiped out the image when the motor ran so a separate lipo would be a better choice.

Another interesting thing is that the Beast3D uses 4616 8A mosfets for it's speedie, so replacing the 4606's(6A) with 4616's(8A) would give you that little bit more amp supply without stacking fets. However, stacking means simply soldering them on top where replacing them is a lot more work.
Old Aug 20, 2012, 06:32 AM
Joined Jun 2007
239 Posts
Well I'm pretty sure I can neither stack nor replace something at that size with my current equipment. Maybe with a solder station with a fine tip.

I suppose all those tiny feet have to be glued on top of another with no mistakes allowed?
Old Aug 20, 2012, 09:55 AM
Way to many airplanes!
Canada, QC
Joined Oct 2009
5,458 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vadimpelau View Post
Well I'm pretty sure I can neither stack nor replace something at that size with my current equipment. Maybe with a solder station with a fine tip.

I suppose all those tiny feet have to be glued on top of another with no mistakes allowed?
It's not as hard as you think. A steady hand and a fine tip does the trick. You can glue (C.A.) the part on top of the other one, so it doesn't move. Then, bend the little leg into submission and add a dab of solder. If you're like most people, and don't have a good soldering iron for the job, check your local college or university (engineering). Some of them will let you use one of their awesome soldering station for free but if you're lucky, you may even get a student to do the job for you. (They often like to try those odd jobs just for the fun of it and to gain more experience)
RealGambler is offline Find More Posts by RealGambler