152 Posts
usp filtered isopropyl alcohol bottle 16oz spray bottle
jinsing is offline Find More Posts by jinsing
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 11, 2012, 09:11 PM
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Apr 2011
130 Posts
I started to assemble the miniQ today, but didn't get very far mechanically...I dont have any flux, nor the correct size allen wrench (deployed to Afghanistan). Does anybody know what the 4 smallest plastic spacers are used for? I didn't see them installed in any photos? No biggie, I got everything installed finger tight and it looks complete. The flux is in the mail and I am checking with a maintenance unit here tomorrow for the allen wrench. I'm assuming its metric. Anyone know the exact size? (2mm allen and a 5.5mm wrench others have used a 6mm wrench, but mine was definately a 5.5 for threaded spacer - Thanks EBen63060)

The good news is that I got into the GUI immediately and everything is working. I am 99% positive that 2.0 was already loaded into mine. I first tried using MultiWiiConfig 1.9 and it would not read, so I tried 2.0 and bingo, all sensor data "good to go".

Is there a way to read the sketch that is already loaded into the board? I am not going to change anything, I just want to see what Terri has turned on or "//defined".

Also, as a hint to anyone who is using tc3wins set up videos (Great Job by the way!) you do not have to have a flight battery for this board if you unplug the esc from the header pins. I am hooked up right now and everything is working with usb power.

MutiWiiCoper quote -WiiBoard CPU/software Ops comes from the USB cable from the PC/Mac via an FTDI connector and this is all that is need for a board and Rx during initial setup (board & Rx not connected to the 4 ESCs yet). However 5v power from USB is limited (amp output on USB 5v by your PC is limited) - and once all your ESC speed controllers are connected then you also need the main LiPo cell connected (this will activate the 5v power BECs in each ESC) to make changes to a finished and flight ready multicopter.

John
Chevycruizer is offline Find More Posts by Chevycruizer
Last edited by Chevycruizer; Jun 13, 2012 at 12:56 PM. Reason: updated size of tools needed
Old Jun 12, 2012, 12:13 AM
United States, TX, Arlington
Joined Jun 2011
152 Posts
Name: ImageUploadedByTapatalk1339477963.271401.jpg
Views: 107
Size: 63.1 KB
Description: Name: ImageUploadedByTapatalk1339477977.919183.jpg
Views: 150
Size: 42.0 KB
Description:
jinsing is offline Find More Posts by jinsing
Old Jun 12, 2012, 01:16 AM
Joined Jun 2011
7,369 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jinsing View Post
Looks pretty neat! Good work! Since I'm stuck at home bored due to island wide closures in Taiwan (I prefer that than having to go to work!), I will make one today.

Best,
Chris
bobepine is online now Find More Posts by bobepine
Site Sponsor
Old Jun 12, 2012, 01:27 AM
Joined Jun 2011
7,369 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by EBen63060 View Post
I know your pain Chris. I live in Southern Wa. and usually have to do yard work with a snorkel!! Maybe I should think about RC Submarines!
Well, it started off with a lot of rain, but it hasn't stopped yet. I'm sad to report that some people are missing in landslides, others reported dead and the whole island of Taiwan is flooded. This is what it looks like around here now.

I'm pretty lucky because there is floods all around my house, but for some reason, my city block has better drainage system so we're still OK. Every time floods occur, which is every summer (rainy season) my house stays dry. Fingers crossed. Knock on wood.

This to say that flying outdoor is not an option at the moment. Not that I will complain about that. Some people in my neck of the woods have much greater worries. My prayers are with them.

Best,
Chris
Site Sponsor
Old Jun 12, 2012, 01:54 AM
Joined Jun 2011
7,369 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wasp09 View Post
Hi Chris,

My Crius SE finally arrived today. It comes with 1.9 for quadX. I flashed dev_2012_0606 onto it for testing as 1.9 GUI does not come with 64bit shared libs to run on my linux box.
This is above my computer skills, sorry. I had to hire an IT tech to sort all that out for me.

Quote:
How does your MWC SE compare to your KK? Does it fly better with all the bells and whistles?
I have two quads using a KK board. Both are not as stable as the MWC, though the difference is negligible. The KK boards are also very stable. The main difference is the KK board needs to be trimmed a bit. I have yet to need trims on the MWC. It's rock solid.

On my 450, the agility is less than the MWC, but on my 250, the agility is INSANE. WAY more aggressive than the MWC... Like WAY, WAY more. Too much, in fact. The frame is a 12 inch from QuadAddict I purchased from tc3wins. When I bought the frame, I asked him what I needed to have this quad fly aggressively. He recommended 2822 motors with 8 inch props. So that's what I did. Man.... Oh man... I ask him for a setup recommendation for good performance. He set me up with a monster. As I was worried to lack good cyclic response to flip it, I set the end points to 150%, just like on my MWC... That did not work. I am not kidding, my first flip attempt resulted in a triple flip stationary. Did not even lose altitude. All I heard is a loud V V V V V V V sound and this thing flipped 31/2 times so fast I couldn't see it. Lost orientation and crashed. It's repaired now and I settled for 100% on the end points. It flips about the same as my MWC now but I still have A LOT of room to make it flip MUCH faster.

As for the rudder, it's the same. It spins so fast the props colors all blends into one and you can't tell which way is which. I will show a video of that indoor today if I remember. For the rudder, I settled to 120% and it's manageable.

That being said, I think the MWC can be programmed to have equal, if not even more aggressive rates. Just haven't tried yet.

Quote:
Do you find AltHold useful?
No. Don't use it. Haven't had time to set it up, though. Been raining too much and I want to set that up outdoor. Same with PID. Had no chance to mock with this yet. But so far, I much prefer the way it flies in acro mode.

Quote:
The baro reading on mine does not seem that steady.
Mine is also not steady. The heading varies.

Best,
Chris
Site Sponsor
Old Jun 12, 2012, 04:03 AM
I make quad pieces.
United States, WA
Joined Apr 2012
140 Posts
Hey John, not sure about the spacers either. I omitted them. It is a 2mm allen wrench for the screws and 6mm wrench for the standoffs. Wish I could e-mail you flux! I use rosin core solder, don't use flux.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevycruizer View Post
I started to assemble the miniQ today, but didn't get very far mechanically...I dont have any flux, nor the correct size allen wrench (deployed to Afghanistan). Does anybody know what the 4 smallest plastic spacers are used for? I didn't see them installed in any photos? No biggie, I got everything installed finger tight and it looks complete. The flux is in the mail and I am checking with a maintenance unit here tomorrow for the allen wrench. I'm assuming its metric. Anyone know the exact size?

John
EBen63060 is offline Find More Posts by EBen63060
Old Jun 12, 2012, 04:07 AM
I make quad pieces.
United States, WA
Joined Apr 2012
140 Posts
Wow Chris,I am sorry you are going through that. We had a really bad flood 3 years ago. At least I thought it was bad until I saw your photos. Hope it subsides soon. Take care and you'll be in my prayers, Earl

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobepine View Post
Well, it started off with a lot of rain, but it hasn't stopped yet. I'm sad to report that some people are missing in landslides, others reported dead and the whole island of Taiwan is flooded. This is what it looks like around here now.

I'm pretty lucky because there is floods all around my house, but for some reason, my city block has better drainage system so we're still OK. Every time floods occur, which is every summer (rainy season) my house stays dry. Fingers crossed. Knock on wood.

This to say that flying outdoor is not an option at the moment. Not that I will complain about that. Some people in my neck of the woods have much greater worries. My prayers are with them.

Best,
Chris
EBen63060 is offline Find More Posts by EBen63060
Old Jun 12, 2012, 09:24 AM
Joined Jun 2011
7,369 Posts
Thanks, Earl. Me and mine are resting safe in a dry house. The death toll has risen out there, though. And it's still raining hard....

Wasp, you asked about the difference between the KK board and the MWC. Here's a couple videos for comparison sake. Both flights with identical settings. I throw the small one around a bit more and that's because it is smaller, less powerful and safer indoor. You can see the piro rate doesn't compare, though.

Below are also some pictures of both quads to see the size difference and a picture of my DIY cover over the electronics. I used the lid from a Skippy peanut butter jar.

ESC's tucked in under the main board:

Now here's a size comparison:

QuadAddict Quad- Insane Piro rate Part 2 (5 min 44 sec)

MWC 250 Quad~Indoor Flight Demo (2 min 37 sec)

Best,
Chris
Site Sponsor
Old Jun 12, 2012, 09:39 AM
Richmond, Oh USA
Joined Feb 2001
87 Posts
Hi Chris,

Nice looking quads...

I thought the piro/yaw rate was way too slow on the 250 also. Start MultiWiiConfig, then READ your PID settings.

Now change the YAW 'P' to 4 (increases Piro Rate). Change the RC Rate to 1.0 (increases all control throws). Now WRITE them to the quad. Your piro rate will be much better, it helped mine.

Later

John L.
John Boy is online now Find More Posts by John Boy
Old Jun 12, 2012, 09:55 AM
Joined Jun 2011
7,369 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Boy View Post
Hi Chris,

Nice looking quads...

I thought the piro/yaw rate was way too slow on the 250 also. Start MultiWiiConfig, then READ your PID settings.

Now change the YAW 'P' to 4 (increases Piro Rate). Change the RC Rate to 1.0 (increases all control throws). Now WRITE them to the quad. Your piro rate will be much better, it helped mine.

Later

John L.
Thank you, John. I shall work on that when I get a chance to do outdoor tests. I'd hate to set PIDs indoor only to find out the quad oscillates in a breeze or on recovery after pulling flips. I plan to bring my laptop to the field and set my PID to my liking on a dry weekend.

Best,
Chris
Site Sponsor
Old Jun 12, 2012, 10:53 AM
Live for speed
USA, CT, Bethany
Joined Mar 2004
1,368 Posts
Increasing Yaw 'P' affects the P-term of the control loop, not the yaw rate.

You can either increase Yaw rate (last field after YAW P-I-D) and/or RC Rate.

See here

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Boy View Post
Hi Chris,

Nice looking quads...

Later

John L.
GoFaster is offline Find More Posts by GoFaster
Old Jun 12, 2012, 11:36 AM
United States, VA, Fairfax
Joined Feb 2011
374 Posts
Hey guys, just thought I'd let everyone know that if you've broken or bent a prop on this quad - it can be fixed!

I had one blade completely snap off and another that had a fatigue bend in it. I thought that if I used som CA on the broken prop and coated the bend of the fatigued prop it might be enough to hold it. Turns out it was. I was able to hover and do basic circuits with the patched props but I don't want to push it with 3D. I guess they're small enough that CA can withstand all the forces the blades undergo.
ukarmy04 is online now Find More Posts by ukarmy04
Old Jun 12, 2012, 12:15 PM
Custom quad builder
United States, TX, Spring
Joined Apr 2012
2,364 Posts
I have a ? Is there any way to set stick sensitivity I can move my sticks about 1/6 in and it's moving are is that the best way for me to learn. And Btw chris Peter pan is better than skippy
tech69x is offline Find More Posts by tech69x
Old Jun 12, 2012, 01:01 PM
Joined Jun 2011
7,369 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tech69x View Post
I have a ? Is there any way to set stick sensitivity I can move my sticks about 1/6 in and it's moving are is that the best way for me to learn. And Btw chris Peter pan is better than skippy
You can add expo in your TX to reduce stick sensitivity at center stick, and the GUI allows you to program in some expo into the board, as well. There is no best way to learn, in my opinion. It's very subjective. It all depends on what feels right to you. Personally, I do not use any expo so I would lean toward telling you to reduce your end points to make the quad tame and train your thumbs, instead, but frankly, a large majority of people would probably tell you to program in some expo. So best would be to try some expo and see how you like it. Be careful not to reduce the end points too much because you lose the ability to recover on time if you need get away from an obstacle. Expo is, perhaps, a better option for beginners. I learned to fly CP helis without expo so now if I use it, my sticks feel sluggish. I dislike it. It's a personal thing.

Here's a good video that will give you a clear picture of what expo will do for you. It's for helis/planes, but it has the same effect on quads so this explanation is valid. If you watch his other videos, he will run you though other useful TX settings. This specific video covers expo.

Transmitter Dual Rate and Expo Theory, Part 2 of 2 (10 min 46 sec)

Not sure about Peter Pan, mate. Plus, the real skippy is a very cool Kangaroo.

Best,
Chris
Site Sponsor
Last edited by bobepine; Jun 12, 2012 at 01:09 PM.