HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 28, 2012, 06:46 AM
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Apr 2011
130 Posts
Speaking of ripping the arms off of the quad...I crashed pretty hard the other day. So far I have only been flying inside a hanger but I took it outside and decided to try a flip. Well, it didnt work out so well and I broke three of my arms, and destroyed 1 motor.

250 MWC Quadcopter crash (1 min 8 sec)

I fixed the arms. First I straightened them out and soaked some CA into the glass fibers then I used a couple layers of carbon fiber cloth and resin. They are stronger than stock and didnt add much weight at all.

I trired to fix the motor but the shaft is bent in multiple places and the motor mounting plate (below the stator) is all messed up too.

Thanks,

John
Chevycruizer is offline Find More Posts by Chevycruizer
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 28, 2012, 11:47 AM
Joined Jun 2011
7,752 Posts
First flip attempt over concrete ground. That's brave, Chevy. You paid the price, I see. Glad you got it repaired well. It looked to me as if you hesitated on the cyclic and you did not release the throttle enough while inverted. This leads to large loops and slow flips that require high altitude to perform.

Find a grassy area next time, get more altitude, and increase your end points in your TX, or change the rates in the GUI. On my X250, I have stick scaling up to 107 (KK2) and I can flip with about 12 feet of altitude, but releasing the throttle is paramount to completing the flip before I lose too much altitude. I have a video processing now. I'm getting better by the day at this.

Best,
Chris
bobepine is online now Find More Posts by bobepine
Site Sponsor
Old Jul 28, 2012, 11:58 AM
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Jun 2009
3,216 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jy0933 View Post
i tried to use gps... but it ended up no getting any sat signal

the fw is from terri 2.1 for x250
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=722

gps part config.h

Code:
 /**************************************************************************************/
  /***********************                  GPS                **************************/
  /**************************************************************************************/

/* GPS using a SERIAL port
       only available on MEGA boards (this might be possible on 328 based boards in the future)
       if enabled, define here the Arduino Serial port number and the UART speed
       note: only the RX PIN is used, the GPS is not configured by multiwii
       the GPS must be configured to output GGA and RMC NMEA sentences (which is generally the default conf for most GPS devices)
       at least 5Hz update rate. uncomment the first line to select the GPS serial port of the arduino */
    #define GPS_SERIAL 2 // should be 2 for flyduino v2. It's the serial port number on arduino MEGA
    #define GPS_BAUD   9600

//#define GPS_PROMINI_SERIAL    57600 // Will Autosense if GPS is connected when ardu boots

/* I2C GPS device made with an independant arduino + GPS device
       including some navigation functions
       contribution from EOSBandi   http://code.google.com/p/i2c-gps-nav/ 
       You have to use at least I2CGpsNav code r33 */
    //#define I2C_GPS

/* I2C GPS device made with an indeedent ATTiny[24]313 + GPS device and
       optional sonar device.    https://github.com/wertarbyte/tiny-gps/ */
    /* get GPS data from Tiny-GPS */
    //#define TINY_GPS
    /* get sonar data from Tiny-GPS */
    //#define TINY_GPS_SONAR

/* indicate a valid GPS fix with at least 5 satellites by flashing the LED? */
    #define GPS_LED_INDICATOR

/* GPS data readed from OSD -- still need some more code to work */
    //#define GPS_FROM_OSD

//#define USE_MSP_WP           		//Enables the MSP_WP command, which is used by WinGUI to display and log Home and Poshold positions
						//Uncomment it if you are planning to use WinGUI - Will cost +208 bytes of Flash

//#define DONT_RESET_HOME_AT_ARM             // HOME position is reset at every arm, uncomment it to prohibit it (you can set home position with GyroCalibration)

/* GPS navigation can control the heading */

#define NAV_CONTROLS_HEADING       true      // copter faces toward the navigation point, maghold must be enabled for it
    #define NAV_TAIL_FIRST             false     // true - copter comes in with tail first 
    #define NAV_SET_TAKEOFF_HEADING    true      // true - when copter arrives to home position it rotates it's head to takeoff direction

/* Get your magnetic decliniation from here : http://magnetic-declination.com/
       Convert the degree+minutes into decimal degree by ==> degree+minutes*(1/60)
       Note the sign on declination it could be negative or positive (WEST or EAST) */
    //#define MAG_DECLINIATION  3.96f              //For Budapest Hungary.
    #define MAG_DECLINIATION  0.0f

#define GPS_FILTERING                        // add a 5 element moving average filter to GPS coordinates, helps eliminate gps noise but adds latency comment out to disable
    #define GPS_LOW_SPEED_D_FILTER               // below .5m/s speed ignore D term for POSHOLD_RATE, theoretically this also removed D term induced noise commnent out to disable
    #define GPS_WP_RADIUS              200       // if we are within this distance to a waypoint then we consider it reached (distance is in cm)
    #define NAV_SLEW_RATE              30        // Adds a rate control to nav output, will smoothen out nav angle spikes
tried outdoor... no luck... any define/setup problem? (maybe need to uncomment something?)
Are you really using Mega and a GPS with serial interface? Some GPSs use proprietary protocol, you may have to turn it off and output in NMEA

Is it the new Crius Pro? If it is, check and post on that thread stating which GPS you have:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1677726

If you bought yours from Terri, check if Terri can help.

Good luck.
Wasp09 is offline Find More Posts by Wasp09
Old Jul 28, 2012, 12:02 PM
James not bond
United States, MN, Minneapolis
Joined May 2012
2,074 Posts
they are the mwc mega+gps from terri... that's pretty much why i post here

i believe that one should be pretty much work out of box..
jy0933 is offline Find More Posts by jy0933
Old Jul 28, 2012, 12:31 PM
TECH for XaircraftAmerica!
South Carolina
Joined Mar 2009
5,403 Posts
I have the same mini quad and I am having isuues with the 2.1 code as well. I got the file from Terri, and I uploaded to the board, but my issues is now unless I check all the arm boxes in the gui it will not arm. and that is not good. I can't even calibrate it the gps is getting sats but trying to figure out why I have to check all the arm boxes so now there is no stick arming.
tc3wins is online now Find More Posts by tc3wins
Old Jul 28, 2012, 12:36 PM
Joined Apr 2011
130 Posts
Ya, I put on my big boy pants. There is definately no grass out here (Kandahar Air Base) and really no open areas to fly. Our ramp was unusually empty that day, so I said what the heck and gave it a try. I fly collective pitch heli so I prob gave throttle while inverted thinking I was flying a Trex.

The worst part is that I have everything repaired and ready to fly, minus one motor. Maybe, I will make it into a tri. LOL

Thanks Chris I will use you suggestions and hopefully be flipping like a pro in no time at all. Well after I get another motor.

Thanks,

John

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobepine View Post
First flip attempt over concrete ground. That's brave, Chevy. You paid the price, I see. Glad you got it repaired well. It looked to me as if you hesitated on the cyclic and you did not release the throttle enough while inverted. This leads to large loops and slow flips that require high altitude to perform.

Find a grassy area next time, get more altitude, and increase your end points in your TX, or change the rates in the GUI. On my X250, I have stick scaling up to 107 (KK2) and I can flip with about 12 feet of altitude, but releasing the throttle is paramount to completing the flip before I lose too much altitude. I have a video processing now. I'm getting better by the day at this.

Best,
Chris
Old Jul 28, 2012, 12:37 PM
Joined Jun 2011
7,752 Posts
X250 with KK2 board. Enjoy!

Best,
Chris

http://youtu.be/0Bkr406Swmo

PS: Still testing different rendering options in Vegas Studio HD so the video quality is not great. Still working on finding proper settings to render proper formats for internet sharing.

EDIT: Worked OK on my video player but just noticed it's really crappy on YouTube. Video deleted. Work in progress. Sorry about that!
bobepine is online now Find More Posts by bobepine
Site Sponsor
Last edited by bobepine; Jul 28, 2012 at 12:42 PM.
Old Jul 28, 2012, 12:40 PM
James not bond
Joined May 2012
2,074 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tc3wins View Post
I have the same mini quad and I am having isuues with the 2.1 code as well. I got the file from Terri, and I uploaded to the board, but my issues is now unless I check all the arm boxes in the gui it will not arm. and that is not good. I can't even calibrate it the gps is getting sats but trying to figure out why I have to check all the arm boxes so now there is no stick arming.
im thinking about switching back to 2.0 see how it works
Old Jul 28, 2012, 12:48 PM
South Carolina
Joined Mar 2009
5,403 Posts
with this board still trying to figure out what to define for the gps , I have the listing for the sensors and the board but not the gps and everything else.
Old Jul 28, 2012, 12:53 PM
Joined Apr 2011
130 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jy0933 View Post
btw.. can I just plug bluetooth into osd or sonar( serial ports?)
Sorry, I cant answer any of the questions on the new board GPS. Terri, can you answer any of the GPS questions?

I have the older board and I have bluetooth working. I looked at the pictures of the new board and you dont have the same port that I used. I only needed 4 wires; 5v, ground, TX(in), and RX(out). If you look back I have a post with a link to where I found the directions. I would think that yes, you can use another serial port, but I am unsure how you would turn it on in arduino or the GUI.

Dont think that other thread members are blowing you guys off, I (we) just dont have an answer.

Thanks,

John
Old Jul 28, 2012, 12:57 PM
United States, VA, Fairfax
Joined Feb 2011
380 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevycruizer View Post
Sorry, I cant answer any of the questions on the new board GPS. Terri, can you answer any of the GPS questions?

I have the older board and I have bluetooth working. I looked at the pictures of the new board and you dont have the same port that I used. I only needed 4 wires; 5v, ground, TX(in), and RX(out). If you look back I have a post with a link to where I found the directions. I would think that yes, you can use another serial port, but I am unsure how you would turn it on in arduino or the GUI.

Dont think that other thread members are blowing you guys off, I (we) just dont have an answer.

Thanks,

John
Thanks for pointing that out, John. I'm in the same position. Reading all these questions about the new board, but not being able to help because I own the older board. Hopefully, more people will be joining the thread soon with their new boards and can contribute to the discussion.
ukarmy04 is offline Find More Posts by ukarmy04
Old Jul 28, 2012, 01:06 PM
South Carolina
Joined Mar 2009
5,403 Posts
I will have to say. Terri gets some cool stuff. just wish the stuff he does get would come with more info. LOL like a manual or something.

I will be getting with Terri later today and hopefully will be getting the bugs worked and I will post what works.
Old Jul 28, 2012, 01:19 PM
James not bond
Joined May 2012
2,074 Posts
afaik, the bluetooth uses serial ports

on the terri's new mega board, gps is serial ports... it appears to me osd and xbee ports are both serial too. but I need to find that small white plug to try it out... wonder where can I find one

Last edited by jy0933; Jul 28, 2012 at 01:29 PM.
Old Jul 28, 2012, 01:49 PM
ProFester
United States, NY, Wallkill
Joined Feb 2008
184 Posts
I am having trouble loading 2.1 on my new MEGA /GPS .MY GPS also dosent work with 2.0 .I have also been thru the config.h files with no luck .It shows green in 2.0 but not active even with 4 and 6 satilites on the bottem of the GUI found . If you have loaded the new 2.1 firmware What os are you using ? and what driver is the board using when u connect USB ? I can not get the new firmware uploaded . Any answers would be great ...Thanks
Fester 1 is offline Find More Posts by Fester 1
Old Jul 28, 2012, 02:59 PM
James not bond
Joined May 2012
2,074 Posts
did you select the right board ?